Sign in with
Your question

HELP with CPU-Z wrong cpu speed, bad timing!

Last response: in Memory
July 14, 2008 3:24:44 AM

Hi I have a DELL XPS 400 with a Pentium D 3.4 gHz cpu and 800 FSB. I recently upgraded my ram to the OCZ PC2-6400 (800mhz). It advertised timings like 2-3-3-2 or something.

Now when I open up CPUZ -- This is what I see:

Notice how my CPU core speed is 2400mhz whereas I have a 3.4 ghz CPU!

And why are my timings so BAD 5 - 5- 5 - 13!?

What ram should I get for my computer to ensure STOCK speeds and FAST timing??

I can't overclock my computer -- its not a xps 700.
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2008 3:43:23 AM

Your CPU is using Intel's Speedstep to slow itself down when not under load. Run an intensive, non-full screen application and you'll see it jump straight up to 3.4GHz and a 17x multiplier. It is purely for energy savings (which with a PD is rather important :lol: ).

As for your RAM, if you can find some DDR2 that can do 2-3-3-2 timings under $4000 you are doing well. What is in the SPD tab is what is being read from the chip on the RAM that determines what are the officially supported settings.
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2008 3:43:34 AM

Can't help you with the memory. but you should check you bios and disable any cpu throttling options. I don't know if the pentium D had speed step or not I think with the pentium D it's eist. Or run prime 95 in the background while cpu-z does a check. Some CPUs intentionally slow down to save power when they're not doing much.
Related resources
July 14, 2008 3:50:32 AM

Hmmm, so wouldn't a 1:1 ratio be best for the FSB: DRAM ratio? What type of ram would I have to get to acheive this ratio?
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2008 3:55:44 AM

PsyKhiqZero said:
Can't help you with the memory. but you should check you bios and disable any cpu throttling options. I don't know if the pentium D had speed step or not I think with the pentium D it's eist. Or run prime 95 in the background while cpu-z does a check. Some CPUs intentionally slow down to save power when they're not doing much.

Disabling power-saving features is pointless (except ATI's Powerplay since it's a bitt buggy) since they do not impact performance at all, as long as they ramp up CPU speed when required. Also EIST = Enhanced Intel Speed Step; they are the same thing ;) 
July 14, 2008 3:56:37 AM

If you disable the throttle, the ram you have should already be able to achieve 1:1
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2008 3:56:44 AM

sandeep85 said:
Hmmm, so wouldn't a 1:1 ratio be best for the FSB: DRAM ratio? What type of ram would I have to get to acheive this ratio?

Any RAM with speeds equal to or greater than DDR2-533, which you already have.
July 14, 2008 8:57:56 AM

san -
1) Since your RAM is almost certainly running in dual-channel mode, all you need is to run it at DDR2-400 speed to match the FSB throughput.
2) Your RAM is currently running at DDR2-667 (according to CPU-Z); the reason for the slow timings in the SPD is that you were taken in by the misleading marketing produced by most memory companies today. You bought DDR2-800 RAM rated at 5-5-5-15 that can only achieve the faster spec timings by being overclocked, with the DIMM voltage raised above the 1.8V DDR2 standard. This is a factory-sanctioned overclock. See here for more info: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/200599-30-memory-nooo...
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2008 9:10:25 AM

Mondoman said:
san -
1) Since your RAM is almost certainly running in dual-channel mode, all you need is to run it at DDR2-400 speed to match the FSB throughput.

Whether or not it is any faster is the question. With a 266MHz FSB, DDR2-533 is faster than DDR2-667, but DDR2-800 is faster than DDR2-533. He'd need to experiment, but in the end he'd only really see differences with synthetics or possibly WinRAR.
July 14, 2008 9:48:52 AM

EIST = Enhanced Intel Speed Step ? Shouldn't it be EISS?
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2008 11:25:48 AM

pcgamer12 said:
EIST = Enhanced Intel Speed Step ? Shouldn't it be EISS?

My bad, it's actually Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology; and when something has "technology" in the name, you know it's something cool and amazing that you simply can't live without.
!