Which heatsinks don't need lapping?

smg1138

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'm looking at getting a heatsink and fan for my new E8400 build. I used to get Thermalright heatsinks and lap them a few years back, but I really don't feel like doing that now. Are there actually any heatsinks with a totally flat, polished surface or do they all have machine marks? I just want something that will work well out of the box. Anybody know of some that would fit the bill?

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
From my experience the Zalman 9500CNPS is nice as is the Vigor Monsoon III LT. Both have a finish you can see yourself in. The Vigor seems to cool my i7 better though it is ~$20 more.

smg1138

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks. What about heatsinks that don't have built in fans? I've always preferred those because it's easier to replace a bad fan.

I've lapped heatsinks and cpu's. The CoolerMaster Hyper 212, which is a tower style cpu heatsink that can accomodate two 120mm fans, had a pretty flat base with a shiny finish. However, I could make out the circular machine marks.

I just remembered there is/was an online vendor that offered lapping as an option. Unfortunately I am growing old disgracefully and can't remember which one.

I had to think about this for a few minutes before it came to me. None of the cpu heatsinks really need lapping. A difference of 3 or 4 degrees isn't very much.

sontan

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I have a freezer pro 7. it can be bought for $20 and it cools my qx9650 like a champ for the past 6 months. the fan is external and can be easily replaced if needed. also, it is very quiet

anartik

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
The whole idea behind the not so flat Thermalrights and others is that the CPU is not flat. If you use a flat heatsink or lap a heatsink it may make things actually worse unless you lap the CPU. I used an E8500 on my last build and a U120E. In my case the heatsink was quite flat but the cpu heat spreader was terrible and required significant lapping to get it flat. By the time I was done only a little nickel was left around the edges and the rest was bare copper. With the U120E lapping it and the CPU provides maybe 1-3C improvement.