Intel got Phenom Triple Core locked!!!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
They are beating up AMD, but consider the average person at Best Buy looking for a PC and they think triple sounds cool. They aren't top in performance but a good salesman can sell it to customers. If you told a customer something untrue they aren't going to correct you and when does a salesman tell the truth? I once got ripped off and bought a P4 Gateway there, worst thing ever in power consumption. In the enthusiast sector we probly wouldn't run out to get a Phenom X3, but the uninformed buyer won't know any better. Intel, I'm sure, sold lots of units when AMD was beating them with the X2's, which was my last cpu. Not trying to argue just saying.

Felt like editing a little. :)

It's wiered..being a former best buy employee I tell you that every customer wants the fastest computer, but not the fastest. They don't want to buy crap, but don't want to spend too much. One-shot is right, AMD system in general are easy sells.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

interesting persective - i am not sure i understand "wants the fastest .... not the fastest"

i guess u mean they do not want it after they see the price?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I like the idea of it since I am considering picking up a P45 board. Might be able to take this thing to 3.5ghz or so since the P45's are proving to hit 500+ fsb on air if memory serves me correct.

Best,

3Ball

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think the Q8xxx will bring a whole new ball game in the quad core sector just like the E7200 at the dual core for best bang for buck chip.

so how did you manage to lying to customers without feeling guilty then PsyKhiqZero? thats what i wanna know?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'm no salesman, but I'm used to building my own stuff on a budget. A customer wants the best bang for the buck. They want the fastest they can afford and they don't want to pay out the wazoo for it. They just want a system that is fast, works, does what they want, and will not crash on them. By and large, for the folks on a budget, AMD will fit the bill. In fact, get an AMD processor with a decent video card and 2gb or more of memory, and you have yourself a decent little gamer rig for relatively little money.

I don't thnk I would count on that. Performance will be held back due to the cache and low ass multiplier. For the $200 e8400 is still the way to go.

The marketing departments have everyone convinced that more cores are better. May be ... but only in limited circumstances of parallelism.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
if intel do push quad core into the mainstream then software developer will see an potential in the market then new software will come out the $$.its common sense in business. unless a company is very confident and "sure win" they wont bring something extrodinary out, they will just follow whats "hot" in the market.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

I will most likely still get a Q9450 if anything, but If the proc can take it...the P45 boards can easily hit 500FSB speeds. I have seen people that are getting upwards of 550+ on a P45 board, which is what I am considering. So considering I have 1000mhz memory and the board can take well over 500FSB, which is what it would need for 3.5ghz (7x500mhz). As long as the proc can handle it and there is avid cooling im not sure why it isnt all that likely. Alas, it was just a thought, but I could see plenty of people shooting for something around there with it on these new P45 boards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247612-29-tomshardware

The cache will not limit the OC'ing, but it will lower the performance (though not as much as I believe you are thinking)...still this proc @ 3.5ghz would be quite nice imo! I am faily confident that this could easily hit 3.0 - 3.4ghz on air depending on the setup. I was just through 3.5ghz out there because of my particular situation.

Best,

3Ball

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Triple Core is a highly innovative Technology …Three cores is better than two. AMD still offer Dual Cores within the Budget segment of the market, but Intel’s Budget Dual Cores are inferior. The only half Decent Dual cores from Intel cost a Premium, so That’s where the Triple Core fits into the market.

Have a look at these videos, this reviewer uses similar set-ups…so it’s a fair test and not biased like some other reviews. The Intel Stutters with high definition video, but the AMD triple core manages to produce smoother video because of the extra core:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V741rSx3-5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0Of4PnpQk

Intel are desperate to counter AMD’s innovation with a cheaper Core2Cheeseburgers. AMD has three cores on one Chip…it will never match a full four core phenom but because of it’s advanced design it will not suffer any bandwidth problems.
AMD continues to innovate with groundbreaking technologies and the Tech community have applauded AMD for their efforts.

AMD triple core eats Core2Duo! Phenom 45nm is coming!! 4870 X2 will own NVIDIA!

AMD4Life!!

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
go on thunderman!!! the top trump of AMD fan!!!LOL

so the tricore not a quad core phenom with 1 core disable? i heard it at early review they use phenom and disable 1 core in BIOS to replicate the result of tri-core phenom.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
Those videos are HILARIOUS - you know they were comparing the phenom running the movie at normal speed to the core 2 that was going at twice that speed? (that or in pirates of the carribean 3 they decided to finish in half the time by having the actors speak really fast....)