abhijith

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I once overclocked my Phenom 9550 from 2.2 to 2.4GHz without any voltage change. The computer booted up the 1st day and then after 2-4 days I played assassins creed. I then minimized the game and then went to surf the net. Then the computer rebooted and then told me that the OC had failed. IS the phenom 9550 that bad at overclocking that I cant even go to 2.4GHz without a voltage change???? Also I have another doubt. I am using an Asus M3A78-CM mobo. The bios says that the CPU temp. is 47-49 degrees. The Asus PC Probe utility says that the idle temp. is 47-49degrees, but the AMD Overdrive utility says that Cores 0,1,2,3 are all around 30 degrees. So doesn't that mean that the total CPU temp. should also be around 30 degrees?? I am very confused which utility should I trust??? Also what is the max load temp for this processor. Also is the stability test software in the AMD Overdrive useful for checking system stability or should I use another software? Which other software do u guys recommend?

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
ASUS M3A IS THE WORST MOBO IMO, i had it with a 9550, couldnt do anything, i had to buy a new mobo, and now OCing is alot easier, if i didn't accidently change my FSB to 320 instead of 230 =[

drdeathx

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

you need to loosen timings when overclocking.

Sorry, that is confusing the way I said that, by lowering I actually mean slower timings, so technically that means you need to raise the timings to make them slower.

abhijith

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
What about my temperature problems? Which is more reliable AMD Overdrive or the Bios? I want to reach 2.6GHz with my Phenom? Will my memory be a problem?What should my voltage for the processor be? Should I use an aftermarket cooler?