Why do some people need so much HD space?

ale555666

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Why do some people have computers with like 8 Hard Drives. Why do they need so much memory for?
I'm just curious because I have a 640Gb hard drive and I think that I will never use all that space.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Alot of people use there computers for alot of things. Personally I run my computer as a media server. I have over 3000+ cd quality albums stored, as well as alot of my favorite TV shows etc. Running Media Center my computer acts as a complete DVR, HD quality recording can easily eat up 10 gigs an hour or more. Add in video editing projects with HD video files that can be in the hundreds up gigs and its not hard to use up a 1tb HD in no time. Personally I've got 3.5 TB's worth of storage which seems to be enough for my needs for another year or so hopefully.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Huh?! Because they need that much space for their own purposes and they have the money to do it. This is like asking if why some people have trucks when a car is enough for you. Obviously, you don't have to use a truck just to buy some milk in the store.

Hard drive space in a computer is like closet space in a house. Sooner or later, you are going to run out.

Q9550 - gaming and multimedia - 2.6 TB.
Q6600 - basic workhorse - 820 GB.
E5200 - tinker machine - 820 GB.

I like big closets. :D

Right now, I have 1.6TB, and quite a bit of it is full. I have a lot of games and apps (~300GB), a fairly large amount of music (WMA lossless, around 700-800kbps), TV, and movies (I have no idea how much space it all uses, but it's several hundred gigs), weekly images of my OS/app drive (~500GB), and I'm sure I would use a lot more if I had it.

Powderhorn

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
People asked the same thing about 100MB hard drives. "Who could ever use that much?!" Back then, no audio, no video, and certainly no never-ending increase in the quality of both. It's pretty easy to fill 640GB if you're running a media server; at 8.5GB, you'll hit full at 75 movies if you don't need one of those pesky operating systems. Now, take a Blu-Ray collection and use single-layer for your reference point: 25 movies and you're done. Then, if you want redundancy to save your data if a drive dies, multiply your space needs by up to 2 ...