Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
MEM | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) SDRAM DDR2 800
CPU | AMD|A64 X2 5000+ 2.6G AM2 2M R
COOLER| ARCTIC FREEZER 64 PRO R
MB | GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G RT
HD | Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s
CASE | Antec New Solution NSK3480 380W Power Supply

With the above, I tried overclocking, increasing the cpu to 3200 and the video to 900. No problems with performance, but the fan ran constantly on high. So I started stepping back, but still too much fan noise. So I reloaded defaults. But the fan still runs faster, varying from medium to high, whereas before I ever tried overclocking it ran most of the time on low. Right now it is about 1900 rpm, which is medium, with the cpu temp at 49 and teh system at 32, according to easytune5. So it is blowing harder than needed, what can I do about it? Boy it was almost silent for a week until I fooled around withe clock.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Open the case up while the system is off. Unplug the fans from the motherboard and plug them back in.

If this does not work- reset the CMOS using the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard.

Some BIOS lets you manually set the speed of your fans also. One or the other of your above suggestions should correct your problem though.

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Hmm , didn't do it. The bios doesn't provide anywhere to set the fan speed, just enable or disable smart control. I tried Speedfan, but it doesn't change the speed either. It is only the CPU fan, as the case fan is manual.

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
No, cmos didn't help, but with some quick help from the author, I got speed fan working. Now it also works with just bios settings, too (don't no why that kicked it on). But it still seems odd - the chip heats up more quickly. and I wonder if either the hot NB is affecting things (seems unlikely), or the difficulty I had seating the cpu cooler rubbed off the paste. Guess I will get some more paste and reseat the cooler before trying anything else.

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Got the paste and reseated the cooler and that seemed to help. But any overclocking sends the temp up pretty quick. In XP I am running with speedfan managing fans for a 45c temp, and the fan is at my min setting of 70% (barely audible) half of the time. I may have applied the paste a little thick this time - it is really cramped trying to get the artic freezer into this case adn I was afraid of rubbing it off again.

Also, how do you remove those spring-loaded screws from the nb heatsink? I got the thermaltake nb cooler, but don't know how to get that heatsink out. As it is I also learned that all the hype about NB high temps on this mb is probably wrong. As it is, mine never seems more than warm to the touch, and apparently there is no sensor for it.

jaz50y

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
This is really driving me nuts. I again cleaned cooler and cpu and very carefully reapplied thermal grease, dragging a couple of rice-sized pieces with a razor for a thin even coat. I still can't keep the cpu temp down without running cpu fan at top speed. I even added an 80mm fan to the side opening of the case. Can there be a problem with the cpu or the motherboard causing this? With fan on high the cpu varies from 46 to 52c on idle.