Keeping my mind busy: Computer Speak

Last response: in Video Games
July 15, 2005 10:41:54 AM

I'm looking at Sony desktop towers online, and I
wonder who in here has had experience with Sony pc's.
I've looked at them in the stores, and I like the clean lines
of the cases, but don't know anyone who owns one.

I'm looking at customizing a basic VGC-RB49C,
but am faced with a lot of choices when it comes to
processors.
Is there any appreciable difference between the Intel
Celery D 335J (2.80GHz) and 345J (3.06GHz)?

I'd go over 3.06GHz, but am trying to stay in a
reasonable price range.

--
>^,,^< Miracle, heartbroken

July 15, 2005 10:41:55 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I'm looking at Sony desktop towers online, and I
> wonder who in here has had experience with Sony pc's.
> I've looked at them in the stores, and I like the clean lines
> of the cases, but don't know anyone who owns one.
>
> I'm looking at customizing a basic VGC-RB49C,
> but am faced with a lot of choices when it comes to
> processors.
> Is there any appreciable difference between the Intel
> Celery D 335J (2.80GHz) and 345J (3.06GHz)?
>
> I'd go over 3.06GHz, but am trying to stay in a
> reasonable price range.

Since there is no price change go with the 3.06. Get a gig of ram, and get
the ATI graphics.

Quixote
July 16, 2005 12:19:23 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42d75ab2$1_3
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> I'm looking at Sony desktop towers online, and I
> wonder who in here has had experience with Sony pc's.
> I've looked at them in the stores, and I like the clean lines
> of the cases, but don't know anyone who owns one.
>
> I'm looking at customizing a basic VGC-RB49C,
> but am faced with a lot of choices when it comes to
> processors.
> Is there any appreciable difference between the Intel
> Celery D 335J (2.80GHz) and 345J (3.06GHz)?
>
> I'd go over 3.06GHz, but am trying to stay in a
> reasonable price range.

Run away for that, do not even think about buying from Sony, no way, no
how.
July 16, 2005 12:23:22 AM

Smeghead's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> I don't think of you as a newbie in general, so it was easy to throw
> "just build your own!" out there.

I dont think that at all. Miracle's a smart cookie
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:10:24 AM

> Since there is no price change go with the 3.06. Get a gig of ram,
> and get the ATI graphics.
>
> Quixote

Yep, figured that part out, but why a gig over 512?
Is the difference that much more noticeable? I have 512
in my current tower, and it seems adequate.
Just curious.....

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

July 16, 2005 10:26:49 AM

Spanner wrote:
> Run away for that, do not even think about buying from Sony, no way,
> no how.

Okay, no problem- the prices seem a bit stiff anyway.

July 16, 2005 10:28:47 AM

Quixote wrote:
> This was also my first reaction, but keep in mind building a computer
> from scratch can be a daunting task for those not so inclined, and
> then you become your own tech support without warranty on work or
> parts. This does not bother any of us, but asking Miracle to take
> this on might be asking a bit much. Sure most builds go without a
> hitch, but we all know they can also turn into an elusive monster on
> a whim. I would encourage her to learn to do as much, but not just
> expect her to do so unless she wants to take the chance. Hence, I
> answered her question directly to the issue.

Ah, but don't forget I have GNA* next door, and he's built several
from scratch, and they work.

* = Good Neighbor Allen

July 16, 2005 2:02:43 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42d75ab2$1_3
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> I'm looking at Sony desktop towers online, and I
> wonder who in here has had experience with Sony pc's.

Halfway through that sentence, I was visualizing an ugly office skyscraper
in Yuma. And then I was trying to figure out what it had to do with PC's.
Not enough coffee yet this morning....
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 2:04:55 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42d8a4d0_6
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> why a gig over 512?

Because modern games are pigs. In fact, Battlefield 2 runs sluggish with 1
GB, and people are reporting improvements with 2, because it loads up main
memory with just about 1 GB of textures to swap into the video card, and
puts the system right on the edge of instability. It doesn't crash, but you
can tell it's not happy. Expect future games to only get worse.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 12:46:49 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42d75ab2$1_3
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> I'm looking at Sony desktop towers online, and I
>> wonder who in here has had experience with Sony pc's.
>
> Halfway through that sentence, I was visualizing an ugly office
> skyscraper in Yuma. And then I was trying to figure out what it had
> to do with PC's. Not enough coffee yet this morning....

ROFL "Coffee Low-Light!"

July 17, 2005 12:59:39 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42d8a4d0_6
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> why a gig over 512?
>
> Because modern games are pigs. In fact, Battlefield 2 runs sluggish
> with 1 GB, and people are reporting improvements with 2, because it
> loads up main memory with just about 1 GB of textures to swap into
> the video card, and puts the system right on the edge of instability.
> It doesn't crash, but you can tell it's not happy. Expect future
> games to only get worse.

Great googlymoogly!
That's just bullshit, what with new games looking boring
as hell to me. The Tribes series is *beautiful*, so why all the
increase in textures?

This boggles my mind. I haven't seen a single video/computer
game box that enticed me to buy it based on screen shots. The
Eve game looks promising, though, and it's freaking *freeware*!!!

I need ice cream...........

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

July 17, 2005 2:11:06 PM

On 17 Jul 2005 08:59:39 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Great googlymoogly!
> That's just bullshit, what with new games looking boring
> as hell to me.

That's because they are. Manufacturers seem to have forgotten something
called "gameplay". Once that's missing, you might as well be running a
benchmarker.

> The Tribes series is *beautiful*, so why all the increase in textures?

Because game manufacturers can. They see what the current cards can do and
push those limits. The new cards get released and don't break into a
sweat. The game manufacturers see this and get to work on pushing those
limits. Repeat until things get silly.

> This boggles my mind. I haven't seen a single video/computer
> game box that enticed me to buy it based on screen shots. The
> Eve game looks promising, though, and it's freaking *freeware*!!!

The last game I bought based on its predecessor was... er... Tribes 2.

Never again.

> I need ice cream...........

I need two CPU's, an imagebank and a couple of 512MB Sandisk Ultra2 CF
cards.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

Mr K wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2005 08:59:39 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>> The Tribes series is *beautiful*, so why all the increase in
>> textures?
>
> Because game manufacturers can. They see what the current cards can
> do and push those limits. The new cards get released and don't break
> into a sweat. The game manufacturers see this and get to work on
> pushing those limits. Repeat until things get silly.

This is rediculous. Pretty soon there won't be a processor
capable of running the cards. (Did I get that right? I didn't mix
up processor with chipset, did I? Anything is possible lately...)

>> I need ice cream...........
>
> I need two CPU's, an imagebank and a couple of 512MB Sandisk Ultra2 CF
> cards.

I need a whole new tower. And no one in here has yet to
propose which mobo/chipset I should buy, unless that cryptic
remark from Fabrice was an indication......I got lost in Randy's
"Motherboaed" thread......

But mostly, I need a puppy.

July 17, 2005 3:30:56 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42da2d6c$1_2
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> This is rediculous. Pretty soon there won't be a processor
> capable of running the cards. (Did I get that right? I didn't mix
> up processor with chipset, did I? Anything is possible lately...)

Chipset is what glues the processor to everything else. In the really old
days a mobo had a zillion chips in addition to the CPU, including the
serial port and parallel port chips, chips to make the slots work, chips to
manage external cache, and on and on. But it's cheaper to put all that in a
couple of chips, if you have the volume to justify the initial engineering
cost (which is huge). Now you can get a couple of chips (usually called the
the north and south bridge for esoteric technical reasons) to do all the
work. My new mobo uses the nForce 4 chipset, which glues AMD64 to the
outside world. It includes a whole bunch of bleeding edge technical
goodies. But not everything. The mobo makers still add a few extras to
distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack. So there's an extra chip
on mine to do SATA RAID, for instance. And an extra NIC chip, giving me two
gigabit NIC's.

On a "simple" mobo, you have the CPU, the connectors, the chipset, and lots
and lots of capacitors. (Caps are like digital shock absorbers, keeping the
system quiet in spite of all the electronic racket each device makes.)

As to recommendations, you can go for reliability or features. For
reliability, Asus and Abit have good reputations. For features, they're all
pretty good, given the latest chipsets. Any nForce 4 board should be good.
I got a DFI "LAN Party UT" with the pretty flourescent connectors, because
two of my teammates just got that board and were happy with it. I haven't
had any trouble with mine. It's supposed to be good for overclocking but I
haven't tried that.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:32:06 PM

On 17 Jul 2005 10:05:32 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> This is rediculous.

Yup. It's the upgrade game.

> Pretty soon there won't be a processor capable of running the cards.

I'm sure the processor manufacturers will sort that out, along with the
mobo makers, etc.

.... and off we go again.

> (Did I get that right? I didn't mix up processor with chipset, did I?
> Anything is possible lately...)

Yup, you got it right.

> I need a whole new tower. And no one in here has yet to
> propose which mobo/chipset I should buy, unless that cryptic
> remark from Fabrice was an indication......I got lost in Randy's
> "Motherboaed" thread......

Mobo's, well Abit get my vote. Asus... they blew it a while ago, when they
started slapping those useless AMR/CNR slots on their rubbish. As for
chipsets, dunno on that. The last chipset that got my attention was the
old AMD762, but I don't know what happened to that.

.... back to processing photos.

> But mostly, I need a puppy.

:)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:36:24 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42da1dfb$1_5
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> That's just bullshit, what with new games looking boring
> as hell to me. The Tribes series is *beautiful*, so why all the
> increase in textures?

Tribes Shader Engine (TSE) is supposed to be much more texture hungry than
Tribes Game Engine (TGE) on which T2 was based. The quality and quantity of
textures is much higher. Recall that T2 used a small set of textures to
blanket the whole map. TSE should allow that same map to look a bit richer,
with more variety.

Battlefield 2 has that going, with lots and lots of variation in look
across a single map. It's not a cookie-cutter game where everything looks
like everything else.
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:40:23 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Mr K wrote:
>> On 17 Jul 2005 08:59:39 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>>> The Tribes series is *beautiful*, so why all the increase in
>>> textures?
>>
>> Because game manufacturers can. They see what the current cards can
>> do and push those limits. The new cards get released and don't break
>> into a sweat. The game manufacturers see this and get to work on
>> pushing those limits. Repeat until things get silly.
>

> This is rediculous. Pretty soon there won't be a processor
> capable of running the cards. (Did I get that right? I didn't mix
> up processor with chipset, did I? Anything is possible lately...)
>

>>> I need ice cream...........
>>
>> I need two CPU's, an imagebank and a couple of 512MB Sandisk Ultra2 CF
>> cards.
>

> I need a whole new tower. And no one in here has yet to
> propose which mobo/chipset I should buy, unless that cryptic
> remark from Fabrice was an indication......I got lost in Randy's
> "Motherboaed" thread......
>
> But mostly, I need a puppy.

Okay, what is your upper limit of cash outlay?

Quixote
July 17, 2005 8:44:27 PM

On 17 Jul 2005 10:05:32 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Mr K wrote:
>> On 17 Jul 2005 08:59:39 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>>> The Tribes series is *beautiful*, so why all the increase in
>>> textures?
>>
>> Because game manufacturers can. They see what the current cards can
>> do and push those limits. The new cards get released and don't break
>> into a sweat. The game manufacturers see this and get to work on
>> pushing those limits. Repeat until things get silly.
>

> This is rediculous. Pretty soon there won't be a processor
>capable of running the cards. (Did I get that right? I didn't mix
>up processor with chipset, did I? Anything is possible lately...)
>

>>> I need ice cream...........
>>
>> I need two CPU's, an imagebank and a couple of 512MB Sandisk Ultra2 CF
>> cards.
>

> I need a whole new tower. And no one in here has yet to
>propose which mobo/chipset I should buy, unless that cryptic
>remark from Fabrice was an indication......I got lost in Randy's
>"Motherboaed" thread......
>
> But mostly, I need a puppy.

I know what you mean! Sometimes a puppy is so tasty, especially if
marinated before roasting.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2005 10:05:32 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>> But mostly, I need a puppy.
>
> I know what you mean! Sometimes a puppy is so tasty, especially if
> marinated before roasting.

Gosh, I *am* a tough old broad- that didn't even get a rise
outta me.........I'll tell ya why in a sec!

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

July 18, 2005 11:33:27 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Smeghead wrote:
>> I know what you mean! Sometimes a puppy is so tasty, especially if
>> marinated before roasting.
>
> Gosh, I *am* a tough old broad- that didn't even get a rise
> outta me.........I'll tell ya why in a sec!

I got a wee baby girl *ferret* today!! Oh, she's so damn
sweet it's almost unbearable! LOL

Remember the finches AnnieMae pawned off on us? Well,
we decided that 8 of the little darlings was a bit much, so we
decided to keep Mom & Pop, but give away the rest.
A call to PetSmart yielded nada, as they only get animals
from registered breeders (yay! Good policy!).
So this afternoon, Ross gave the other, locally owned, pet
store a call, and they said Yes!

So as soon as the order desk closed, we took off for the pet
store with 6 adolescent finches in tow. And truth be told, I was
hoping that they would have one adorable puppy that I'd fall in
love with and could take home. :o }

(By the way, this is the store where I met "Alex", the bird I
wanted so badly a week or two ago. She was gone. <sigh>)

Finches delivered, I scooted to the cat and dog pens to see
what was there. Not much, and no females. I really want another
female dog, so I passed on the German Shepard, and the 2 Blue
Heelers.

As usual, on our way out, we scoped out the other animals-
the mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets- hold it! One large glass
aquarium with a bunch of albino ferret babies, another one with
just one grey & black ferret. I must investigate!

The lone ferret was the only girl- all the albinos were males.
Asked the clerk to let me see her- that was it! Love at first sight.

Her name is Weezer, because I woke up Saturday with that
name in my head. As soon as I can, I'll slap up some digital pics
of her. :)

She's *so* tiny! My other ferrets were both adult males when
I got them, so I've never had one to raise. It's gonna be a busy
few days, getting her settled in with the cats, and a vet check-up,
and making toys for her.......

:D

July 18, 2005 2:04:43 PM

On 18 Jul 2005 07:33:27 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Miracle Smith wrote:
>> Smeghead wrote:
>>> I know what you mean! Sometimes a puppy is so tasty, especially if
>>> marinated before roasting.
>>
>> Gosh, I *am* a tough old broad- that didn't even get a rise
>> outta me.........I'll tell ya why in a sec!
>

> I got a wee baby girl *ferret* today!! Oh, she's so damn
>sweet it's almost unbearable! LOL
>
> Remember the finches AnnieMae pawned off on us? Well,
>we decided that 8 of the little darlings was a bit much, so we
>decided to keep Mom & Pop, but give away the rest.
> A call to PetSmart yielded nada, as they only get animals
>from registered breeders (yay! Good policy!).
> So this afternoon, Ross gave the other, locally owned, pet
>store a call, and they said Yes!
>
> So as soon as the order desk closed, we took off for the pet
>store with 6 adolescent finches in tow. And truth be told, I was
>hoping that they would have one adorable puppy that I'd fall in
>love with and could take home. :o }
>
> (By the way, this is the store where I met "Alex", the bird I
>wanted so badly a week or two ago. She was gone. <sigh>)
>
> Finches delivered, I scooted to the cat and dog pens to see
>what was there. Not much, and no females. I really want another
>female dog, so I passed on the German Shepard, and the 2 Blue
>Heelers.
>
> As usual, on our way out, we scoped out the other animals-
>the mice, hamsters, guinea pigs, ferrets- hold it! One large glass
>aquarium with a bunch of albino ferret babies, another one with
>just one grey & black ferret. I must investigate!
>
> The lone ferret was the only girl- all the albinos were males.
>Asked the clerk to let me see her- that was it! Love at first sight.
>
> Her name is Weezer, because I woke up Saturday with that
>name in my head. As soon as I can, I'll slap up some digital pics
>of her. :)
>
> She's *so* tiny! My other ferrets were both adult males when
>I got them, so I've never had one to raise. It's gonna be a busy
>few days, getting her settled in with the cats, and a vet check-up,
>and making toys for her.......
>
> :D

Congrats!

Ferrets are cool pets.

They can also be destructive and stinky if not kept up with, but you
don't strike me as a neglectful pet owner, so that's a non-issue.

And that is a cool name! My brother's ferret would get so excited and
wound up that it would run into walls playing with a tennis ball. It
also liked beer.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> Congrats!
>
> Ferrets are cool pets.
>
> They can also be destructive and stinky if not kept up with, but you
> don't strike me as a neglectful pet owner, so that's a non-issue.
>
> And that is a cool name! My brother's ferret would get so excited and
> wound up that it would run into walls playing with a tennis ball. It
> also liked beer.

LOL There's almost nothing funnier than that silly sideways
"run & dance" that ferrets do. We gave Weezer some old small
soft cat toy balls tonight, and she went Taz on them, worrying
them back & forth like a dog. What a hoot!

--
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

July 19, 2005 10:55:27 AM

On 19 Jul 2005 06:55:26 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> Congrats!
>>
>> Ferrets are cool pets.
>>
>> They can also be destructive and stinky if not kept up with, but you
>> don't strike me as a neglectful pet owner, so that's a non-issue.
>>
>> And that is a cool name! My brother's ferret would get so excited and
>> wound up that it would run into walls playing with a tennis ball. It
>> also liked beer.
>

> LOL There's almost nothing funnier than that silly sideways
>"run & dance" that ferrets do. We gave Weezer some old small
>soft cat toy balls tonight, and she went Taz on them, worrying
>them back & forth like a dog. What a hoot!

They're hilarious at times, some of the stuff they'll do.

My brother's ferret would drink a saucer of beer, then get tipsy and
run about in the sideways scurry you're talking about and trip herself
up and fall over.

It's like seeing a Greek Omega symbol covered in fur coming at you.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> You could build a very nice system for =<$900, that is if you're
> frankensteining bits from the previous one to save some cash here and
> there. Like the case, keyboard, etc.
>
> Then it comes down to CPU, Memory and Video basically.

Oh sure- like I've got a good video card, and modems,
ethernet card, etc. I'd want some new fans, of course! And
maybe go ahead and replace the power supply just to be safe.

I also need a new CD-ROM for the front bay. The DVD is
fine, but the CD drive gets picky and won't always work. So
far my workaround for that is to plop the CD into the DVD
drive, but it would be nice to have both.

I've got a plethora of keyboards and mice, of course, and
my LCD monitor is still great.

--
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

July 19, 2005 11:02:29 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> That and the medals on an SS Officer's jacket can be clear and
> distinct close up, and not merely smears of color, for instance.
>
> And you can have layers of textures too, like Unreal did away back
> when. Detail texturing is cool because instead of the texture of a
> wall getting blocky and pixelated the closer you get to it, a new,
> high-resolution, "bricky" or "stony" texture is overlayed gradually.

Oooooooh, that sounds nice. Okay, maybe a new video card........

July 19, 2005 11:38:36 AM

> Smeghead wrote:
> > You could build a very nice system for =<$900, that is if you're
> > frankensteining bits from the previous one to save some cash here and
> > there. Like the case, keyboard, etc.
> >
> > Then it comes down to CPU, Memory and Video basically.
>

> Oh sure- like I've got a good video card, and modems,
> ethernet card, etc. I'd want some new fans, of course! And
> maybe go ahead and replace the power supply just to be safe.
>
> I also need a new CD-ROM for the front bay. The DVD is
> fine, but the CD drive gets picky and won't always work. So
> far my workaround for that is to plop the CD into the DVD
> drive, but it would be nice to have both.
>
> I've got a plethora of keyboards and mice, of course, and
> my LCD monitor is still great.
>
> --
> ·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
> ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
> Miracle
> ((¸¸.·´ ..·´
> -:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

I could frop you an ethernet card, a couple of fans, possibly one or two
other things as well randomly....
July 19, 2005 2:52:46 PM

> Smeghead wrote:
>> That and the medals on an SS Officer's jacket can be clear and
>> distinct close up, and not merely smears of color, for instance.
>>
>> And you can have layers of textures too, like Unreal did away back
>> when. Detail texturing is cool because instead of the texture of a
>> wall getting blocky and pixelated the closer you get to it, a new,
>> high-resolution, "bricky" or "stony" texture is overlayed gradually.
>

> Oooooooh, that sounds nice. Okay, maybe a new video card........

> <><><><><><><><>

You will need a new video card because the MB on that wish list is a pci-
e one.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:44:52 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42db4751$1_6
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Anyway, does a mobo come with a chipset? Or in addition to the
> CPU, does one buy a chipset separately?

Well, like all things, "it depends". ;)

Traditionally, a "motherboard" is the board and all its components that
all other boards stick into, kind of like the mothership in Close
Encounters holds all the little ships.

But the motherboard is also just the bare fiberglass board and the copper
traces on it. After all, that's *just* the board, with no components.

When you buy a boxed motherboard, you usually get the fiberglass board
and everything except the CPU. Mine includes the chipset and the extra
chips, the connectors, the caps, the sockets for the CPU and memory, and
the mounting bracket for the CPU's heat sink and fan. But not the memory
nor the CPU and fan. Those are extras. And for good reason: You can
choose a lot of different options in CPU and memory that all work in the
same mobo. Different speeds and cores of CPU, and different speeds of
memory. (A CPU "core" is the way the manufacturer builds it, which means
different amounts of cache and different thermal properties due to
feature size.)

> Okay, so nVidia makes boards? And that's a 'brand' same as
> Asus and Abit?

I believe they make graphics boards under their own name, but I don't
recall if they make their own mobo. They make a chipset (called nForce)
that many others use on their mobos, just as they make a graphics chipset
that many others use on graphics boards.

Most chip makers create working designs of boards and then provide the
designs free to board makers who buy the chips from them. (In fact, a lot
of chip "makers" have no fab of their own. They have others' fabs make
the chips for them. They're called "fabless chipmakers". Really.)

For mobos, you're really buying the chipset. The mobo is really just a
bundle of connectors and wires plus a chipset, so you can drop in the CPU
of your choice, some memory, and wrap a case around it. The chipsets are
normally soldered to the mobo. (That's not a soldering job the average
home hobbyist can do, as it uses ball grid array (BGA) parts which
require some fancy equipment to solder.)

> So does the chipset sit between the CPU and the mobo?
> (I suppose the heatsink is the part we see?)

The other way around. The fiberglass board with its copper traces (the
"unstuffed" motherboard, sans components) connects everything together.
The chipset is a couple of large chips somewhere on the board. One of
mine has its own fan. Lots of traces go from the CPU socket to the two
chipset sockets, and more go from the two chips to the many connectors
leading to memory and the slots.

>> The mobo makers still add a few extras to distinguish themselves from
>> the rest of the pack. So there's an extra chip on mine to do SATA
>> RAID, for instance. And an extra NIC chip, giving me two gigabit
>> NIC's.
>
> Where are those physically located?

Whereever they fit, and where you can conveniently place their connectors
to what they control. Often they're around the edge, so they don't get in
the way of the dense mass of traces connecting the CPU, chipset, slots,
and memory.

BTW, the raw board is typically 6-10 layers. Looked at edge-on, it's like
a sandwich, with traces not only on the outer surfaces but also in inner
layers. It's built up from lots of thinner sheets, each printed with
circuitry on both sides. Each copper layer is considered a "layer" in the
jargon, so a simple ancient board with only piece of fiberglass is two
copper layers on the outside. If you had 3 sheets of fiberglass, you'd
have 4 layers of copper. The hard part is getting all those sheets to
line up when you glue them together.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:47:50 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42dca52f$1_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Oh sure- like I've got a good video card, and modems,
> ethernet card, etc. I'd want some new fans, of course! And
> maybe go ahead and replace the power supply just to be safe.

No need for a separate Ethernet card. All new mobos come with that built
in. Mine came with *two* gigabit NIC's. The second NIC is useful for
servers and routers, mostly.

> I also need a new CD-ROM for the front bay. The DVD is
> fine, but the CD drive gets picky and won't always work. So
> far my workaround for that is to plop the CD into the DVD
> drive, but it would be nice to have both.

Any modern DVD drive will do CD's just fine. No need for two drives except
when you want to do copying and don't have the hard drive space for a
temporary copy.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:56:22 AM

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> It's like seeing a Greek Omega symbol covered in fur coming at you.

Inspired for a pet name, I'd give it a Charlton Heston name, either Taylor
from Planet of the Apes, or Neville from Omega Man. (Wow, just checked IMDB
and see that he also had an uncredited part in the 2001 remake of PotA, as
"Zaius (Thade's Father)".)

Ferrets are illegal in California (stupid legislature) but I've a friend
who had some and can easily see the attraction. She lost one and it turned
up in a closed kitchen drawer. It had gone in a lower open drawer, out the
back, and then up the back of the inside of the cabinet to get to an upper
drawer.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 5:03:32 AM

ScratchMonkey's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> She lost one and it turned up in a closed kitchen drawer. It had
> gone in a lower open drawer, out the back, and then up the back
> of the inside of the cabinet to get to an upper drawer.

Hopefully still alive
July 20, 2005 10:16:28 AM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:56:22 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> It's like seeing a Greek Omega symbol covered in fur coming at you.
>
>Inspired for a pet name, I'd give it a Charlton Heston name, either Taylor
>from Planet of the Apes, or Neville from Omega Man. (Wow, just checked IMDB
>and see that he also had an uncredited part in the 2001 remake of PotA, as
>"Zaius (Thade's Father)".)

I just watched "the Buccaneer" about a week ago, and he played Andrew
Jackson in it. Which is funny, because Yul Brynner was the pirate Jean
Lafitte. Talk about shades of Ten Commandments!

Towards the end, when Lafitte is in the hands of a mob because he
accepts the blame for a ship being attacked by some of his men, Andrew
Jackson strides in, fires a round in the air and announces, "By the
Lord God! I'll kill the next man who moves."

It just struck me as kind of Moses-esque, so I MST3K'd the line "By
the Lord thy God, I'll part this crowd like the Red Sea!"

>Ferrets are illegal in California (stupid legislature) but I've a friend
>who had some and can easily see the attraction.

There's also the attraction of stuffing a ferret in your pants and
running about shouting, "Weezles! I've got weezles in my pants!"

Or, maybe that's just me.

>She lost one and it turned
>up in a closed kitchen drawer. It had gone in a lower open drawer, out the
>back, and then up the back of the inside of the cabinet to get to an upper
>drawer.

There is no "off limits" to a ferret unless you have it caged. When
I'd go over to my brother's apartment, I'd ask where she was if not in
plane sight. If she wasn't in one of two favorite napping places, all
bets were off as to her location.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42db4751$1_6
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Anyway, does a mobo come with a chipset? Or in addition to the
>> CPU, does one buy a chipset separately?
>
> Well, like all things, "it depends". ;)
>
> Traditionally, a "motherboard" is the board and all its components
> that all other boards stick into, kind of like the mothership in Close
> Encounters holds all the little ships.
>
> But the motherboard is also just the bare fiberglass board and the
> copper traces on it. After all, that's *just* the board, with no
> components.
>
> When you buy a boxed motherboard, you usually get the fiberglass board
> and everything except the CPU. Mine includes the chipset and the extra
> chips, the connectors, the caps, the sockets for the CPU and memory,
> and the mounting bracket for the CPU's heat sink and fan. But not the
> memory nor the CPU and fan. Those are extras. And for good reason:
> You can choose a lot of different options in CPU and memory that all
> work in the same mobo. Different speeds and cores of CPU, and
> different speeds of memory. (A CPU "core" is the way the manufacturer
> builds it, which means different amounts of cache and different
> thermal properties due to feature size.)

I understand so far.....

>> Okay, so nVidia makes boards? And that's a 'brand' same as
>> Asus and Abit?
>
> I believe they make graphics boards under their own name, but I don't
> recall if they make their own mobo. They make a chipset (called
> nForce) that many others use on their mobos, just as they make a
> graphics chipset that many others use on graphics boards.
>
> Most chip makers create working designs of boards and then provide the
> designs free to board makers who buy the chips from them. (In fact, a
> lot of chip "makers" have no fab of their own. They have others' fabs
> make the chips for them. They're called "fabless chipmakers". Really.)

This makes sense- the mobo Quixote has in my wish list
features an nVidia chipset!

> For mobos, you're really buying the chipset. The mobo is really just a
> bundle of connectors and wires plus a chipset, so you can drop in the
> CPU of your choice, some memory, and wrap a case around it. The
> chipsets are normally soldered to the mobo. (That's not a soldering
> job the average home hobbyist can do, as it uses ball grid array
> (BGA) parts which require some fancy equipment to solder.)

Yes, the soldering is very delicate and tiny! I've looked at a lot
of circuitry boards, and they always amaze me.
I mean, one of my soldering tips for glass is 1/2" wide. BIG
difference! LOL

>> So does the chipset sit between the CPU and the mobo?
>> (I suppose the heatsink is the part we see?)
>
> The other way around. The fiberglass board with its copper traces (the
> "unstuffed" motherboard, sans components) connects everything
> together. The chipset is a couple of large chips somewhere on the
> board. One of mine has its own fan. Lots of traces go from the CPU
> socket to the two chipset sockets, and more go from the two chips to
> the many connectors leading to memory and the slots.

Okay, I got up and went and looked inside my tower. I honest to
gosh think I know where my chipset is! If I'm right, it has its own fan,
too- looks like the wee ones on video cards.
I also see what looks to be the CPU- it has a square heatsink on
top of it.

<wee snippage>

> BTW, the raw board is typically 6-10 layers. Looked at edge-on, it's
> like a sandwich, with traces not only on the outer surfaces but also
> in inner layers. It's built up from lots of thinner sheets, each
> printed with circuitry on both sides. Each copper layer is considered
> a "layer" in the jargon, so a simple ancient board with only piece of
> fiberglass is two copper layers on the outside. If you had 3 sheets
> of fiberglass, you'd have 4 layers of copper. The hard part is
> getting all those sheets to line up when you glue them together.

As I've admitted before, I take everything apart. Ditto circuit
boards. :D  They are *so* cool to destroy. I've saved a bunch
of capacitors and resistors in the hope that one day I'll create some
really zoomy jewelry out of them.
I take apart watches, radios, telephones, coffee makers, all types
of stereo equipment, and even microwave ovens. Those tempered
glass doors are great to have on hand. :)

I used to dumpster-dive, but since I met & married Ross, he
won't let me do it. It would embarrass the hell outta him, but man,
I've missed some neat junk in the last 12 years!! LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

July 20, 2005 11:31:20 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Any modern DVD drive will do CD's just fine. No need for two drives
> except when you want to do copying and don't have the hard drive
> space for a temporary copy.

Well, I guess I *could* go without the cupholder......... ROFL

July 20, 2005 12:04:40 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> It's like seeing a Greek Omega symbol covered in fur coming at you.
>
> Inspired for a pet name, I'd give it a Charlton Heston name, either
> Taylor from Planet of the Apes, or Neville from Omega Man. (Wow, just
> checked IMDB and see that he also had an uncredited part in the 2001
> remake of PotA, as "Zaius (Thade's Father)".)
>
> Ferrets are illegal in California (stupid legislature) but I've a
> friend who had some and can easily see the attraction. She lost one
> and it turned up in a closed kitchen drawer. It had gone in a lower
> open drawer, out the back, and then up the back of the inside of the
> cabinet to get to an upper drawer.

A lot of San Diego residents come here to buy ferrets. :)

I had Bootzee do that drawer thing when we first got this
new house. (She's the oldest cat.) We kept finding her in the
silverware drawer!

Oh, I'm in for it- ferrets can go *everywhere*, and they DO.

I made her a hammock today, and she's checked it out, but
doesn't appear to like sleeping in it yet. She's still such a baby that
she mostly eats, shits, and sleeps most of the time. As she gets
older, she'll get more and more time out of her pen.
Right now, what with Ebeth weighing in at over 20 pounds,
we only let her loose in the living room when we are there with
her. Ebeth is built like some no-neck linebacker, and tries to
stalk her.

But I'd put a full-grown ferret up against any cat- no way
will a cat win in a fight with a ferret. Ferrets are faster, and
have sharper teeth. :D

July 20, 2005 12:04:41 PM

On 20 Jul 2005 08:04:40 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>ScratchMonkey wrote:
>> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> It's like seeing a Greek Omega symbol covered in fur coming at you.
>>
>> Inspired for a pet name, I'd give it a Charlton Heston name, either
>> Taylor from Planet of the Apes, or Neville from Omega Man. (Wow, just
>> checked IMDB and see that he also had an uncredited part in the 2001
>> remake of PotA, as "Zaius (Thade's Father)".)
>>
>> Ferrets are illegal in California (stupid legislature) but I've a
>> friend who had some and can easily see the attraction. She lost one
>> and it turned up in a closed kitchen drawer. It had gone in a lower
>> open drawer, out the back, and then up the back of the inside of the
>> cabinet to get to an upper drawer.
>

> A lot of San Diego residents come here to buy ferrets. :)
>
> I had Bootzee do that drawer thing when we first got this
>new house. (She's the oldest cat.) We kept finding her in the
>silverware drawer!
>
> Oh, I'm in for it- ferrets can go *everywhere*, and they DO.
>
> I made her a hammock today, and she's checked it out, but
>doesn't appear to like sleeping in it yet. She's still such a baby that
>she mostly eats, shits, and sleeps most of the time. As she gets
>older, she'll get more and more time out of her pen.
> Right now, what with Ebeth weighing in at over 20 pounds,
>we only let her loose in the living room when we are there with
>her. Ebeth is built like some no-neck linebacker, and tries to
>stalk her.
>
> But I'd put a full-grown ferret up against any cat- no way
>will a cat win in a fight with a ferret. Ferrets are faster, and
>have sharper teeth. :D

Kinda like a cobra vs. a mongoose?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> Nothing required. :^) Just glad to help.
>
> Quixote

Well, like I tell Ross, "need" and "want" are two
*entirely* different things. :o P

July 21, 2005 9:09:58 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2005 08:04:40 GMT, "Miracle Smith" wrote:
>> But I'd put a full-grown ferret up against any cat- no way
>> will a cat win in a fight with a ferret. Ferrets are faster, and
>> have sharper teeth. :D
>
> Kinda like a cobra vs. a mongoose?

Ed Zachary!!

July 21, 2005 5:26:06 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42ddfd6e_5
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Yes, the soldering is very delicate and tiny! I've looked at a lot
> of circuitry boards, and they always amaze me.
> I mean, one of my soldering tips for glass is 1/2" wide. BIG
> difference! LOL

Ah, but have you looked at how BGA's are attached? The number of
connections has gotten so huge that putting the pins around the perimeter
of the package is now impractical. Instead, lots of little balls of solder
are attached to the bottom of the package in a grid, and the board has what
looks like a chess board of copper lands. The chip is laid on the lands,
and then an IR oven or a vapor phase soldering tank is used to heat the
balls and board so they bond together.

I once had a mobo fail because one of the balls on my chipset cracked. It
was highly intermittent and hard to diagnose because minor flexing of the
board would make the ball contact and start working. I'd take out and put
back memory and that stress would make it fail or start working, leading me
to think it was bad memory, but it was highly inconsistent. My hardware
buddy diagnosed the real problem, and while we waited for a warranty
replacement I put a pad of post-it's under the memory DIMM to put pressure
on the chip and hold the ball together.
July 21, 2005 8:42:30 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:26:06 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42ddfd6e_5
>@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>

>> Yes, the soldering is very delicate and tiny! I've looked at a lot
>> of circuitry boards, and they always amaze me.
>> I mean, one of my soldering tips for glass is 1/2" wide. BIG
>> difference! LOL
>
>Ah, but have you looked at how BGA's are attached? The number of
>connections has gotten so huge that putting the pins around the perimeter
>of the package is now impractical. Instead, lots of little balls of solder
>are attached to the bottom of the package in a grid, and the board has what
>looks like a chess board of copper lands. The chip is laid on the lands,
>and then an IR oven or a vapor phase soldering tank is used to heat the
>balls and board so they bond together.
>
>I once had a mobo fail because one of the balls on my chipset cracked. It
>was highly intermittent and hard to diagnose because minor flexing of the
>board would make the ball contact and start working. I'd take out and put
>back memory and that stress would make it fail or start working, leading me
>to think it was bad memory, but it was highly inconsistent. My hardware
>buddy diagnosed the real problem, and while we waited for a warranty
>replacement I put a pad of post-it's under the memory DIMM to put pressure
>on the chip and hold the ball together.

At the MSRC we have a nice little fiber optic microscope to go over
leads and traces and joints to look for cracks and anomalies too small
for the naked eye to see.

Goofy intermittent failures like you describe are what I hate most.
The nightmares a power supply can cause are without bounds. So testing
with a known-good power supply is one of the first things I try to get
out of the way if a problem starts to hide itself in that hazy grey
area.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> At the MSRC we have a nice little fiber optic microscope to go over
> leads and traces and joints to look for cracks and anomalies too small
> for the naked eye to see.

Alas, BGA joints are under the chip, and board makers are going to
"underfilling" the chip to reduce stresses from different coefficients of
thermal expansion between the package and the board, which will crack the
balls. So the only inspection method left is X-ray. Another expensive piece
of equipment to stock....
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:31:37 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Ah, but have you looked at how BGA's are attached? The number of
> connections has gotten so huge that putting the pins around the
> perimeter of the package is now impractical. Instead, lots of little
> balls of solder are attached to the bottom of the package in a grid,
> and the board has what looks like a chess board of copper lands. The
> chip is laid on the lands, and then an IR oven or a vapor phase
> soldering tank is used to heat the balls and board so they bond
> together.
>
> I once had a mobo fail because one of the balls on my chipset
> cracked. It was highly intermittent and hard to diagnose because
> minor flexing of the board would make the ball contact and start
> working. I'd take out and put back memory and that stress would make
> it fail or start working, leading me to think it was bad memory, but
> it was highly inconsistent. My hardware buddy diagnosed the real
> problem, and while we waited for a warranty replacement I put a pad
> of post-it's under the memory DIMM to put pressure on the chip and
> hold the ball together.

Damn, that's too delicate for me! If I can't get a needle tip
after it, I ain't gonna try heating it!
But that solves the mystery of how they solder on the board
without melting it. We "hobbyists" need more finesse to accomplish
the task. ;)

I keep a couple/three cheapie (< $10) irons around the house
to do all srts of bizarre things. I used one tonight to melt holes in
the bottoms of some 2-litre pop bottles, as I need them to make
bird feeders out of. (Wal Mart sells neat "caps" that you screw on
so you hang the bottle upside down, and the cap is the dispenser.)

July 22, 2005 2:10:25 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e0a247$1_2
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> I see my battery is going dead, though, because the clock
> is losing time. I checked Ross', but his clock is correct.

With always-on Internet, I don't worry about the on-board clock anymore, as
I just pull atomic time from the closest network time protocol (NTP)
server. XP has the NTP client built in, but you have to enable it. I think
it's on the clock config tab. It defaults to querying Microsoft's time
server, but you can often find a closer one run by your ISP, if you want
more accurate time. (But we're talking small fractions of a second
difference, so it's not a big deal.)
July 22, 2005 2:16:32 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:10:40 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> At the MSRC we have a nice little fiber optic microscope to go over
>> leads and traces and joints to look for cracks and anomalies too small
>> for the naked eye to see.
>
>Alas, BGA joints are under the chip, and board makers are going to
>"underfilling" the chip to reduce stresses from different coefficients of
>thermal expansion between the package and the board, which will crack the
>balls. So the only inspection method left is X-ray. Another expensive piece
>of equipment to stock....

I'm not going to radiology school! I draw the line.

Scott Henry, PhD, CMD (Post Hole Digger, Cyber Medical Doctor)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e0a247$1_2
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> I see my battery is going dead, though, because the clock
>> is losing time. I checked Ross', but his clock is correct.
>
> With always-on Internet, I don't worry about the on-board clock
> anymore, as I just pull atomic time from the closest network time
> protocol (NTP) server. XP has the NTP client built in, but you have
> to enable it. I think it's on the clock config tab. It defaults to
> querying Microsoft's time server, but you can often find a closer one
> run by your ISP, if you want more accurate time. (But we're talking
> small fractions of a second difference, so it's not a big deal.)

But doesn't that battery cause other trouble if it dies? Seems to
me that GNA told me to keep a sharp eye on the clock, and replace
the batt as soon as it got weak. He was fairly intense about it, but
then again, he's a tad *~werid~*. LOL

July 23, 2005 11:51:23 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> The CMOS battery is a piece of cake to replace. Unless the OEM has
> soldered the cr 2032 lithium battery to the board, which I have seen
> in e-machines.

Thank bob the two towers of mine are easy to navigate in-
the battery is in plain, unobstructed view, and easy as pie to
replace. Sits right on the mobo, looking oddly round, instead
of square. LOL

> Sometimes CD-ROMS lose tracking and can be recalibrated. You can find
> the step-by-step on the internet by doing a google for it. Easy stuff.
> And if you can take apart a toaster and put it back together, then you
> should be able to figure out how to disassemble and reassemble a
> CD-ROM drive. If it's broke and stays broke after opening, no biggie.
> You get to see the mechanisms and guts of a optical ROM drive.
>
> And if it works, hey! Great! You've fixed it and saved yourself tens
> of ones of dollars in the process! :)
>
> I've been able to give lots of friends and family replacement or extra
> optical ROM drives from the Dead Drive Bin at work.
>
> But sometimes broke is broke. And dead is dead.

You know, if I'm not *completely* senile, I've got a CD-ROM
drive under a desk in there somewhere. Along with a diskette drive,
"just in case". Bought them for dirt cheap and never used them......

Simple matter, as you say. :)  I think I'll enjoy taking apart a
drive like that. :D  As a matter of fact, I'm sure I'll enjoy it immensely!!

REVENGE!!
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

"Gonads & Strife"

July 23, 2005 1:36:45 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e1f599_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> But doesn't that battery cause other trouble if it dies? Seems to
> me that GNA told me to keep a sharp eye on the clock, and replace
> the batt as soon as it got weak. He was fairly intense about it, but
> then again, he's a tad *~werid~*. LOL

It may also hold the values in the BIOS settings, which are important.
Unless those are held in Flash, which needs no battery. I'd guess the
latter, since the battery is an undesirable component, electrically, and
the only thing that needs to stay powered with the system unplugged is the
clock. (Designing a board to hold a battery that doesn't short out when you
put it on a metal shelf or in an anti-static bag isn't trivial. And those
batteries can be bombs when rapidly discharged.)
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:43:03 PM

> Simple matter, as you say. :)  I think I'll enjoy taking apart
> drive like that. :D  As a matter of fact, I'm sure I'll enjoy it
> immensely!!
>
> REVENGE!!
> WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>
> "Gonads & Strife"

LOL

One of my servers needed an air hose taken to it every few months as it was
in a really filthy environment, and the last time I cleaned it I had to
tear the CD drive open to get it to work again after the crud. I didn't
really mess with the mechanical parts except to unfold the circuit board
away from the tray to get to the lens and tray gears to clean it.

We're next to a freeway and a refinery, with lots of construction and oily
air, so machines build up a lot of dust and a little oil film. Plus we have
a machine shop, so those machines get grisly, too. Even when the shop is
kept very clean. One old PS/2 Model 80 actually sloshed when we opened it
up, as it had acquired a significant amount of machine coolant oil. The
thing had stopped working because a board had fallen out of the socket, due
to the cheesy way the board retainers worked in a PS/2.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:51:12 PM

Randy Graham <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in

> I learned from a friend long ago that the US military used to require
> all computing equipment used in non-office conditions had to be
> wire-wrapped, specifically because wire-wrapped connections failed far
> less frequently than soldered connections. I'm guessing that's no
> longer the case, what with the connections being to tiny. But this
> even preceeded the days of 150 ms memory, which should give you an
> idea of how long ago that was the policy.

Wire-wrap is pretty reliable, very gas-tight when done properly. When
shopping for connectors, "gas-tight" is the most important checkbox,
because oxygen is the enemy of all conductive metal, not just iron. Oxides
tend to be insulators, and metal loves to combine with oxygen. That's why
you gold-plate connectors, as gold is inert and doesn't combine with
anything. You also look for rubbing action to squeeze out the oxygen. But
that drives up the insertion force, which makes it impossible to mate the
connector when the pin count goes way up (as it does with those 1000-pin
processor sockets), leading to accidental pin bending. So then you have to
integrate a big lever into the works.

Soldering is a nasty technology, and in the last couple of years it's
turned into a nightmare because of the international lead hysteria that
demands that all lead be removed from our environment. Only the military is
exempt. The biggest problem I've seen with that (there are many) is "tin
whiskers". When you use solder with lots of tin and no lead, the tin tends
to extrude "whiskers", microscopic hairs that then break off and fall into
the circuitry and short it out. It's a big problem in data centers, where
it grows on everything. Another problem is cleaning after soldering, and
assemblers have moved to "no-clean" flux to eliminate various solvents from
the workplace in the name of occupational safety. (I miss the smell of the
old cleaner. ;) )
July 23, 2005 4:00:28 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:43:03 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
>
>> Simple matter, as you say. :)  I think I'll enjoy taking apart
>> drive like that. :D  As a matter of fact, I'm sure I'll enjoy it
>> immensely!!
>>
>> REVENGE!!
>> WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>> "Gonads & Strife"
>
>LOL
>
>One of my servers needed an air hose taken to it every few months as it was
>in a really filthy environment, and the last time I cleaned it I had to
>tear the CD drive open to get it to work again after the crud. I didn't
>really mess with the mechanical parts except to unfold the circuit board
>away from the tray to get to the lens and tray gears to clean it.
>
>We're next to a freeway and a refinery, with lots of construction and oily
>air, so machines build up a lot of dust and a little oil film. Plus we have
>a machine shop, so those machines get grisly, too. Even when the shop is
>kept very clean. One old PS/2 Model 80 actually sloshed when we opened it
>up, as it had acquired a significant amount of machine coolant oil. The
>thing had stopped working because a board had fallen out of the socket, due
>to the cheesy way the board retainers worked in a PS/2.

Wow, sloshy. Never heard "sloshed" used to describe a computer. Except
maybe the Cray 2's coolant "waterfall". :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
!