K8U-X issues -- reduced performance

DigitalGypsy66

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Greetings.

I've done a couple of searches and haven't found anything with the name of my ASUS motherboard in it.

My MSI K8N-Neo FSR recently died and I purchased an ASUS K8U-X board for a cheap replacement (same RAM, graphics card, etc.)

Rest of my system specs (before I submit this post and forget to add them):
AMD64 3200+ CPU
ULi bios number 0205
1.5 GB Kingston RAM PC3200 DDR 400 (KVR400X64C3A/512 and KVR400X64C3A/1G)
EVGA Nvidia 7800GS 256MB GPU with driver version 6.14.11.7519
Creative X-Fi...but that shouldn't matter

After wrangling with SATA drivers, I managed to get Windows XP loaded and updated. I got all of the essentials loaded and then started loading the good stuff -- games.

With the MSI board, BF2 was a steady 50-60 FPS at medium high settings, with a little dropoff for some of the mods (FH2, POE2). Now I am lucky to get 15-20 FPS, with a clean install of Windows. Also, clicking "show desktop" used to be fairly smooth but now the screen flickers and stutters a little bit -- nothing bad, but not like it used to be.

I think it could be one of two things: bad AGP drivers or perhaps my RAM isn't running at full speed on this motherboard.

First, AGP drivers. I installed what came with the motherboard Uli's integrated drivers. Sound worked, networking worked, VGA seemed to work normally. I later uninstalled the NVIDIA driver (using Drivercleaner in safe mode each time) and installed a newer ULI AGP driver 2.14. Reinstalled the NVIDIA drivers and it wouldn't boot...crash and prompt for safe mode. I uninstalled the ULI driver and NVIDIA driver and reinstalled the NVIDIA driver and that seems to work outside of the 3D games.

Next, I had a sinking feeling my RAM didn't work with this board. The BIOS is stripped down compared to my NVIDIA chipset on my MSI board, but I couldn't seem to find anything where I could change the clock speed of the RAM. The documentation is fairly terrible, too -- let's reprint the same help text that shows up in BIOS in the manual! :lol: Needless to say, I learned how to clear the jumpers and reset CMOS this evening. :D

I ran CPU-Z and found the following: My RAM is showing up with a DRAM frequency of 200 mHz and the SPD tab in CPU-Z says that both sticks have a max bandwidth of PC3200 (200 mHz). Does this mean that the RAM isn't compatible with this motherboard? The 512 stick is listed in the manual as being compatible, but I tried the 1GB stick by itself and got the same numbers in CPU-Z.

Any ideas?

DigitalGypsy66

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
What about disabling Fast-Write in BIOS? I've read anything from it improves performance on older AGP cards to now it doesn't help anything, but may cause video stuttering.