XP and ATI drivers can't identify graphics card

Harfeg

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Hi all

(BTW this post is shamelessly copied from my other post further down the page, it wouldn't allow me to edit that one)

I bought a Dell Inspirion 1501 off a friend some months back. I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows as soon as I got home (it being a dell that had been used as delivered, bloat and all, for 4 years, 2 of which without virus protection).

That was obviously a mistake, Now the video driver is very primitive. I can only use the screen in 1024 x 768 at the moment and I know it can do 1280 x 860 (I think it is using xp's default driver). Windows has absolutely no clue as to what the card is so I can't update the driver using device manager or dxdiag.
After some research I am fairly sure the card is an ATI Xpress 1150 (intergrated) so I downloaded the drivers directly. 76MB and an error message later (see below), I have come to the conclusion that it was a driver package that relied on knowing what the card is so that it could install the correct driver from its library.

The error message:
Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make sure you have the required hardware or software

I was reling on the driver identifying the card to windows, not the other way round. :pfff:

What can I do? Is there another way I can get the card to output the proper resolution? Absolutely any ideas welcome. :(

Harfeg

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Sorry to get back so late, I've not had time to follow these prompt replies up.

I tried GPUZ but it didn't know what the card was either.
All the fields were blank apart from the occasional "MHz" by itself.

I am now sure the card is an Xpress 1150 (which is under the intergrated graphics section in the drop down list btw). The driver it proposed I download was the same one I tried before.

Thanks for the ideas, got any more?

You must take the notice at the AMD site seriously. They tell you that you can only get those drivers from the manufacturer. This of course means when Dell quits supporting that video system, there will be no more "latest" drivers available to you. These "highly reputable" companies need info like this added to their reputation.

Harfeg

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I don't even mind if they stop updating drivers, just so long as the old ones are accessible. A little flexibility in the installation process (i.e I can select which driver I want) would solve the whole problem.
I actually find it quite funny (in a tragic sort of way) that each manufacturer tells you to go the other for what you need.

If your link does indeed supply the needed driver, you would certainly be entitled to a "Best Answer" award, seeing this problem has been here before. There's just one, little-tiny, problem... This is a discussion type topic. The best you can get are votes, good or bad. Sorry, there is no best answer award for this type of topic, but I'll give you a +vote if OP comes back and says it worked. [:tigsounds]

Harfeg

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
KingArcher gets a gold star and the academy award for best "Best Answer".

I feel like a right idiot but in my defence I am sure I had tried that driver before, I even recognised the driver's serial number I've done it so many times.
No matter, it installed and that's what counts.

Thanks very much for all your help and hurrah for 20% more pixels :D