Question about photos and PC output on a Panasonic plasma ..

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 21, 2005 3:10:09 PM

I am looking at the specs of a 42 in plasma Panasonic HDTV, model
TH-42PX500U. This TV has a native resolution of 1024 x768, and has SD
and PCMCIA card slots, and RGB-VGA PC input. I would appreciate an
comments on how well it will display photos using the SD card slot,
and PC images using the RGB-VGA input.

Can anyone tell me if high resolution jpeg images (e.g.: 3008 x 1996)
will be displayed at high resolution on the TV? I would like to show
really high quality photo images on an HDTV - will this Panasonic do
that?

Also, will 1024 x768 video output from a PC display at that
resolution on the TV?

If anyone has experience with this HDTV, or can give me some advice on
these questions, I would appreciate it. Any other comments on this
model would also be helpful.

Richard
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 9:27:14 PM

Presumably the materials contained on the media cards should be able to have
a reasonable good quality diasplay on the screen. Normally, the higher
resolution the photos are recorded in will produce higher quality displays
on the screen.
"Richard S" <richard-no-spam@rhspencer.com> wrote in message
>I am looking at the specs of a 42 in plasma Panasonic HDTV, model
> TH-42PX500U. This TV has a native resolution of 1024 x768, and has SD
> and PCMCIA card slots, and RGB-VGA PC input. I would appreciate an
> comments on how well it will display photos using the SD card slot,
> and PC images using the RGB-VGA input.
>
> Can anyone tell me if high resolution jpeg images (e.g.: 3008 x 1996)
> will be displayed at high resolution on the TV? I would like to show
> really high quality photo images on an HDTV - will this Panasonic do
> that?
>
> Also, will 1024 x768 video output from a PC display at that
> resolution on the TV?
>
> If anyone has experience with this HDTV, or can give me some advice on
> these questions, I would appreciate it. Any other comments on this
> model would also be helpful.
>
> Richard
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 6:36:59 PM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:10:09 -0700, Richard S wrote:

> I am looking at the specs of a 42 in plasma Panasonic HDTV, model
> TH-42PX500U. This TV has a native resolution of 1024 x768, and has SD
> and PCMCIA card slots, and RGB-VGA PC input. I would appreciate an
> comments on how well it will display photos using the SD card slot,
> and PC images using the RGB-VGA input.
>
> Can anyone tell me if high resolution jpeg images (e.g.: 3008 x 1996)
> will be displayed at high resolution on the TV?

Look here for the manual: http://tinyurl.com/dgq7c

The maximum image size is 2560x1920. They will be displayed at 1024x768.

> I would like to show
> really high quality photo images on an HDTV - will this Panasonic do
> that?

They will look good but you may want to scale them down first to speed up

> Also, will 1024 x768 video output from a PC display at that
> resolution on the TV?

Yes.

> If anyone has experience with this HDTV, or can give me some advice on
> these questions, I would appreciate it. Any other comments on this
> model would also be helpful.
>
> Richard

Looks like a very nice TV.

Brad H
August 23, 2005 9:20:16 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:36:59 -0700, Brad Houser
<bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:10:09 -0700, Richard S wrote:
>
>> I am looking at the specs of a 42 in plasma Panasonic HDTV, model
>> TH-42PX500U. This TV has a native resolution of 1024 x768, and has SD
>> and PCMCIA card slots, and RGB-VGA PC input. I would appreciate an
>> comments on how well it will display photos using the SD card slot,
>> and PC images using the RGB-VGA input.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if high resolution jpeg images (e.g.: 3008 x 1996)
>> will be displayed at high resolution on the TV?
>
>Look here for the manual: http://tinyurl.com/dgq7c
>
>The maximum image size is 2560x1920. They will be displayed at 1024x768.

Check that it handles pictures with different format to your liking
when the picture format is other than 16:9.
The pixels are rectangular, so with a 4:3 input of 2560x1920, it
should display over a 4:3 area on the panel which would use something
like 768x768 pixel.

>> I would like to show
>> really high quality photo images on an HDTV - will this Panasonic do
>> that?
>>

>They will look good but you may want to scale them down first to speed up
>
>> Also, will 1024 x768 video output from a PC display at that
>> resolution on the TV?
>>

>Yes.

See above. The standard output from a PC use quadratic pixels so that
1024x768 is in 4:3 format. The panel can not show the same picture as
a PC monitor with the same resolution. Either format or resolution has
to change.

>> If anyone has experience with this HDTV, or can give me some advice on
>> these questions, I would appreciate it. Any other comments on this
>> model would also be helpful.

I use an LCD-TV (1280x768 pixel) to display photos from a standard PC
using standard 1024x768 4:3 VGA connection. Works rather good.
(This particular LCD-TV is of 15:9 format but 1024x768 4:3 format
works. A panel with 1366x768 in 16:9 format should also be able to
show a 4:3 picture over 1024x768 pixel.)

In my case the camera has somewhat higher resolution so the PC
slideshow program scales it to the PC resolution. Different slideshow
programs handles edited/cropped pictures differently. This is why I
think you should test how the TV handles such pictures if input from
the memory slot reader if this is important to you.
/Jan
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:07:55 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:20:16 GMT, nospam@nospam.se (Jan B) wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:36:59 -0700, Brad Houser
><bradDOThouser@intel.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 11:10:09 -0700, Richard S wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking at the specs of a 42 in plasma Panasonic HDTV, model
>>> TH-42PX500U. This TV has a native resolution of 1024 x768, and has SD
>>> and PCMCIA card slots, and RGB-VGA PC input. I would appreciate an
>>> comments on how well it will display photos using the SD card slot,
>>> and PC images using the RGB-VGA input.
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me if high resolution jpeg images (e.g.: 3008 x 1996)
>>> will be displayed at high resolution on the TV?
>>
>>Look here for the manual: http://tinyurl.com/dgq7c
>>
>>The maximum image size is 2560x1920. They will be displayed at 1024x768.
>
>Check that it handles pictures with different format to your liking
>when the picture format is other than 16:9.
>The pixels are rectangular, so with a 4:3 input of 2560x1920, it
>should display over a 4:3 area on the panel which would use something
>like 768x768 pixel.
>

>>> I would like to show
>>> really high quality photo images on an HDTV - will this Panasonic do
>>> that?
>>>

>>They will look good but you may want to scale them down first to speed up
>>
>>> Also, will 1024 x768 video output from a PC display at that
>>> resolution on the TV?
>>>

>>Yes.
>
>See above. The standard output from a PC use quadratic pixels so that
>1024x768 is in 4:3 format. The panel can not show the same picture as
>a PC monitor with the same resolution. Either format or resolution has
>to change.
>
>>> If anyone has experience with this HDTV, or can give me some advice on
>>> these questions, I would appreciate it. Any other comments on this
>>> model would also be helpful.
>
>I use an LCD-TV (1280x768 pixel) to display photos from a standard PC
>using standard 1024x768 4:3 VGA connection. Works rather good.
> (This particular LCD-TV is of 15:9 format but 1024x768 4:3 format
>works. A panel with 1366x768 in 16:9 format should also be able to
>show a 4:3 picture over 1024x768 pixel.)
>
>In my case the camera has somewhat higher resolution so the PC
>slideshow program scales it to the PC resolution. Different slideshow
>programs handles edited/cropped pictures differently. This is why I
>think you should test how the TV handles such pictures if input from
>the memory slot reader if this is important to you.
>/Jan

Thanks for the feedback. I bought a 64MB SD card and put some photos
on it so I could try the Photo Viewer feature on the Panasonic
TH-42PX500 (not the TH-42PX500U, as I thought, but a stripped down
Canadian version. I believe the Photo Viewer feature is the same
though).

Some of the images were 2560 x 1699 pixels with a 3:2 aspect ratio,
close to the maximum size allowed (2560 x 1920 pixels). Some were a
bit smaller (2272 x 1704 pixels with a 4:3 aspect ratio).

The TV found both sizes/aspect ratios of jpeg image on the SD card
without any problems, and displayed thumbnails, which I could scroll
through using the remote.

The images displayed with the correct aspect ratio, and no visible
distortion. Color accuracy was good compared to a calibrated laptop
lcd monitor, and sharpness was excellent. The overall image quality
was far superior to anything I have been able to achieve showing jpegs
on a regular TV.

However, the displayed images only used about 80% of the plasma screen
area, with gray bars above, below and on each side of the image. The
size of these gray bars varied depending on the aspect ratio of jpeg
images, but otherwise was not affected by the number of pixels. I had
hoped the images would use the full height of the plasma display, with
bars on either side.

The images were quite slow to load, and in slide show mode the
transition between one slide and the next took several seconds, too
long for an acceptable slide show, in my opinion.

My feeling is that the Picture View feature is OK for taking a quick
look at photos from a camera that uses an SD card and has a sensor
smaller than 5 megapixels. It is not good enough to show a collection
of photos to an audience. I will probably try a Roku Picture Bridge
for this.

Thanks again for the feeback and advice.
!