HELP with CPU-Z wrong cpu speed, bad timing!

Hi I have a DELL XPS 400 with a Pentium D 3.4 gHz cpu and 800 FSB. I recently upgraded my ram to the OCZ PC2-6400 (800mhz). It advertised timings like 2-3-3-2 or something.

Now when I open up CPUZ -- This is what I see:

Notice how my CPU core speed is 2400mhz whereas I have a 3.4 ghz CPU!

And why are my timings so BAD 5 - 5- 5 - 13!?

What ram should I get for my computer to ensure STOCK speeds and FAST timing??

I can't overclock my computer -- its not a xps 700.
10 answers Last reply
More about help wrong speed timing
  1. Your CPU is using Intel's Speedstep to slow itself down when not under load. Run an intensive, non-full screen application and you'll see it jump straight up to 3.4GHz and a 17x multiplier. It is purely for energy savings (which with a PD is rather important :lol:).

As for your RAM, if you can find some DDR2 that can do 2-3-3-2 timings under $4000 you are doing well. What is in the SPD tab is what is being read from the chip on the RAM that determines what are the officially supported settings.
  2. Can't help you with the memory. but you should check you bios and disable any cpu throttling options. I don't know if the pentium D had speed step or not I think with the pentium D it's eist. Or run prime 95 in the background while cpu-z does a check. Some CPUs intentionally slow down to save power when they're not doing much.
  3. Hmmm, so wouldn't a 1:1 ratio be best for the FSB: DRAM ratio? What type of ram would I have to get to acheive this ratio?
  4. PsyKhiqZero said:
    Can't help you with the memory. but you should check you bios and disable any cpu throttling options. I don't know if the pentium D had speed step or not I think with the pentium D it's eist. Or run prime 95 in the background while cpu-z does a check. Some CPUs intentionally slow down to save power when they're not doing much.

Disabling power-saving features is pointless (except ATI's Powerplay since it's a bitt buggy) since they do not impact performance at all, as long as they ramp up CPU speed when required. Also EIST = Enhanced Intel Speed Step; they are the same thing ;)
  5. If you disable the throttle, the ram you have should already be able to achieve 1:1
  6. sandeep85 said:
    Hmmm, so wouldn't a 1:1 ratio be best for the FSB: DRAM ratio? What type of ram would I have to get to acheive this ratio?

Any RAM with speeds equal to or greater than DDR2-533, which you already have.
  7. san -
    1) Since your RAM is almost certainly running in dual-channel mode, all you need is to run it at DDR2-400 speed to match the FSB throughput.
    2) Your RAM is currently running at DDR2-667 (according to CPU-Z); the reason for the slow timings in the SPD is that you were taken in by the misleading marketing produced by most memory companies today. You bought DDR2-800 RAM rated at 5-5-5-15 that can only achieve the faster spec timings by being overclocked, with the DIMM voltage raised above the 1.8V DDR2 standard. This is a factory-sanctioned overclock. See here for more info: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/200599-30-memory-nooob-aarrggghh-timings#t1249881
  8. Mondoman said:
    san -
    1) Since your RAM is almost certainly running in dual-channel mode, all you need is to run it at DDR2-400 speed to match the FSB throughput.

Whether or not it is any faster is the question. With a 266MHz FSB, DDR2-533 is faster than DDR2-667, but DDR2-800 is faster than DDR2-533. He'd need to experiment, but in the end he'd only really see differences with synthetics or possibly WinRAR.
  9. EIST = Enhanced Intel Speed Step ? Shouldn't it be EISS?
  10. pcgamer12 said:
    EIST = Enhanced Intel Speed Step ? Shouldn't it be EISS?

My bad, it's actually Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology; and when something has "technology" in the name, you know it's something cool and amazing that you simply can't live without.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Dell Studio Xps RAM CPUs