Motherboard

Last response: in Video Games
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 7:23:45 PM

I am going AMD, with NVidia SLI chipset. I plan on going dual core,
64-bit. Can I get the motherboard and go non-dual core now, and
upgrade to a dual core later, or do I have to have a dual core from
the start? I think the former, but haven't studied it much,

With that out of the way, which motherboard do I get?

Feeeeeed me, Seymour.

RagManX
http://www.gamepatches.info/ - Are you up to date?

More about : motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 7:23:46 PM

Randy Graham's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> I am going AMD, with NVidia SLI chipset. I plan on going dual core,
> 64-bit. Can I get the motherboard and go non-dual core now, and
> upgrade to a dual core later, or do I have to have a dual core from
> the start? I think the former, but haven't studied it much,
> With that out of the way, which motherboard do I get?

Yes, go with a 939 pin motherboard. That'll support the single core 939
pin chips, or the dual core ones.

I like Abit and Asus. look at like the AV8, and such.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 7:23:46 PM

Someone told me his Chaintech VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
motherboards supports single-core AMD 64s for today, and with a BIOS
upgrade it will support dual-core when those are mainstream. I see no
point in getting a dual-core yet, but eh.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen - http://www.coryhansen.com
Life is journey, not a destination. So stop running.

"Randy Graham" <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in message
>I am going AMD, with NVidia SLI chipset. I plan on going dual core,
> 64-bit. Can I get the motherboard and go non-dual core now, and
> upgrade to a dual core later, or do I have to have a dual core from
> the start? I think the former, but haven't studied it much,
>
> With that out of the way, which motherboard do I get?
>
> Feeeeeed me, Seymour.
>
> RagManX
> http://www.gamepatches.info/ - Are you up to date?

Good questions. I have always been Intel, and was holding out for their 64
bit/dual core chips before next upgrade, but that is looking dimmer each
day, and AMD looking brighter.

Quixote
July 15, 2005 9:07:15 PM

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:34:59 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Randy Graham" <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in message
>>I am going AMD, with NVidia SLI chipset. I plan on going dual core,
>> 64-bit. Can I get the motherboard and go non-dual core now, and
>> upgrade to a dual core later, or do I have to have a dual core from
>> the start? I think the former, but haven't studied it much,
>>
>> With that out of the way, which motherboard do I get?
>>
>> Feeeeeed me, Seymour.
>>
>> RagManX
>> http://www.gamepatches.info/ - Are you up to date?
>
>Good questions. I have always been Intel, and was holding out for their 64
>bit/dual core chips before next upgrade, but that is looking dimmer each
>day, and AMD looking brighter.

I try not to be a fanboy of any particular vendor. I went that rout
with 3Dfx and got burned ultimately.

Now I look at the benchmarks, stats, reviews and overall reputation of
the vendor. The best one at the time I have cash in hand is the winner
of the money.

For the past 5 years AMD has found a home in my cases. Not because of
vendor loyalty. But because they had the best performance for the
dollar spent.

AMD is a good choice. I helped an older guy at the Gulfport Armed
Forces Retirement Home build an Athlon64 3200+ system last fall. It
was cool to see how fast 32bit Windows XP ran under it. Photoshop
applied filters faster than I had seen before. He signed up for the
64-bit beta, but I didn't get to see how a 64-bit XP ran personally.

When I asked him why he wanted a 64 bit system, he honestly replied
that it was for bragging rights. He just wanted to have the fastest
computer in the Home. :)  Must be nice to be retired!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

"Randy Graham" <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in message
>I am going AMD, with NVidia SLI chipset. I plan on going dual core,
> 64-bit. Can I get the motherboard and go non-dual core now, and
> upgrade to a dual core later, or do I have to have a dual core from
> the start? I think the former, but haven't studied it much,
>
> With that out of the way, which motherboard do I get?
>
> Feeeeeed me, Seymour.
>
> RagManX
> http://www.gamepatches.info/ - Are you up to date?

to answer your first question on your own, i'd start with finding out how
many pins those different processors have.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 15, 2005 10:16:19 PM

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:34:59 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Randy Graham" <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in message
>>>I am going AMD, with NVidia SLI chipset. I plan on going dual core,
>>> 64-bit. Can I get the motherboard and go non-dual core now, and
>>> upgrade to a dual core later, or do I have to have a dual core from
>>> the start? I think the former, but haven't studied it much,
>>>
>>> With that out of the way, which motherboard do I get?
>>>
>>> Feeeeeed me, Seymour.
>>>
>>> RagManX
>>> http://www.gamepatches.info/ - Are you up to date?
>>
>>Good questions. I have always been Intel, and was holding out for their
>>64
>>bit/dual core chips before next upgrade, but that is looking dimmer each
>>day, and AMD looking brighter.
>
> I try not to be a fanboy of any particular vendor. I went that rout
> with 3Dfx and got burned ultimately.
>
> Now I look at the benchmarks, stats, reviews and overall reputation of
> the vendor. The best one at the time I have cash in hand is the winner
> of the money.
>
> For the past 5 years AMD has found a home in my cases. Not because of
> vendor loyalty. But because they had the best performance for the
> dollar spent.
>
> AMD is a good choice. I helped an older guy at the Gulfport Armed
> Forces Retirement Home build an Athlon64 3200+ system last fall. It
> was cool to see how fast 32bit Windows XP ran under it. Photoshop
> applied filters faster than I had seen before. He signed up for the
> 64-bit beta, but I didn't get to see how a 64-bit XP ran personally.
>
> When I asked him why he wanted a 64 bit system, he honestly replied
> that it was for bragging rights. He just wanted to have the fastest
> computer in the Home. :)  Must be nice to be retired!

My main reason for Intel was that I started building my systems back with
the Pentium 100 MHz. Back then there was no other chip maker really, and I
got into a system of upgrading and doing hand-me-downs for the other family
members starting with the wife, then the kids in order of age. We have all
had our own machines for years, and need of power and innovation tapered
down on the scale. In order to keep the system working required obviously
Intel based boards and chips. With fewer kids at home now that is less an
issue, as is the gain of speed in recent chips slowing down in increment
jumps these days. I may just build my first AMD system when it comes to
laying the cash down.

Quixote
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2005 12:11:57 AM

Randy Graham's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> I'm considering the new Abit f4t4l17y or whatever l33t-speak variant
> they are using for the Fatality. Your opinion? Usually, I
> extensively research and ponder for a long time, but I'm not in the
> mood to figure it all out for myself right now.

I am not familiar with that one. I only look at mobo's when I'm building a
machine up.
July 16, 2005 12:21:09 AM

> I'm considering the new Abit f4t4l17y or whatever l33t-speak variant
> they are using for the Fatality. Your opinion? Usually, I
> extensively research and ponder for a long time, but I'm not in the
> mood to figure it all out for myself right now.
>
> RagManX
> http://www.gamepatches.info/ - Are you up to date?

Did you read the review at [H], Randy?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2005 10:37:05 AM

Randy Graham wrote:
<<snippage HAS occurred here>>>
>>> I am going AMD, with NVidia SLI chipset. I plan on going dual core,
>>> 64-bit.

That's another spec I want in my new tower- 64-bit, not 32-bit.

a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2005 10:42:54 AM

Shinnokxz wrote:
> Someone told me his Chaintech VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4
> motherboards supports single-core AMD 64s for today, and with a BIOS
> upgrade it will support dual-core when those are mainstream. I see no
> point in getting a dual-core yet, but eh.

Dude, did you make that wonderful gradient blue graphic
on your main page?

a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2005 10:52:27 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> AMD is a good choice. I helped an older guy at the Gulfport Armed
> Forces Retirement Home build an Athlon64 3200+ system last fall. It
> was cool to see how fast 32bit Windows XP ran under it. Photoshop
> applied filters faster than I had seen before. He signed up for the
> 64-bit beta, but I didn't get to see how a 64-bit XP ran personally.

I had to pass up the Compaq laptop I wanted running that exact
setup because of finances at the time. Pooh.

> When I asked him why he wanted a 64 bit system, he honestly replied
> that it was for bragging rights. He just wanted to have the fastest
> computer in the Home. :)  Must be nice to be retired!

Indeed it is! :)

a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2005 2:22:56 PM

Randy Graham <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in

> Can I get the motherboard and go non-dual core now, and
> upgrade to a dual core later

For single-core, go with a .90 micron process. (That means the feature
sizes on the silicon are that small.) These cores run much cooler for the
same performance. The Venice core (what I have) has a 512 kB cache, and the
San Diego core has the 1 MB cache. (San Diego's weren't available when I
made my purchase.) You can sometimes get combo deals combining one of these
with a mobo. Get the CPU in "retail packaging" so that you get the long
warranty.

The harder question is the OS. You can run WinXP Pro 64-bit, but vendors
are a bit slow coming out with drivers for it. Worse than Linux right now.
You could set it up to dual-boot 32-bit. Or quad-boot with both 32- and 64-
bit variants of Windows and Linux.

Mine's set up with XP64, Fedora 32, and Fedora 64. I'm doing some work with
Torque (what Tribes 2 is written in) and it's not quite ready for 64 bits
yet, though I'm working on that. So I've still got my 32-bit Linux
partition to test on.

It's not possible to "upgrade" straight from Linux 32-bit to 64-bit (too
many things change) and I expect XP will have the same issues, so as you
load up your disk, keep the OS separate from the apps and data so you can
easily rip it out and replace it completely.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 16, 2005 11:48:17 PM

Told ya nt...

--
Fabrice Roux --- www.fabriceroux.com
Tribes and Paint Shop Pro scripts

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in

> For right now, yes, but it's already in some laptops, so I
> assume all the other will catch up shortly.
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
> 487,00.html

Huh? Intel 64 bit is in laptops, or AMD 64bit? I'm lost :D

Anyway, I'm running a Venice core right now, in a SFF, and it runs cooler
than my old T-bird in a full size case with mega fans, so I'm happy. The
x700 helps too. Non-pro though.

That having been said, my laptop with the p4 in it still decodes dvds
faster than my AMD system.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2005 7:42:08 PM

"Spanner" <nonehere@fu.com> wrote in message
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in
>
>> For right now, yes, but it's already in some laptops, so I
>> assume all the other will catch up shortly.
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>> 487,00.html
>>

> Huh? Intel 64 bit is in laptops, or AMD 64bit? I'm lost :D
>
> Anyway, I'm running a Venice core right now, in a SFF, and it runs cooler
> than my old T-bird in a full size case with mega fans, so I'm happy. The
> x700 helps too. Non-pro though.
>
> That having been said, my laptop with the p4 in it still decodes dvds
> faster than my AMD system.

That is the one area Intel still holds on to, is video rendering.

Quixote
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2005 9:47:28 AM

Spanner wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote:
>> For right now, yes, but it's already in some laptops, so I
>> assume all the other will catch up shortly.
>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/...
>> 487,00.html
>>

> Huh? Intel 64 bit is in laptops, or AMD 64bit? I'm lost :D

See? I *knew* I was gonna screw up speaking geek last night!!
I read "Intel" as "AMD" evidently, having AMD on the brain...

> Anyway, I'm running a Venice core right now, in a SFF, and it runs
> cooler than my old T-bird in a full size case with mega fans, so I'm
> happy. The x700 helps too. Non-pro though.
>
> That having been said, my laptop with the p4 in it still decodes dvds
> faster than my AMD system.

I don't like the amount of time it takes this Celery to access
all the files on a data CD, or look into a large folder. It's much
slower than my desktop. Here's my specs, a la "My Computer":

Gateway M320 and 4500 Series
Intel Celeron M processor 1.40GHz
1.40GHz, 480MB of RAM

Now, my desktop has only a 1.10GHz AMD-64 (32bit) processor,
and basically the same amount of RAM (512, as 256x2), yet it
opens my large data bases faster. The processor is .30GHz slower
in theory, so why does it operate faster?

--
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

July 18, 2005 3:14:28 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42db4270$1_5
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> I don't like the amount of time it takes this Celery to access
> all the files on a data CD, or look into a large folder. It's much
> slower than my desktop. Here's my specs, a la "My Computer":
>
> Gateway M320 and 4500 Series
> Intel Celeron M processor 1.40GHz
> 1.40GHz, 480MB of RAM
>
> Now, my desktop has only a 1.10GHz AMD-64 (32bit) processor,
> and basically the same amount of RAM (512, as 256x2), yet it
> opens my large data bases faster. The processor is .30GHz slower
> in theory, so why does it operate faster?

Many reasons why that would operate faster. First, celerons don't have
the frontside bus that athlons do. Second, they also don't have the
onboard cache that the athlons have, and third, your harddrives in your
desktop are probably faster than your harddrives in your laptop. Those
are all big factors in how fast your system is going to run. You could
have a P4 or athlon 64 rated for 5 ghz, but if your hdd spins at a rate
of 1000rpm, well, it's just not going to be able to access the data as
fast as a computer that has faster drives. (Yes, I know, 5400rpm, 7200
rpm, I'm just making up numbers for the sake of it!)(And no, we won't
explain RAID, because I can't!)

Also, your AMD processor has a larger memmory cache right on the
processor itself, which it can access. So it doesn't have to access the
memmory on the mother board as much as the Celeron. Now that isn't a
very good explaination of that, but it'll have to do. Someone else might
come up with some better explaintions of this stuff. :D
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2005 10:45:12 AM

Spanner wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42db4270$1_5
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>

>> I don't like the amount of time it takes this Celery to access
>> all the files on a data CD, or look into a large folder. It's much
>> slower than my desktop. Here's my specs, a la "My Computer":
>>
>> Gateway M320 and 4500 Series
>> Intel Celeron M processor 1.40GHz
>> 1.40GHz, 480MB of RAM
>>
>> Now, my desktop has only a 1.10GHz AMD-64 (32bit) processor,
>> and basically the same amount of RAM (512, as 256x2), yet it
>> opens my large data bases faster. The processor is .30GHz slower
>> in theory, so why does it operate faster?
>>

> Many reasons why that would operate faster. First, celerons don't
> have the frontside bus that athlons do. Second, they also don't have
> the onboard cache that the athlons have, and third, your harddrives
> in your desktop are probably faster than your harddrives in your
> laptop. Those are all big factors in how fast your system is going
> to run. You could have a P4 or athlon 64 rated for 5 ghz, but if
> your hdd spins at a rate of 1000rpm, well, it's just not going to be
> able to access the data as fast as a computer that has faster drives.
> (Yes, I know, 5400rpm, 7200 rpm, I'm just making up numbers for the
> sake of it!)(And no, we won't explain RAID, because I can't!)
>
> Also, your AMD processor has a larger memmory cache right on the
> processor itself, which it can access. So it doesn't have to access
> the memmory on the mother board as much as the Celeron. Now that
> isn't a very good explaination of that, but it'll have to do. Someone
> else might come up with some better explaintions of this stuff. :D

Actually, your last paragraph makes a lot of sense to me. I do
get the RPM factor for drives, so that's 2 things I understand so far!

Third, if you are correct, Athlons have it all over Celerons!
:D

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2005 11:36:03 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Spanner wrote:
> > "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42db4270$1_5
> > @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
> >

> >> I don't like the amount of time it takes this Celery to access
> >> all the files on a data CD, or look into a large folder. It's much
> >> slower than my desktop. Here's my specs, a la "My Computer":
> >>
> >> Gateway M320 and 4500 Series
> >> Intel Celeron M processor 1.40GHz
> >> 1.40GHz, 480MB of RAM
> >>
> >> Now, my desktop has only a 1.10GHz AMD-64 (32bit) processor,
> >> and basically the same amount of RAM (512, as 256x2), yet it
> >> opens my large data bases faster. The processor is .30GHz slower
> >> in theory, so why does it operate faster?
> >>

> > Many reasons why that would operate faster. First, celerons don't
> > have the frontside bus that athlons do. Second, they also don't have
> > the onboard cache that the athlons have, and third, your harddrives
> > in your desktop are probably faster than your harddrives in your
> > laptop. Those are all big factors in how fast your system is going
> > to run. You could have a P4 or athlon 64 rated for 5 ghz, but if
> > your hdd spins at a rate of 1000rpm, well, it's just not going to be
> > able to access the data as fast as a computer that has faster drives.
> > (Yes, I know, 5400rpm, 7200 rpm, I'm just making up numbers for the
> > sake of it!)(And no, we won't explain RAID, because I can't!)
> >
> > Also, your AMD processor has a larger memmory cache right on the
> > processor itself, which it can access. So it doesn't have to access
> > the memmory on the mother board as much as the Celeron. Now that
> > isn't a very good explaination of that, but it'll have to do. Someone
> > else might come up with some better explaintions of this stuff. :D
>

> Actually, your last paragraph makes a lot of sense to me. I do
> get the RPM factor for drives, so that's 2 things I understand so far!
>
> Third, if you are correct, Athlons have it all over Celerons!
> :D
>
> --
> {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
> >^,,^< Miracle

Miracle, there are times a wet napkin has it on a celeron.

Intel made 2 kinds of chips: P3's/P4's and then celerons. Celerons are
absolutely the lame duck of the family. but they're cheap.(ish)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 21, 2005 5:41:42 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42df304f_7
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> Yah, I know the processor doesn't affect stability, but
> leaving the computer on 24/7/365 can't be good for it, eh?

When you turn them on, you suddenly heat them up, and that causes all the
connections to rapidly expand. That causes mechanical stress, and
eventually the component fails. Newer stuff is less sensitive to this, but
it still takes a toll.

Newer stuff is also designed to be "green", meaning it goes into low power
mode when left unused for awhile. Monitors switch off the tube, CPU's drop
to a fraction of their speed, hard disks spin down. You can control how
agressive that is from the Power Management control in Windows Control
Panel.
July 21, 2005 8:47:49 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:41:42 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42df304f_7
>@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> Yah, I know the processor doesn't affect stability, but
>> leaving the computer on 24/7/365 can't be good for it, eh?
>
>When you turn them on, you suddenly heat them up, and that causes all the
>connections to rapidly expand. That causes mechanical stress, and
>eventually the component fails. Newer stuff is less sensitive to this, but
>it still takes a toll.
>
>Newer stuff is also designed to be "green", meaning it goes into low power
>mode when left unused for awhile. Monitors switch off the tube, CPU's drop
>to a fraction of their speed, hard disks spin down. You can control how
>agressive that is from the Power Management control in Windows Control
>Panel.

Yep yep! And the DoD did a study on the affects of the expansion and
contraction caused by warm up and cool down on PC's. At the defense
departments, computers are left on 24/7.

Some people are hell-bent on shutting stuff down, though. I've seen it
time and again, even when you, as an admin, ask everyone to leave
systems up so they can do after-hour scans and run scripts and
whatnot, people will still switch off the node their on at the end of
the business day.

And it seems to be slightly older people who love to switch stuff off.
For fear of things "exploding", I guess. Back in the days when
electricity was new and appliances were not to be trusted unattended.
:)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> Some people are hell-bent on shutting stuff down, though. I've seen it
> time and again, even when you, as an admin, ask everyone to leave
> systems up so they can do after-hour scans and run scripts and
> whatnot, people will still switch off the node their on at the end of
> the business day.

That's what Wake-on-Lan is for. Make sure it's enabled in the BIOS, and dig
up a script to send the magic packet to wake them up a few minutes before
you need to remote to them.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 3:00:46 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:47:49 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> Yep yep! And the DoD

"Department of" ... "Disease"? "Death"? "Deading"? "Dilemas"?

[Snip]

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

Mr K's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:47:49 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>> Yep yep! And the DoD
> "Department of" ... "Disease"? "Death"? "Deading"? "Dilemas"?
> [Snip]

Department of Defense
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 3:00:47 AM

Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in news:42e01c0c$1$337
$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com:

>> Yep yep! And the DoD
>
> "Department of" ... "Disease"? "Death"? "Deading"? "Dilemas"?

Yep, it does all those things. ;)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 4:09:28 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:25:38 GMT, Hellmark wrote:

> Department of Defense

IOW, "Department of Penpushers".

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 11:07:38 AM

> Actually leaving components on is not detrimental. I leave all my
> machines on 24/7/365 excluding during bad lightning. It is the
> initial start that is harder on components.
>
> Quixote

Cool, I won't worry about it anymore!! :)

a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 11:12:01 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> When you turn them on, you suddenly heat them up, and that causes all
> the connections to rapidly expand. That causes mechanical stress, and
> eventually the component fails. Newer stuff is less sensitive to
> this, but it still takes a toll.

I learn new stuff all the time! :)

> Newer stuff is also designed to be "green", meaning it goes into low
> power mode when left unused for awhile. Monitors switch off the tube,
> CPU's drop to a fraction of their speed, hard disks spin down. You
> can control how agressive that is from the Power Management control
> in Windows Control Panel.

Yup. Most of the boxes in mine are checked "Never". LOL

a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 11:15:10 AM

Mr K wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:25:38 GMT, Hellmark wrote:
>
>> Department of Defense
>
> IOW, "Department of Penpushers".

No no, Department of (Warmongering) Dunderheads.

July 22, 2005 2:32:10 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:07:59 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Some people are hell-bent on shutting stuff down, though. I've seen it
>> time and again, even when you, as an admin, ask everyone to leave
>> systems up so they can do after-hour scans and run scripts and
>> whatnot, people will still switch off the node their on at the end of
>> the business day.
>
>That's what Wake-on-Lan is for. Make sure it's enabled in the BIOS, and dig
>up a script to send the magic packet to wake them up a few minutes before
>you need to remote to them.

I always thought that was Quake on Lan, and I was like, "Duh! Quake
rules on LAN! Everyone knows that."

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

>>> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 17:07:15 -0500, "Smeghead"
>>> <tribesfan@hotmail.com> said:

tirbesfan> [ ... ] I helped an older guy at the Gulfport Armed
tribesfan> Forces Retirement Home build an Athlon64 3200+ system
tribesfan> last fall. [ ... ] When I asked him why he wanted a
tribesfan> 64 bit system, he honestly replied that it was for
tribesfan> bragging rights. He just wanted to have the fastest
tribesfan> computer in the Home. :)  Must be nice to be retired!

I guess that it can be nice on a government, executive or UAW
pension. Otherwise, it may be a less nice Wal*Mart ''retirement''.
:-)
July 22, 2005 4:38:11 PM

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:38:10 +0100, pg_nh@0506.exp.sabi.co.UK (Peter
Grandi) wrote:

>tirbesfan> [ ... ] I helped an older guy at the Gulfport Armed
>tribesfan> Forces Retirement Home build an Athlon64 3200+ system
>tribesfan> last fall. [ ... ] When I asked him why he wanted a
>tribesfan> 64 bit system, he honestly replied that it was for
>tribesfan> bragging rights. He just wanted to have the fastest
>tribesfan> computer in the Home. :)  Must be nice to be retired!
>
>I guess that it can be nice on a government, executive or UAW
>pension. Otherwise, it may be a less nice Wal*Mart ''retirement''.
>:-)

Hehehe, yeah, that's true. Not all retirments are created equal.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

On 22 Jul 2005 07:15:10 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> No no, Department of (Warmongering) Dunderheads.

Aye, penpushers. They who never see frontline action, yet are willing to
send people to war.

For a good cause... obviously.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2005 1:54:11 PM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e1f465_6
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> You should know better than to get me started........

And now the pinheads in the House have been stampeded by the latest
bombings to renew the "Patriot" Act. Reminds me of Jackson's Alien and
Sedition Act that we learned about back in grade school. "But Henny Penny,
the *sky* is falling!"
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 23, 2005 11:43:35 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:07:38 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> I like the fact that the SO19 armed police in London have "shoot to
> kill" orders for anyone (bomber) that does not comply to subduing
> action.

Just remember... no wearing a backpack in the UK, otherwise you're at risk
of being shot.

> Man, I love the English.

Yeah, we're great. :/

> Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
> border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.

I beg to differ.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
July 23, 2005 11:43:36 PM

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 19:43:35 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:07:38 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> I like the fact that the SO19 armed police in London have "shoot to
>> kill" orders for anyone (bomber) that does not comply to subduing
>> action.
>
>Just remember... no wearing a backpack in the UK, otherwise you're at risk
>of being shot.

A backpack and turban combo is probably right out!

>> Man, I love the English.
>
>Yeah, we're great. :/

Well... yeah. Modest too. :)

>> Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>> border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>
>I beg to differ.

Begging is unseemly. Just flat out disagree!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:37:10 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> A backpack and turban combo is probably right out!

Given the police's latest escapades, only the backpack counts.

> Well... yeah. Modest too. :)

Sarcasm doesn't transmit well over ASCII. :/

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2005 2:02:02 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42e1f465_6
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> You should know better than to get me started........
>
> And now the pinheads in the House have been stampeded by the latest
> bombings to renew the "Patriot" Act. Reminds me of Jackson's Alien and
> Sedition Act that we learned about back in grade school. "But Henny
> Penny, the *sky* is falling!"

I almost blew a gasket when they passed it. Our founding
fathers are spinning in their graves.

a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 10:22:02 PM

On 25 Jul 2005 08:40:02 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Ooh, that matches the twins' drunken escapades just fine! LOL

That's the problem with being in the public eye these days, you're
scrutinised for anything.

> Oh! Harry in the Nazi uniform! Yes, that made quite a few
> headlines here, as well. It would have been fine for any other
> young man,

Hmm.

> but a *prince*?!?!? Silly Harry!!

The great Eddie Izzard did a fine routine about inbreeding royals... and
how the IQ levels plummet. :)

> And even the bogus bomb made the news here- all things
> royal family are of interest, since there are so very many Diana
> fans here.

There's a couple over here too, including a certain loon called
"M.A.Fayed".

> Thank you. :o } Pisses me off, though, since I pay for
> this news service. Grrrrrrrr...........

That's bad. :(

> You won't know until you peek under your bed, will ya?

There's not much under my bed anyway, apart from drawers. :)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 12:29:07 AM

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in

> Unlike the cordial treatment these "unlawful combatants" give to their
> hostages. I think its starting to get a little messy in here with all
> the bleeding hearts personally. I would be for treating them like
> they would treat those they capture, chop off their heads. Don't
> forget we are dealing with people who cannot begin to fathom
> whatsoever the ideas of justice and rights that we share, and don't
> forget you are nothing to them but a ticket to heaven...

A nice, short article on the subject here:

http://harrybrowne.org/articles/TortureUse.htm

The issue is not whether to use torture, but the establishment of guilt.
And *that* process has been muddied when people used inappropriate means to
acquire evidence and the courts punished the evidence, not the people who
acquired it (who were protected behind badges).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 12:31:02 AM

>>Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>>border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>
> I suspect, in fact, it would be even less secure. "Ahh, that border's
> secure - the English are watching it - they're our friends, you know?"
>
> Yes, we Americans are a moronically trusting nation.

Given that we now have all the problems listed in the Declaration of
Independence as justification for throwing off Imperial Rule, we might as
well toss the Constitution in the dust bin of history and reapply to be a
Colony. The experiment has failed. We're no more free now than we were
then.
July 26, 2005 2:40:04 AM

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:31:02 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Randy Graham <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in
>
>>>Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>>>border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>>
>> I suspect, in fact, it would be even less secure. "Ahh, that border's
>> secure - the English are watching it - they're our friends, you know?"
>>
>> Yes, we Americans are a moronically trusting nation.
>
>Given that we now have all the problems listed in the Declaration of
>Independence as justification for throwing off Imperial Rule, we might as
>well toss the Constitution in the dust bin of history and reapply to be a
>Colony. The experiment has failed. We're no more free now than we were
>then.

Well, when Texas breaks away, I'm there! Any place with a fast-lane
execution policy can't be all that bad. :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Mr K wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2005 08:40:02 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>> You won't know until you peek under your bed, will ya?
>
> There's not much under my bed anyway, apart from drawers. :)

Hmmmm, in the UK, are drawers the wooden compartments
in a dresser, or underpants?

Here it can be either, so you either have a really cool platform
bed, or you toss your soiled undies under the bed. LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 10:54:22 AM

> Okay, that was probably a little harsh, and I don't wish to get into
> an argument over politics. I believe war is a necessary evil and I
> for one am glad that we had an administration in place that did
> something to try and stop the enemy. Years and years of boycotts
> have not worked. If bombing these freaks off the face of the earth
> or keeping them in camps protects my children and grandchildren then
> I am all for it. I had to moan and groan about Clinton for 8 years,
> what goes around comes around I say. :^p
> Quixote

When Clinton lied, no one died.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 10:54:23 AM

>> Okay, that was probably a little harsh, and I don't wish to get into
>> an argument over politics. I believe war is a necessary evil and I
>> for one am glad that we had an administration in place that did
>> something to try and stop the enemy. Years and years of boycotts
>> have not worked. If bombing these freaks off the face of the earth
>> or keeping them in camps protects my children and grandchildren then
>> I am all for it. I had to moan and groan about Clinton for 8 years,
>> what goes around comes around I say. :^p
>> Quixote
>

> When Clinton lied, no one died.

Yes, Clinton was just too busy getting blow jobs to be concerned with
warnings of terrorist attacks from hijacked planes to do anything about it.
But man he could play that saxophone....

Quixote
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 10:59:01 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Randy Graham <ragmanx@spamex.com> wrote in
>
>>> Why can't they be or border-neighbors instead of Canada? Or northern
>>> border would be one hell of a lot more secure, that's for sure.
>>
>> I suspect, in fact, it would be even less secure. "Ahh, that
>> border's secure - the English are watching it - they're our friends,
>> you know?"
>>
>> Yes, we Americans are a moronically trusting nation.
>
> Given that we now have all the problems listed in the Declaration of
> Independence as justification for throwing off Imperial Rule, we
> might as well toss the Constitution in the dust bin of history and
> reapply to be a Colony. The experiment has failed. We're no more free
> now than we were then.

Amen! I concur, good sir.

a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 11:56:50 AM

On 26 Jul 2005 06:46:21 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Hmmmm, in the UK, are drawers the wooden compartments
> in a dresser, or underpants?

Both.

> Here it can be either, so you either have a really cool platform
> bed, or you toss your soiled undies under the bed. LOL

The former. :)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 1:01:31 PM

Mr K wrote:
> On 26 Jul 2005 06:46:21 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>
>> Hmmmm, in the UK, are drawers the wooden compartments
>> in a dresser, or underpants?
>
> Both.
>
>> Here it can be either, so you either have a really cool platform
>> bed, or you toss your soiled undies under the bed. LOL
>
> The former. :)

Good thing I'm tiny................ ;)

a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2005 4:24:30 PM

Quixote wrote:

> Unlike the cordial treatment these "unlawful combatants" give to their
> hostages. I think its starting to get a little messy in here with all the
> bleeding hearts personally. I would be for treating them like they would
> treat those they capture, chop off their heads.

The problem is, some of these folk are likely yokels picked up off the
street when they ran from US soldiers during a war. Or they might be, if
we ("the world at large") knew who they were. But we don't. We have to
trust folks who'd happily torture people for information, and quite
frankly I don't find them all that trustworthy.

> Don't forget we are dealing
> with people who cannot begin to fathom whatsoever the ideas of justice and
> rights that we share, and don't forget you are nothing to them but a ticket
> to heaven...

Like we have now, a guy who's admitted to shooting someone half a dozen
times, slitting his throat, then sticking a knife in his belly with a
note attached. Then he started taking potshots at police in an effort to
get killed.

He says he doesn't recognize the Dutch legal system. I don't want him to
die, I don't want him to be tortured, as that would make him a martyr
for other radical young folk. I want him to live out the remainder of
his life in a concrete box with the Dutch equivalent of Big Bubbah, and
see him die in disgrace at high age.
--
Frank
!