New Machine-Ordering Friday-Last Minute Doublecheck

Hey all. I'm finally building a new computer for myself after about 7 years. My Barton has served me well, but its time to retire the old girl for something bigger and better. I was planning on going with the TH's $500 rig, but managed to get a little more money for the budget so I'm upgrading a few of the pieces. Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Case and PSU: Antec NSK4480B w/Antec Earthwatts 380 watt PSU (already purchased for $65 from buy.com)

Mobo: Gigabye GA-EP35-DS3L - Its the newer version with the Dynamic Energy Saver - $90

CPU: Intel E7200 Core 2 Duo - Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache - $135 - overclocks like a champ

RAM: 2 GB (2x1 GB) G.Skill DDR2 800 - $45

GPU: XFX 8800GT - $179 - Includes Company of Heroes

HD: Seagate 7200.10 250GB - $59 - Plenty of space for my needs

HSF: Xigmatek HDT-S963 - $31 (after shipping) - I wanted the 1283, but it won't fit in my case, I'm hoping this one will.

Total cost of box: $604.00

Already have a copy of windows xp, mouse, keyboard...I have this nagging voice in the back of my head telling me I'm missing something but I don't know what. I'm gonna be using my old CRT for a few more weeks and then ordering a 19" Acer widescreen monitor. Once everything is up and running, I'll post some benchmarks pre and post overclock (if successful) for anyone interested. I know its going to crush my old system, I'm just anxious to see how hard.
9 answers Last reply
More about machine ordering friday last minute doublecheck
  1. Only thing I see is no optical drive. But your more than likely going to reuse that. Enjoy.
  2. Just a word of advice here, I don't know if it's the case with all XFX 8800 GT but mine is the alpha dog edition and it's loud as hell, clearly hear it over my 5 fans setup in my Antec 900. BTW company of heroes is a pretty good game IMHO.
  3. rochin said:
    Only thing I see is no optical drive. But your more than likely going to reuse that. Enjoy.

Ha, yep, that's what it was. Thanks, now I can sleep easy tonight. :wahoo:
  4. fatcat said:
    Just a word of advice here, I don't know if it's the case with all XFX 8800 GT but mine is the alpha dog edition and it's loud as hell, clearly hear it over my 5 fans setup in my Antec 900. BTW company of heroes is a pretty good game IMHO.

I was reading about that and apparently some of the early ones didn't have a variable speed fan so it ran 100% all the time. I'm gonna take my chances and hope I get a newer one.
  5. Should be good. I used the PSU calculator. Using an 8200 (yours wasn't there) OC'ed to 3.2GHz, it still showed <300W.
  6. Onus said:
    Should be good. I used the PSU calculator. Using an 8200 (yours wasn't there) OC'ed to 3.2GHz, it still showed <300W.

Thanks. I figured I'd be ok. That's PSU is actually build by Seasonic so I know its quality. Appreciate the double check regardless though.
  7. Looks good here.

When you get everything up and going come back and let everyone know how it all works. OC etc.
  8. Looks like a nice balanced system with a low price tag. Will be nice to hear how well it performs.
  9. Update: Got the mobo, cpu, and cooler in today. Everything went together smooth as silk. Hopefully the rest of the components show up in the next day or 2. Also, I wound up going with the Gigabyte 8800gt with the Zalman cooler on it. It comes a little factory oc'ed and came with NWN2, which I was actually planning on buying. Can't wait to get everything up and running. Benchmarks soon!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems