PC Crash, Help requested!

gramps000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
If I'm in the wrong thread I apologize, I'm new to this forum.

I have an HP m1160n which is an Athlon 3400+ 1GB XP Media Center w/SP2 .
Today when I fired it up. it stops at the opening HP Logo screen where I could normally choose to change BIOS settings, etc. The problem is that I cannot leave this screen. I suspect a motherboard failure.

I have removed the primary HD and put it in another PC and it is working just fine. I had a similar problem with another HP (exact same symptoms and hard drive test results) a month ago and although replacing the MB did fix the problem, I'm suspicious of 2 similar MB problems in such close time proximity. BTW, on the other PC I had to replace the CPU and memory because I did not use an exact replacement MB since HP wanted $400 for something not worth $50. (huge issues but that's for another post).

Is it likely this problem is really the MB? Any suggestions before I replace this MB too along with CPU & memory and then deal w/Microsoft t get the OS to work with the non-HP MB.

Thanks in Advance for your help.

So you can't even get into the BIOS?

I would unhook all unessential parts and try to boot it up with 1 stick of RAM only. No drives, no USB devices, just a PS2 keyboard. If that fails try another stick of RAM and then another RAM slot.

I would also take it apart and rebuild it. If after all that you still see the splash screen but can't do anything else I would assume it's probably the MOBO. Could be the BIOS chip itself.

Is there a key to disable the splash screen? There may be a message there from the boot block BIOS, possibly.

gramps000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
There is a way to disable the splash screen, but it's done in the BIOS!

I'll try your suggestions and let you know. Thanks.

gramps000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
The system is around 3 years old, but on the battery suggestion, wouldn't a weak or dead battery just lose the time, or maybe a system password, etc?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "reset the BIOS". The PC won't boot and I can't get to the BIOS setup. Are you referring to a switch or jumper on the MB perhaps?

gramps000

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
notherdude, I removed a TV video card that has been in the machine since day one, as well as 2 USB devices along with the HD and was able to get into the BIOS.

I made the change to hide the splash screen and see the diagnostics. I also put the HD back in. The PC booted up without a problem. I am amazed, and I thank you immensely.

I reconnected the USB devices one at a time and each (external HDD, wireless N adapter) is working just fine.

I had no idea an unused card could do something like this.

Thanks again for all your help.

That is very good news!