Missing ntldr can't boot into windows

williamhaze

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hello,
so here's the situation
i had a dual boot system with 2 windows xp on 2 different hard drives (system is ide, 2nd is sata). my system disk got formatted and now i can't get into my second install of xp. i've tried going into bios to switch boot sequence and i ran fixmbr with no luck. now i've installed another copy of xp onto the system disk in order to get help from you guys/girls, so is there a way to get the 2nd drive in the boot menu? thanks for your time!

Solution

Float a copy of the file C:\NTLDR from the good installation into the bad using Command Prompt "copy c:\ntldr x:\" where X is the other drive. Also, in the good installation go Start>Run and ion the Open box, type msconfig and hit Enter. Under the Boot tab...

Float a copy of the file C:\NTLDR from the good installation into the bad using Command Prompt "copy c:\ntldr x:\" where X is the other drive. Also, in the good installation go Start>Run and ion the Open box, type msconfig and hit Enter. Under the Boot tab, click Check all boot paths and see what comes up. If the system wants a restart let it have one then go into C:\boot.ini and edit it as a Notepad document to include an entry for the second drive. Use the drive information carefully - Hard Disk 0 or 1, Partition whatever.

Solution