PC Powers up. No beeps No Signal

mike091

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Hello been readin Toms hardware for years, but now i have a problem

Machine has been built for over 6 months, but recently while machine was just sitting, and not in use. Mouse, heyboard, speakers were all Unplugged, and the Monitor cable to video card was pulled unplugged by an angry girlfreind

note:when building machine video card was seated fine, and worked but LAZILY, and i know this is bad, i didnt screw it in, i just left it in the pci e slot and connected to monitor.

now when all the cables were unplugged, i plugged back in, and i received "no source, check connection" on moinitor. so i reboot, and same problem. I open case, check cables some were lose, i seated them back in, same problem. tried two different video cards in EACH of my 2 PCI-e slots, and i still cant get a beep or display

all my fans spins, and lights work. im thinking video card and processor still works, definitely leaning toward some cables not being secure, but seeking advice

amd athlon x2 5200
4gig corshair ddr2 pc6800
1x sata HDD
1x sata dvd-rw
600w power supply
8800 gts :bounce:

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I'd say, replace the DVI, or VGA cable that connects to your monitor when she yanked the cable she could have damaged it. just my .02$ (cheapest solution)

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Aight, the first thing I'd do is simply flush the power out of the board and psu. Just unplug it and hit the power button on the front of your comp a couple of times to flush out all the power. Plug it back up and power it on. If it still doesn't work then try to pull the RAM. If you definitely get no beeps from having no RAM, I'd lean toward your CPU or MOBO.

If I'm right and your lucky, it'll be only your CPU. I'd definitely find a friend with compatible parts to test your computer. Having a video card pulled out in the middle of operation can really f*ck some sh*t up. I'd say that the only component I wouldn't worry about right now is your PSU and periphreals. Your board, RAM, CPU, and any cards that were plugged in could have been affected. If you get no beep codes from having no RAM, I'd say it's your CPU, otherwise I'd test all your components on a friend's board.

Of course you can try this after you try IH8U's suggestion, but I doubt it's the cable.

***Actually, I wanna retract my initial statement. The first thing you want/need to do is beat your girlfriend's @ss and put her back in her place, and I mean really bring the hammer down on her @ss too. Then try the things I mentioned after testing your DVI cable.

Arson94