Asus P5KR + Q6600 oc question

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Asus
  • Corsair Dominator
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 22, 2009 12:07:18 PM

Hey, i'm trying to oc my cpu to 3ghz. This is my rig: Q6600, Zalman CNPS 9700LED, Asus P5KR MoBo, Corsair Dominator CM2x2048-8500C5D, Leadtek PX8800GT, 550W Thermaltake PSU.
First problem would be the voltage readings in CPU-Z on default: ~1.194v on idle and ~1.098v on Full Load.
My CPU has 1.25v VID so those reading are kinda strange or my mobo has a problem. So i started changing some seting in bios: i set the voltage to my cpu to 1.25v but no change in voltage readings in CPU-Z.
Now leaving this behind i started trying to overclock, and these are the settings i used:
C1E - Disabled, CPU TM function - enabled, Intel SpeedStep - disabled, Cpu ratio: 8, FSB 375, PCIE Freq 100, Dram freq on Auto, Ram Timings on Auto, Cpu voltage 1.25v, Dram Voltage Auto, NB Voltage Auto, Load-Limit Calibration - Disabled, CPU & PCIE Spread Spectrum on Auto.
DRAM freq on Auto has set it on 940 Mhz but i tried first with 901 Mhz but wasn't stable with any voltage on the CPU with the max 1.35 in bios (which was read in CPU-Z 1.28v). I set the dram freq on 940 and started again raising voltage on step even though the steps were kinda big .. from 1.2500v the next voltage i have is 1.2625. I finaly mange to get it "stable" a a voltage of 1.3500v in bios. Ran Prime95 in Small FFT Test for 1 hour without problems and another hour in blend testing. Max temperature was 62 °C. I know 1 hour is not enough will let it for at least 12 hours to see but don't have the time now ( even though 1 hour in small fft, another in blen and 3dmark, pcmark make it stable enough for me). The performance gain in CPU tests is ~25% more.
Now the questions are: Is this an ok overclock ? 1.3500V is the real voltage or 1.28v that is read in CPU-Z ?
This is how it looks now in CPU-Z with 1.3500v in bios:

~30% load

100% load

More about : asus p5kr q6600 question

February 22, 2009 12:45:52 PM

the reason why your voltages are lower than you manually set them to is because v-droop. some chips do it worse than others, but as long as it doesn't effect stability, don't worry about it. i think there is also a bios setting that can limit v-droop, but, the name escapes me.
February 22, 2009 3:04:02 PM

That's good to hear, tnx. My Mobo doesn't really have that many Oc options unfortunately. The only two options i have left are: Load Limit Calibration which i disabled for stability reasons and Clock Over-Charging Voltage that i left on Auto cuz i have no idea what it does.
Related resources
February 22, 2009 4:10:47 PM

the bios is mysterious. the manuals that come with the motherboards are less than useful for figuring out the settings. sometimes i think the people that write the manuals are clueless.
February 22, 2009 4:48:09 PM

Can't really tell if you were ironical with that answer but i really don't know what to understand from "Clock Over-Charging Mode: Configuration options: Auto, 0.70v, 0.80v, 0.90v, 1.0v" that being all that is written for it. And also the manual has some stuff in that normaly would have to be in my bios (why would they put them in the manual if they are not supposed to be) but still they aren't in my bios. Things like: Cpu voltage referance, CPU voltage damper, NB voltage referance.
February 22, 2009 5:37:14 PM

unknownuser said:
"Clock Over-Charging Mode: Configuration options: Auto, 0.70v, 0.80v, 0.90v, 1.0v" that being all that is written for it.

exactly, heres an example out of my mobo manual:
"Intel(r) C-STATE teck [ENABLED]
configuration options: [disabled] [enabled]"
my manual has stupid info like that. they somehow think that it isn't necessary to tell what the option does.
!