Sign in with
Your question

Windows folder is 19GB

Last response: in Windows 8
December 25, 2012 12:31:51 AM

I just installed Windows 8 a few days ago. I have a few things installed and all the currently available updates installed. For some reason my Windows folder is a bit over 19GB!

Here is a breakdown of my Windows folder: http://i.imgur.com/49nSd.png

I've already moved my pagefile off my SSD, disabled hibernation, and disabled system restore. Disk cleanup can't find anymore stuff to remove in the system files.

Is this normal?

More about : windows folder 19gb

a b * Windows 8
December 25, 2012 12:37:21 AM

did you upgrade or do a clean install
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 25, 2012 12:37:57 AM

About how big mine is. It shows you right in your picture what the biggest folder is, 9GB is the WinSxS folder.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2012 12:49:09 AM

te100 said:
did you upgrade or do a clean install

Clean install

getochkn said:
About how big mine is. It shows you right in your picture what the biggest folder is, 9GB is the WinSxS folder.

Well I guess it's good to know that my Windows folder size isn't abnormal. The really worrying thing is how big the winsxs folder is already with the low amount of stuff installed.

Surely this can't be right.
m
l
December 25, 2012 1:08:06 AM

windows takes up a lot of room, by disabling hibernation, and system restore, IE (in favor of Firefox or Chrome) and a few windows items I trim the 21GB down to 13GB installation size. I have a 60GB drive.

I would suggest leaving the pagefile alone btw.
m
l
December 25, 2012 1:12:48 AM

skidawgz said:
windows takes up a lot of room, by disabling hibernation, and system restore, IE (in favor of Firefox or Chrome) and a few windows items I trim the 21GB down to 13GB installation size. I have a 60GB drive.

I would suggest leaving the pagefile alone btw.

I didn't disable the pagefile, only change the location the pagefile file is saved. Never had a problem and haven been doing that for years.
m
l
December 25, 2012 6:39:14 AM

If you look at the 'drives' used/free space you will notice that it does not equal the tally of each folder on your system, nor even a good old DIR /A/S/B

The actual disk space taken up by the Windows folder is much less than it says.

- eg: I believe that the WinSxS folder takes much less space than it claims to.

You can also fit Windows 7 Pro x64 on a 24GB partition and have over 7.25 GB of free space with heaps of other stuff installed

For my own installation: Total Files Listed: 77886 File(s) at 20,064,892,630 bytes within 50638 Dir(s)
Within the partition itself I am using only 18,008,047,616 bytes inclusive of everything else installed to that partition/drive.

- The 'used' space on my partition is 1.91GB below the size of my Windows folder alone.

- Many of the files within the Windows Vista/7 folder don't physically exist in the file-system, at least not the way that they are presented to the user (even as Admin, which the above states are).

PS: The pagefile and hibernation file are both stored in the root of the drive, they are not (typically) within the C:\WINDOWS\. folder.
Therefore they will not affect the total size of the Windows folder.
m
l
!