mobo for a new intel system!

eylee86

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i'm thinking about building a new system as soon as the Q9450 price drops this 3Q of the year (which is expected i believe?). I want to know if I can get any recommendations (budget of ~$150) for a mobo. I initially was going to get 8800GT SLI knowing that the price of 8800GT are starting to hit below 150 with rebates. But with the release of HD4850/4870. I'm torn between choosing a board that has SLI or Crossfire. It is either 1. get some SLI board and get 8800GT SLI or 2. get a mobo with crossfire capability and stick with just one 4850 for now and put another 4850 later. So what I also want to ask is which has more potential in the future SLI or Crossfire? Oh and specific recommendations of SLI/CrossFire mobo would be great :)

Thanks in advance!

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Stay away from Nvidia chipsets, Intel chipsets are much more stable, faster and less expensive. A lot can happen by the time your ready to buy. Both ATI and Nvidia are supposed to be releasing cards within the next few months and sometime in late Q3-Q4 Intel will be releasing Nehalem. Your best bet would be to wait until you are actually ready to buy and ask again and give a budget for the whole system.

Just to answer your questions though if you bought now and since you are looking for the ability to use multiple cards your best bet would be crossfire with a X38 or X48 chipset. They are discontinuing the X38 because the X48 is out so by the time your ready to buy that would be what your looking for. This is mine and I can't recommend it enough.

Video card would depend on what's available and the pricing structure at that time but the 4870 or 4870 1gb if it's available by then would be my suggestions.

You never know what might happen though ATI might release some great new CPU's by then, Nvidia might come out with a great new chipset by then and there certainly will be different video card options by then.