Bought New Hardrive for Windows Xp 2002 & no signal in monitor now?

Nom1

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
Hi

I've bought a new hardrive Western Digital for my old desktop Windows Xp 2002 and when I tried attaching everything is good but now my monitor gets no signal

Please help

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Windows Xp 2002 Sp2 i think?
128mb DDR 333 MHz
Old Hardrive 40gb
New Hardrive 160gb Western Digital

Also The computer came without a Xp installation disk, because it came pre installed but I found the product key on the side of the system but thats all

so.. im guessing im screwed now or if you have any ideas please send me it quickly!!

Thanks

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
First off, do you have another monitor you can connect to your computer, and do you have another computer you can connect to your monitor (or do you have friends that could help)? This would narrow down which device has the problem.

When you say it "gets no signal", does it show a mesage about "No Signal", or is the display simply black?

As for the drives, did you just copy your files from the old HDD to the new one, or did you simply install the new one as a secondary drive, and Windows is still installed on the old 40GB drive?

A "no signal" warning from your computer shouldn't be the result of your windows installation UNLESS Windows is trying to drive the monitor at a resolution that it cannot handle (i.e. a 15-inch monitor won't run 1600x1200).

How far do you get when you boot-up the computer? Does ANYTHING display on the monitor? Do you get messages from your BIOS about memory and drives installed? Do you see the Windows XP Boot screen (with the scrolling bar underneath)?

If you can see anything after powering-on the computer, try booting into Safe Mode. Reset the PC, then press F8 about once a second until you get to a screen that lets you select Safe Mode or Normal Mode (if such a screen never appears, thats a problem). If you can boot into safe mode, do you see your desktop? Try setting your resolution to something low (like 800x600). Then restart your computer and let it boot normally, did this fix the problem?

If the monitor never displays anything, re-check the cables (at the monitor and the computer). Do you have on-board graphics or a discrete graphics card? If its a discrete card, turn off the computer, then check that the graphics card is properly seated in the mother board. If the card requires a power connection, make sure that the power cable is plugged in tight.

Trying out these things should either resolve the problem or at least narrow down where it might be in your system.

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hi When I was connected to my newer monitor that I got for Windows Vista but unfortunately broke I used the monitor for other purposes but I've tried with an older monitor (one of the Square box kind) and still nothing appears just black screen.

Also I never took the time of transferring the files etc from the 40GB drive to the 160GB drive I decided to just pull the old one out because nothing would really open in it, it was garbage cause the only file the would work pretty good was Guest account but anytime I would like to update something or download something there wasn't enough virtual memory there was approximately 8.98GB left in the hardrive but that was because I had done a disk defragmentation.

And im not sure if I put the jumpers in the right place but the instructions came with it and on the hardrive theres photos of where you can put the jumpers into to see if any of those possibilities would work Also when I put the old hardrive inside the computer I've tried all the possibilities with the jumpers but nothing will show up onto the screen, now im not sure if its the ram or the motherboard or maybe im not doing it right but if you have any solutions please send me some step by step information on how to figure out this problem.

Thanks Please send me some information as soon as possible atleast within the hour

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hi When I was connected to my newer monitor that I got for Windows Vista but unfortunately broke I used the monitor for other purposes but I've tried with an older monitor (one of the Square box kind) and still nothing appears just black screen.

Also I never took the time of transferring the files etc from the 40GB drive to the 160GB drive I decided to just pull the old one out because nothing would really open in it, it was garbage cause the only file the would work pretty good was Guest account but anytime I would like to update something or download something there wasn't enough virtual memory there was approximately 8.98GB left in the hardrive but that was because I had done a disk defragmentation.

And im not sure if I put the jumpers in the right place but the instructions came with it and on the hardrive theres photos of where you can put the jumpers into to see if any of those possibilities would work Also when I put the old hardrive inside the computer I've tried all the possibilities with the jumpers but nothing will show up onto the screen, now im not sure if its the ram or the motherboard or maybe im not doing it right but if you have any solutions please send me some step by step information on how to figure out this problem.

Thanks Please send me some information as soon as possible atleast within the hour

Thanks

Well, if you unplug the hard drive and boot the system does the system post with a BIOS screen? Try resetting the CMOS jumper, instructions in the MB/system manual. Remove the MB battery and unplug the unit from wall before reseting the jumper.

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I've Tried without the hardrive but nothing appears still also what is a BIOS screen & CMOS Jumper

Thanks

You might try booting the system with no hard drive connected and tap the 'delete' key of 'F1' key and see if a BIOS screen appears. If that produces no system POST, try removing the battery and unplug the system for an hour. What make and model of computer is it?

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hi Badge I've done what you said but nothing appeared but all it did was beep for a second it was still on but then nothing

And if you don't mind me asking where is the battery on a Desktop Thanks

MB battery is the round silver disc snapped onto the MB usually near the CMOS reset jumper. Is there a computer shop nearby where a bench technician can trouble shoot the unit for you? You would have to have had some experience in troubleshooting a PC to solve or find the problem with the system. If one beep is heard when booting the syste, the system BIOS check has completed. YOu might want to try this, I don't know. Put everything backi exactly the way it was before you tried to install a new hard drive, including the old hard drive. See if the sytem runs like it did before.

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Ok Iv'e put everything back together but no signal still, Also is the battery this big Rectangular box if so what should I do next

Thanks

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Yes Futureshop has technicians that could help me with it im pretty sure but all I found is a Big Box with a fan behind it and a rectangular shape one but i think thats the disc drive

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Ok I've taking out the battery its a Toshiba Lithium Battery 3V

Also I've got one Stick of Ram in the Computer its 128MB

now im stuck what now :pfff:

Leave the battery out for like 30 minutes and unplug the unit from the wall. That may default the BIOS. If the system manual is around, you could try reading how to reset the CMOS jumper and default the BIOS that way. Other than that, check how much a tech would want to test it for you. You would need spare parts to trioubleshoot the system. RAM, PSU, CPU, VC and so on.

Nom12

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Ok Thanks Badge ill probably have more questions so don't leave ill be sending you posts when im stuck lol :D :D :D :D