Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Simple Clean Install Question...

Last response: in Windows 7
August 30, 2011 1:05:25 AM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer. I'd like to do a clean install on a new HP laptop I just bought. Can I use any Windows 7 64-bit ISO and activate with my current Product Key?
August 30, 2011 1:29:19 AM

Not any. There are OEM, Retail, Corporate, Educational etc. versions of Windows and your key will not work on all of them.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2011 1:43:01 AM

pepe2907 said:
Not any. There are OEM, Retail, Corporate, Educational etc. versions of Windows and your key will not work on all of them.

I don't think that is the case with 7. As long as the edition matches the key (home premium key to a home premium disk, Ultimate disk to an Ultimate key) it should work fine.

What you say was true for XP and earlier. But my disks have been interchangeable for both Vista and 7.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 30, 2011 1:52:08 AM

pblaket said:
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer. I'd like to do a clean install on a new HP laptop I just bought. Can I use any Windows 7 64-bit ISO and activate with my current Product Key?

Again, as long as the edition matches the key, you should be fine. 32 bit and 64 bit are interchangeable. So if your installed OS is 32bit home premium, that key will work with a 64 bit home premium disk as well. However, you cannot use a key for home premium with a Pro or ultimate disk. Or vice versa.

On a side note, I believe that all 7 disks contain all editions and can be modified allow you to select which edition you wish to install at boot. I know some are like this because I have done it.

As for activation. The key on the OEM install will not activate unless you know how to do OEM SLP activation as the OEM machine does have a bios table. The key on the case/COA will activate, but only over the phone.

Hope I didn't make that too complicated.
August 30, 2011 3:17:03 AM

Best answer selected by pblaket.
Score
August 30, 2011 3:17:30 AM

Not at all. Thank you very much.
Score
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 7, 2011 7:12:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!