Some watercooling questions

ilikestuff

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Hello everyone. Could someone please help me with this?

Does anyone know of the exact water flow path in the MCR220-QP Res or MCR320-QP Res? I am wondering how the water flows through the res and back into the rad.

Wouldn't there be a loss of pressure with the water flowing through the res halfway through the rad? (if this is how the water does flow) I have heard others say this also.

I am interested in the cooling and water pressure difference between the res and non res models.

I am trying to decide on whether to get a res or a non res model with a separate res.

The res model with the inlet and outlet on the bottom would be an easier installation for my case. Does anyone have any experience mounting the non res model upside down? The swiftech site ways it is not recommended to mount upside down due to air bubble formation. Wouldn't bubbles just go to the top point anyway and if I had a higher point I wouldn;t have to worry?

Also, swiftech says that you can mount the res model upside down with a "non-functional" res. Does that mean if the res is plugged? If so how would that be diferent than the non res model?

Does a res lower water pressure/flow rate? Does a t-line?

Also does anyone know of a device for measuring flow rate and water pressure in a watercooling system? Also recommendations for water temp sensors?

I am a first time watercooler but I have done a lot of research on this topic. Thanks for your help!

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
It goes in the rad and back out. It has good low resriction, a well rated rad. It's almost as good as much more expensive low speed fan rads. Who cares what happens, if it's a single or double or even triple pass rad.

The res is nothing but a cap on one side of the res as a fill point. Nothing else is different.

The res rad is great if the res hole is at the top to bleed off the air trapped in the loop, easy access to the fill hole is a requirement and it needs to be at the top of the rad in it's placement in your setup. Otherwise, you take the cap off, you have a big puddle. A res has to have the hole at the vertical top, but not at the top of a loop. It' has to have air at the point the fill cap is.

Some are working out adding a fill tube to the res fill hole, much like a T line. Kinda defeats the purpose of a rad with a res eh?

The res plug WILL be non-functional with the barbs Above the res fill hole, common sense comes into play. The bubbles need to collect where the fill point is, otherwise there is NO space to add water to dosplace the air in the loop. Can't add water to water.

Peeps have said with a really high flow pump they have to fill the res to max to get the loop to bleed, if it drops just a bit air gets sucked into the rad tubes and the res isn't doing it's work. But once it's bled out it's fine.

Depending on your setup it might be a good rad to get. The Microres V2 is a very popular option and works fine.

A T-line has ridges where it links to tubing and causes some turbulence, reducing flow rat a tiny bit.. You can actually measure this by using Martins Flowrate excel spreadsheet and plug in many thngs, including 90 fittings, some common rads, pumps, hose size lentght.

I'm sure you have seen it since you have done your research and just missed it.

Flow rate sensors and temp sensors are expensive, restict flow and a waste. It's all about your CPU and GPU etc temps. If they are fine the water loop is fine.