?? *WHICH* 8800 GTS ??

tlbaxter

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hi all,

This is about as noob as it can get. I'm almost embarrassed to even ask. I'm looking to get a GeForce 8800 GTS. At the nVidia site, however, there are seveal manufacturers of this card. Take a look here please.

My guess is that nVidia makes the GPU but other manufacturers actually build the boards around the GPU, is that right? If so, can anyone recommend a particular 8800 GTS? My guess is that they are not all created equal. I was thinking of getting an XFX.

I don't need any games. So, if I can purchase the card without games that would be ideal, as I assume a portion of the cost of the card goes to cover the games.

Thanks very much to all.

pauldh

Illustrious
Nvidia makes the GPU, but a good many of the cards out there are just brand labels and the cards are made by Flextronics or Foxconn. When NVidia first releases a new product often the cards are all made in one or two plants under their guidelines, and then the whole card sent off to the brands for their stickers, box, bundle, etc. Later on that is not always the case. The biggest difference between brands is the support IMO and cooling options. 8800GTS G92 quality is going to be pretty much the same. Warranty reasons, I like evga, XFX best, but I won't spend alot more for them. Priced the same, no bundle perks (freebie games) I like evga.