Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with video card driver (no videa in media players)

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 14, 2012 2:18:10 AM

Edit: Solved, the person that did the repair didn't know what the problem was but it's fixed now :D 

Hey everyone, I have a problem with my video driver, and I hope someone here could help me. I will try to give as much details as possible.

- I have a NVidia GeForce 9600M GT video card and installed the latest drivers; and Windows Vista 32-bit on a laptop
- When playing a video file on any media player; all I get is a black screen (though audio works fine).
If I disable the video driver, load a video, pause it and then enable the driver again; I get a video; however the quality is only decent for low quality videos and in Media Player Classic I don't have subtitles.
When I uninstalled the video driver I had perfect video quality in MPC even for high quality videos; however I don't have subtitles (the error message I get is: CreateDevice Failed, Error Code 0x8876086A, DX9AllocatorPresenterFailed, D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE)
Btw streaming videos online does work; however not in fullscreen mode.
- Windows picture gallery (or whatever it's called in English, it's the default program that opens picture files in windows) doesn't work either - however the slide shows do work
- Games don't work either (The only game I tried is Touhou, but I found out it only doesn't work in windowed mode); since I don't game often I'm not sure about this one; some/many games might work.

I really hope someone can help me fix this problem, if you need more information please let me know I will try to provide it.

Thanks,
Bas

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2012 9:16:13 AM

You need codec to play videos in windows vista.
http://www.download.hr/software-k-lite-codec-pack-stand...
Use VLC media player it is free and will play most videos out there.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
October 14, 2012 3:40:14 PM

Thanks, I have the codecs installed; I also have VLC however it doesn't work very well (even when I my video card driver was working properly)
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 15, 2012 5:12:12 AM

Use windows update to install all necessary updates.
What video files are you trying to play?
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:37:10 AM

I will try to install the updates (if there are any available)

It's mainly .mkw files I try to play
m
l
October 16, 2012 3:09:51 PM

.mkw I mean
m
l
October 16, 2012 3:12:06 PM

.mkv (sorry for the spam can't edit message for some reason)
m
l
October 23, 2012 4:53:18 PM

Best answer selected by Bas3.
m
l
!