Quality of recent Motherboards

Smacky311

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I built a system for myself a few months ago and had such a terrible time of it all I parted out my system on Ebay and bought a Mac laptop. I went through 3 ASUS boards and an ABIT board, 2 processors, 6 sticks of RAM, 2 Hard Drives, and 2 power supplies. The only thing original to my old system was the case. With all the parts the same thing happened...my computer would start crashing so I'd run Memtestx86+ and it would fail EVERYTIME. I would build the system, it'd run ok for a few days or a week and pass memtest, but all the sudden everything would crash and burn. Now, I have a custom system with an ASUS board at work and my system will fail Memtestx86+ here too. I found if I turn the system off every 2 days it stays stable and passes Memtestx86+...otherwise...crash and burn. What's the deal? Are hardware manufacturer's pushing out trash lately??

Smacky311

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Note: replacing my ASUS motherboard with the ABIT fixed the issue for about a week (I tried a second ASUS of some model and it also failed immediately). Memtestx86+ bombing just means you have a bad mobo/cpu/RAM it cannot seperate your RAM magically from the rest of the hardware and say you have bad RAM. That's why I said bad mobo's.

akhilles

Splendid
No, you're wrong about one thing: memtest failures don't always mean faulty parts. It can mean incorrect bios settings. If there are 4 sticks of ram, for example, the ram needs more voltage than stock or they will be unstable.

2nd, some ram needs more voltage than others. Mine is at 2.2v. Some at 2.1v. The Kingston at 1.8v.

3rd, even if your pc craps out every time it is on, it doesn't always mean the pc parts. It can be the power source, which I NEVER trust. I'm on a UPS with 60-90 mins of juice. At the very least, use a quality surge suppressor & don't overload it.

Finally, there are lemons. I have gotten one in the past few years. A Seagate harddisk from Dell who paid for return shipping & shipped a new one out to me for free in 1 day. Them! I know where to buy parts with good customer service. I know how to handle parts with care. Still there are times that even I would forget something as simple as a GPU power connection.