Closed

Low disk space, slow pc?

Tags:
  • Disk Space
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 12, 2010 9:35:23 AM

My computer has been quite slow this past few days and my friend said low disk space can reduce a computer's performance.
I installed Windows XP in a 20GB partition and it has 3GB free space left. :??: 

More about : low disk space slow

Best solution

September 12, 2010 11:10:00 AM

Grumpvofr said:
My computer has been quite slow this past few days and my friend said low disk space can reduce a computer's performance.
I installed Windows XP in a 20GB partition and it has 3GB free space left. :??: 

Your friend is quite right. Download ATF Cleaner from http://www.atribune.org and CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com and use both to find and delete different levels of clutter.

Open up Folder Options to Show Hidden Files and unhide Protected Files and Folders. Go to C:\Windows and delete all but the first of the files that show up in vblue and start with a $ symbol. Next go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the contents of the Download and Event Cache subfolders. That should get you about 3Gb back after emptying the Recycle Bin and there's a bit more if you go to C:\Windows\Wallpper and bin all but the desktop background you use.

Go into Control Panel>System and tick to turn off System Restore. Restart the computer, go back in and turn it back on but this time, drag the slider to the left to 5%. You get fewer Restore Points but you don't have the space for more. While in Control Panel, go to Power Options and if Hibernate is ticked, take it off - you don't have the space for it.

It will be interesting to see how much you gain. Defragment after another restart and then run CCleaner again, this time ticking the option to Wipe Free Space. Untick that option after a restart or it will do that every time and take longer to declutter.

September 12, 2010 1:08:45 PM

Best answer selected by Grumpvofr.
Score
Related resources
September 12, 2010 1:34:31 PM

@Saga Lout
Thanks man! I got around 8.5GB disk space back! :D  :D  :D 
Score
September 12, 2010 3:53:22 PM

Grumpvofr said:
@Saga Lout
Thanks man! I got around 8.5GB disk space back! :D  :D  :D 

A new British All-Comers Record, I do believe. You really must try to de-clutter more frequently.

Score
August 12, 2011 3:46:30 AM

Saga Lout said:
Your friend is quite right. Download ATF Cleaner from http://www.atribune.org and CCleaner from http://www.piriform.com and use both to find and delete different levels of clutter.

Open up Folder Options to Show Hidden Files and unhide Protected Files and Folders. Go to C:\Windows and delete all but the first of the files that show up in vblue and start with a $ symbol. Next go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all the contents of the Download and Event Cache subfolders. That should get you about 3Gb back after emptying the Recycle Bin and there's a bit more if you go to C:\Windows\Wallpper and bin all but the desktop background you use.

Go into Control Panel>System and tick to turn off System Restore. Restart the computer, go back in and turn it back on but this time, drag the slider to the left to 5%. You get fewer Restore Points but you don't have the space for more. While in Control Panel, go to Power Options and if Hibernate is ticked, take it off - you don't have the space for it.

It will be interesting to see how much you gain. Defragment after another restart and then run CCleaner again, this time ticking the option to Wipe Free Space. Untick that option after a restart or it will do that every time and take longer to declutter.

Following your suggestions, I gained 950MB, but then after restarting free space showed only 17MB. I suspect a virus but don't know how to proceed now. Any suggestions?
Score
August 12, 2011 8:08:40 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It might be better to start your own thread on this but your problem may be in System restore or Hibernation settings. Turn both off and restart and your space may show up again but even 950Mb isn't much free space anyway. What size is your drive?

You could defragment the disk then run CCleaner with the Wipe Free Space option ticked (don't forget to untick it afterwards or it will do it on every pass) then you may see some difference.

Score
October 7, 2011 1:14:02 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!