Sound not working after OS reinstall!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
ok i just reinstalled windows xp. i cannot hear any sounds now. my computer doesnt dectect my speakers. it doesnt show any audio device. it was working fine before i reinstalled. help anyone??

Solution

You need all the drivers installed, including chipset, SMBus, etc.
I found where someone has posted a complete set of drivers for that machine
HERE.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
You need your Sound Drivers. What is the make/model of your computer? If you don't know this (if its custom) then download CPUID and check the model of your motherboard, once you have that, post it back to us and we'll help you locate the drivers.

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
my computer is a dell dimension 1100 and i tried to download the drivers for sound at dell.com but it wouldt work the only driver that had an error. i dont kno much about computers thank you for your help.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

OK, give me a second I'll try to find the drivers for you.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Was this the driver you tried?
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R105155&SystemID=DIM_CEL_1100&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=2430&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=3&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=135650

If so, then the problem may be that you have an add-on sound card. If this is the case, then you would need to open up the PC case, and check to see if you can get a make/model of the soundcard, and post back to us.

But in the mean time, if you haven't tried the driver above, then do so. Just download it, it would auto locate where it needs to be installed and extract the file, once you've done that, follow the instructions (useally next, next and next) and it may ask you to reboot your computer. After that, your sound should be working.

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Error. Unable to retrieve the requested information.

Note:This error may occur if an invalid URL (broken link) was used to request this page.

If you came to this page from another area on Dell's website, please click on the [+] Feedback link located in the footer of this page to notify Dell's Webmaster Support team of the error you have encountered.

If you used a personal bookmark or came to this page from non-Dell web site, please update your bookmarks or inform other site about the broken link.

your link didnt work?

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

if i open my case up what would my sound card look like where is it at??

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
and i tried the only audio download they had for my computer at dell . it wouldnt download it says something about the download being corrupt try again but when i try again it still doesnt work

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

so i have my case open what exactly am i looking for????

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hmm, I'll download the file, and upload it to a file hoster and post you the link. Please try this file first, before going and opening up the machine, if this dosen't work, I'll guide you through what to look for in the PC.

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

ok well i tried the link didnt work lets try the file hoster one

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

and i think that my sound card is built into my motherboard???maybe...looked for it by the sound ports on the back of computer but i didnt see any names or nothin

munyc

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

You can try using
1) window update & choose custom mode & let window find the driver for you or
2) Go to device manager and click sound,video and game controller. On this expand it & choose the sound device(according to your built in sound card). Click driver and click update driver. Try & let me know.
Cheers

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

windows update is not gna be an option for me......and i cant seem to find what your talking about ...

You need all the drivers installed, including chipset, SMBus, etc.
I found where someone has posted a complete set of drivers for that machine
HERE.

Solution

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

ok ima download it can u walk me thru what else i have to do plz?

danielray06

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

OMFG I THINK IT WORKED......man i love you!!!!!lmao ty sosososososososososo very much your awesome dont kno wat i would do without u man your a freakin genius :p

Status
Not open for further replies.