Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Voltage going nuts

akagi

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
Hello all. Really stumped here. And afraid for the life of my new Phenom X9850.

Recently bought this board for the Phenom and finally got around to do some mild overclocking with it. All that is going fine and dandy... Except...

I have the CPU voltage set in bios at 1.350 volts but ZCPU has the Core voltage ranging from 1.4 to 1.55 volts! whats going on here? I confirmed with Gigabytes own "EasyTune5". CPUVID is at 1.350, but VCORE A is around 1.5 volts.

Playing with Prime95 I noticed that the voltage is directly correlated with CPU utilization.

Is this normal?

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
the cpu will use any amount on voltage, dependeing on how much it needs, it cant use less then what u put but it can use a litlle more, my i set to 1.4v and it uses 1.45 and what ever it needs to keep performing stable, thats good rather than something to be afraid of as u dont have to chage v. everytime it does it automaticly.

snakej

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
the cpu will use any amount on voltage, dependeing on how much it needs, it cant use less then what u put but it can use a litlle more, my i set to 1.4v and it uses 1.45 and what ever it needs to keep performing stable, thats good rather than something to be afraid of as u dont have to chage v. everytime it does it automaticly.

but againg i have a dual core and u aquadcore wich obously need more voltage then mine as it uses 1.5 and u put in bios 1.3 i should said to raised a little more in bios to have it stable but not to high as this will increment temperature wich is bad.

now i have a question for you, we have the same boards and u know that in the page says that it will downgrade if u install a +AM2 cpu like yours, but some people tell me is not big deal, how does it perform u think u pc is fast, i might just buy the same cpu as u. if performance is good.