Why does ASUS download web site suck so bad?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Select United States from the www.asus.com and the select Download (top) and nothing, get a page that never really loads with anything??

I thinks has been going on for days and days and days....??

I love ASUS products, but why does their web site suck so bad??

randomizer

Champion
Huh?

asus_website1.jpg

helios2052

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I agree, I cringe whenever I have to download drivers off their site for my motherboard. Its usually a 30 minute project....

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel, AMD, nVidia does NOT provide ASUS motherboard BIOS updates.

Why does ASUS provide a "Global" location selection if all the servers are still located in Asia? Seriously doubt US market is so small that it isn't worth investing in some server space on this side of the pond.

I can get to the download page, but select BIOS or any other driver listed and it's 50/50 chance of success. Most of the time I get "server too busy" or just the "web page not found".

This has been going on for as long as I've used ASUS motherboard (many many many years).

it no worky, me not problem -- BTW it's either DSL or Cable not both -- quick speed test reports 9689 Kbps download and 1455 Kbps upload -- me think the problem is with ASUSy.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Lol, made for IE? You mean the site is made to infect your computer with malware? :na:

Asus use all Asian servers to save hosting cost. English site address tracks to US, is reasonably fast, and browser optimization don't apply to downloads.

randomizer

Champion

Did I say they do? The guy said "drivers", which I don't usually equate with "BIOS updates".

Why not? It's got to go somewhere, Asia is as good a place as any. I'm quite happy to not have to download from slow US servers for once.

They made it for the browser most people use. I have never had any issues with IE, I use firefox(i like the features, but on some pages IE has smoother scrolling. Pages with the property BGproperties=fixed[I think thats the on, have not done HTML in years] for example), but IE is not gonna kill your computer, being an idiot with IE will, but that idiot will kill it with FF as well.

When you click a link(Bios,Manual, ect and even the selection options) in IE there is actually a loading image instead of a full page refresh. This may work better for some, if i remember right the old firefox did not work at all until asus changed the code(and add that refresh). I did use IE for Asus in the past.

asusyv5.gif

No refresh, just loading then next. This site may work better in IE, just a fact

Why does ASUS provide a "Global" location selection if all the servers are still located in Asia?
I Think it is for language selection.
Many sites do it.

As the worlds internet gets faster this will not be a problem. 10 Megabit or what ever speed is only what your ISP gives you, your packets go through several if not hundreds of providers to get where its going when you cross the world, If you have to cross one bad router or low speed ISP your speeds and latency per packet will get cut. I have seen entire websites disappear from a bad router in the network outside of my ISP, so there is not much i can do but proxy on to get another path. A server is in the USA or Canada would be an extra cost they do not want to pay for.

If you can not get a file, PM me and i will rapid share it for you. at least for now asus works(have no had issues with it in years other then slow downloads).

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why not provide both? I would image the US market is certainly large enough to justify the support. Especially considering the cost of ASUS motherboards -- this P5E3 board was almost $400. But it is a seriously nice board now that I got the 505 BIOS in it and figured out overclock settings to match my RAM.

swabio

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I agree with the OP, the ASUS servers are a joke! Regardless of where they are located! I have been attempting to download updates for my asus laptop for three days! :sleep: :sleep: It is ridiculously slow, only a 150 odd MB, yet it is painfully slow! I have not experienced such pathetic server speed since the days of dial up! :fou: :fou:

Their products and warranty service are sensational it is a pity that they refuse to invest in decent download servers in global locations!

G

I know this thread is a little old, but has anyone else been annoyed by the fact that ASUS has decided to start posting their drivers in only .rar format (and foregoing .zip altogether). I think they must have a "B design team" - which exists solely for the purpose of thinking of ways to make the asus site even crappier and slower. (It must be so, because they appear to have a similar team working on their hardware for the past year or two too!) :fou:

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
The reason it's so slow is the support division is utilizing a dial up modem as the main server is overloaded with the employees using voip to call home.

G

I download video from photobucket.com by means of service takeyoutube.com