Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp crashes after overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
February 24, 2009 4:23:09 PM

I have Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard and I try to oveclock my Intel p4 2.93.
After I finish the bios configuration the windows won’t boot up even in safe mode. I put the BIOS on default and the windows boot up with no problems.
What could be the problem?
The cup configurations are
Cpu Intel p4 2.94
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard
Ddr 2 pc 6400 MHz

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2009 5:23:49 PM

Classic bad overclock settings.

Here is a couple of things to get you started.....
This processor is not a great overclocker to start with....now keeping that in mind..
Did you reset your memory divider to keep your memory running at stock speed?
Have you got exceptional cooling? As these processors run hot anyway, so to get much of a stable overclock at all, you need something that keeps the temps under control.
February 24, 2009 6:55:56 PM

Did you read the OCing sticky?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2009 7:02:25 PM

increase voltages and see if the system is stable.
February 24, 2009 7:06:33 PM

alvine said:
increase voltages and see if the system is stable.

I agree... juice that baby up
February 24, 2009 7:08:58 PM

Undo the OC and Windows should work fine!
February 24, 2009 8:58:23 PM

jitpublisher said:
Classic bad overclock settings.

Here is a couple of things to get you started.....
This processor is not a great overclocker to start with....now keeping that in mind..
Did you reset your memory divider to keep your memory running at stock speed?
Have you got exceptional cooling? As these processors run hot anyway, so to get much of a stable overclock at all, you need something that keeps the temps under control.

The multiplayer is locked so it’s stocked on X 22 I changed the FSB to 170 witch camas around 3.8 GHz also I increase the voltage on the v core by 0.5v. The memory manufacturing default speed says is 800 MHz so I try to keep under 400Mhz so the BIOS did not restart alos i increase the ram voltage by 0.10 . I have a good cooling system so keep it cold the current temp is 27-30 normal. But I’m not sure how I suppose to do the divider so that I can keep the stock speed I’m not familiar with this staff so if u can explain me a bit more. But also do I have to change any other settings at the bios so the windows can run ok. thanks
February 24, 2009 9:12:09 PM

wait wait wait wait wait, you went from 2.94 to 3.8 immediatley, and you pushed +.5v through, AND YOUR CPU DIDN'T BLOW!!!!!!!!!!! that is accually quite remarkable i must say.
for now, undo any overclocking and start over if you so wish, but do it at a slower pace, say only +5 Mhz on the FSB at first before you go higher.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2009 10:30:10 PM

^+1. Also change SPD to 2.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2009 11:46:40 PM

Oh-my-good-ness.
Yes, the trick to overclocking is small increments at a time.
Everything in MODERATION and work your way up....no wonder you are having problems! You know, you can fry something pretty fast by just cranking everything up and pressing the start button..........
You realize you are trying to get a 30% increase in speed all at once? Even very experienced overclockers would consider that a huge overclock if they got it that far and stable after hours and hours and hours of testing....and with the processor you have...it would indeed be an accomplishment.
February 25, 2009 5:43:45 PM

so the problem that my windows is crashing can be that i increase fast?
February 25, 2009 6:26:37 PM

not really, just that you don't have a stable overclock. that's why we suggest to oc at a slower pace, that way you can find the highest oc without over volting and thus killing your cpu. also considering if your oc is in fact stable, which i doubt, it could be a memory problem, for which i can only suggest memtest 86+

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

have that run at least 1 pass to make sure there is no memory problems. after all, the memory clock is based off of the FSB and by increasing a FSB by as much as you did, +.1v will not be enough.
February 25, 2009 11:23:19 PM

kruni, it was clear to me from the first post that you have just jumped up with the OC "no limts".

first thing first - what do you want with your PC? If "office", you don't need OC, if gaming - in all honesty, you have a p45 mobo and a P4 :pfff:  , so despite economic crisis my first advise is go buy a C2D or a C2Q. build a more balanced pc. and what's your vga?

second, guys, don't jump on kruni at this time, although he deserves criticism. I can understand if he read abut incredible overclocks with INTELs. hence, the thing he might not have realised is the difference between capacities of different CPUs to overclock. Kruni - here are some examples:
- my (allendale) C2D e4300, has a stock speed of 1,8GHz and it OCs very easliy and very high and temps are just a few degrees higher, although the temps are high as such, probably as hot as a P4. Very easy overclocker, no voltage addition.
- my old (sckt478) p4@2,8ghz is basically a typewriter now - I OC'd it from 2,8 to 3Ghz and can go higher without voltage increase, but didn't need to and heat is a bit of a concern with this one, as well as its one core efficiency.

So keep in mind there are spectacular results, but there is also difference between the CPUs, but the approach is the same - daft is right, only +5FSB increase for starters, then test.

Now, if you didn't, install CPU-Z to check your processor OC and Memory information (frequency, timings) and other temperature monitoring software. Read their data before you OC. In CPU-Z read the first page and then Memory tab, write them down.

Finally, I guess I shouldn't ask you if you have done the previous OC through BIOS, that's right, isn't it? Get BIOS to initial settings, clear CMOS. That'll bring you back to 2,94GHz. Now, you already know that CTRL+F1 will unlock all the features in Gigabyte BIOS.

Anyway, I'll repeat - enter in BIOS the MB Intelligent Tweaker:

a) Now shadow7037 is right about memory (kruni how much ram do you have, just out of curiosity?) - anyway, kruni, Memory frequency will also go up when you OC your processor - raising the FSB will raise the memory speed as well - so from the very start see what memory frequency you have at the beginning of OC (I guess 800). now enter the System Memory Multiplier on the MB IT of BIOS and change it so that you have a lower memory frequency. as soon as you apply (press enter) a lower multiplier the BIOS will show you the future speed of your memory (on the same MBI page), just be sure its lower than 800.

b) Enable CPU Host Clock Control. In CPU Host Frequency type 138, press Enter.

c) Now boot, you should have 3.036Ghz without any voltage increase. Now install and run Orthos or OCCT. See if it works without overheating and failures. Report back.

----------------
I suggested you to upgrade if you want gaming - just to give you an idea of how good the new processors are OCing. The C2D allendales, conroes [series e2xxx, e4xxx, e6xxx] or even better - newer C2D wolfdales [series e5xxx, e7xxx and e8xxx] - OC like hell. My older allendale e4300 went up from 1,8GHz to 2,88GHz without raising the voltage, just adjusting the memory multiplier. That's 60% overclock so that's why kruni may have been expecting soemthing not less spectacular, guys. Temperature is a few degrees higher than at stock. however, allendales are hot, basically as hot as a pentium4. Wolfdales seem to be much better. Kruni, even with such a remarkable overclockability I did not dare to push my e4300 to 2,4GHz at once - instead I first increased to 2GHz and then tested, 2,2GHz tested, etc.
February 26, 2009 3:29:28 AM

^+12
February 26, 2009 8:41:50 PM

Ok i tray to do everything i rise my Fsb up to 159 after going over even if the memory is below 400mhz the windows can’t run ? Also i run the 3d mark test and everything seems to be ok, but if I go over 159 the win can’t boot?
March 2, 2009 5:58:13 PM

kruni said:
Ok i tray to do everything i rise my Fsb up to 159 after going over even if the memory is below 400mhz the windows can’t run ? Also i run the 3d mark test and everything seems to be ok, but if I go over 159 the win can’t boot?

Kruni, sorry for late reply. I think it would have been quicker if you give us some feedback. I actually suggested you to report back after you reached a stable OC.

Speed of 3.498GHz is very good, and as far as i Understand it is stable under Orthos and OCCT. What are the temps? What is the DDR2 speed - PLEASE see CPU-Z, tab Memory and report back.

Also could you please provide some more info on memory - what kind of memory you have, precisely? Name, quantity, how many sticks, and if you have the data - manufacturer rated voltage. Please see CPU-Z tab SPD or Everest should be able to tell you most of this info.

Although it might not be the memory, I am asking for a good reason, you don't want to fry it, I am sure.

After that we'll determine if there is need to raise the Vcore, Vdimm or other voltages, or not.

Cheers. BTW, one again, 3,5GHz is fine!
!