CasTell

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Hey.

First off, i might aswell tell you my computer specs.

Intel Core 2 Duo (conroe) E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
Asus p5w Dh deluxe
Radeon X1900XTX @ factory default clock
Cossair TWIN2X2048-6400 2 GB XMS2 Ram
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
Syncmaster 19inc screen, 1024*1280
(if there is anything you need to know, tell me please)
I have never overclocked this system, Yet.

Now, this was a awesome system when i bought this PC 2 years ago, back in fall 2006. It can still play new games, but not totally flawless. I mainly use my PC for video/audio editing, photoshop, audio mastering, Some gaming (World of warcraft, Counter strike source/same as half life 2, COD4)

Now here is the thing about this topic, i want to know if i should upgrade some of my components, or leave it as it stands here for another year or so. Graphic cards like the 8800GT looks very tempting because of its low price.

Now i will just tell you what i have been thinking about doing :

I will definitely overclock this system. I bought it with the purpose of overclocking, but when i bought it, it ran so good without any overclock that i changed my mind and just left it standard. Now is the time to overclock it and get the true value out of it. I already got the overclocking part covered so this is not the main thing, i just wanted to let you know that this is what i intend with this system, and the motherboard should be really overclocking compatible.

I will most likely buy the ultima-90... the reason for this is because it has very good performance nearing the TRUE, but it is half its weight and i move my computer around alot, and go to LANS, so a big cooler like the TRUE wont be good for me right? it could do damage? tell me if i am wrong here. What do you think?

I will buy a HR-03 GT and put it either on my X1900XTX, or should i buy the 8800GT. It has alot of power for a small amount of money. I just dont know if it would be smart since the new generation of ATI cards are comming out soon, or should i just settle with my X1900XTX?

I have my duo core, but i do alot of multitasking, like music production, plus gaming. Would it be valuable to buy the Q6600?

Here is my solutions :

I could stay with my current setup, just buy coolers for my GFX card and CPU and overclock the hell out of it. (thinking 400 FSB for a 3.6 on the CPU 1:1)

I could buy a 8800GT + coolers and overclock the **** out of my system (or you got some other suggestions?)

Buy a 8800GT (or other) + a quad core + coolers and overclock the hell out of my system.

Some solution you got? What do you think? So I'm definitely overclocking, but should i envest in some never hardware, or should i keep this one for now and buy a whole new computer in a year or so?

Thanks alot.

Daniel Clark

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I would start with an 8800gt (or GTS)
If you want more speed after the Vid upgrade or notice it lags a bit get a e8400 or 8500 or Q6600+...

weinzey

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
now is the worst time to upgrade your graphics card. if you dont have to, just dont.
ati is releasing new cards late mai/early june and nvidia in july. even if you wont buy one of those, old cards will get cheaper by that time.
concerning cpu, intel will release their new socket late 2008, so i wouldnt upgrade till then and stick with your e6600 which is still quite good.
just oc, should be enough to get by for half a year

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I'd go with a cheap 8800gt, like the loud XFX one, and rip that crap cooler off. Toss an S1 or HR03 (I like the S1 with fans because it's cheap) and OC the card and the CPU. Should keep you going for another year or so until you can switch to the new sockets.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
You could wait until the new gen of cards, but for some reason when the new ones come out the old ones don't get cheaper... At least not much. I'd say you've waited long enough.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I don't know, It seems to me that you still have a pretty decent system unless you really feel that it's not cutting it anymore then overclocking is certainly a good idea. I myself using a TR Ultima and it's a very good heat sink and gives performances nearing those of the top dogs for half the seize.

As for your GPU even if it's getting a bit dated it's far from being crappy and remains rather high on the GPU chart. IF you really have the hitch then yes the 8800 GTS 512 or 8800 GT are both good choices.

CasTell

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
thanks a lot for the helpfull replies.
After reading your replies I looked into the new cards coming out and it seems to me that It would be wisest to wait. I will problably just buy the two coolers (hr-03 gt and ultima-90 -- anybody got good experience with them? Remember I need to be able to move my pc) and overclock my computer. And with the new socket coming out and everything, i bet I would be smarter to buy a completely new system early next year. What do you think of this?