Overclocking HELP

CrossStealth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Ive had a few posts here and I really cant seem to grasp the concept of Overclocking. Ive written down my bios settings in hope that someone could help me out.

In my bios the settings ive found are:

NB PCIE Frequency (set from 100-131)

VCore Voltage
Ht Voltage
NB chipset Voltage
SB Chipset Voltage

FSB - Memory Clock Mode (Auto - Linked or Unlinked)

Auto = no settings

Linked =
FSB Memory Ratio (Auto - 1:1 5:4 3:2 or Sync Mode)
FSB (QDR) (533-3000)

Unlinked =
533-3000
Mem (DDR) (400-2600)

So I guess these are the only settings or should there be something I missed?

if not what do you suggest I set to what? This is my 24/7 pc built for gaming/surfing the web and everyday things as well. id like to get the highest possible speed thats safe.

Any direction would be great!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Arj4iu6e2mP0NxwozB8XSBTsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20090215222022AAQbJfA
this has it all

THANKS!!

I just have no idea where to start

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
start by just increasing your FSB. What is it at now?

Have the FSB - Memory Clock Mode set to linked and run your memory in a 1:1 ratio. This will give the memory the same speed as your CPU. (although make sue that this doesn't bounce it over the max speed of your RAM)

Run a torture test using Prime95 or Orthos and see what happens.

Unfortunately with your 750i motherboard you are going to have a very difficult time getting a stable overclock.
A good place to start would be in the Core 2 Overclocking Sticky.
It is a very useful guide to overclocking and you should read it fully before you start.

A quick cheat guide for you:

1) Manually set your RAM to either a 1:1 ratio (linked) or 400Mhz (unlinked) and manually set the timings
2) Manually set the VCore Voltage to 1.35v for a start
3) Raise the FSB upwards from 333Mhz testing for stability every 10-15Mhz (see step 5)
4) Save and exit the BIOS
5) In Windows, use quad instances of Prime95 to test the CPU while keeping an eye on your temps with Coretemp.
Make sure you CPU does not overheat, I believe the max safe temp for your CPU is 65c.
6) When everything tests fine, raise your FSB another few Mhz and retest, repeating until your system either overheats or becomes unstable.

Optional step
7) When you have maxed out your CPU/Motherboard, begin lowering your VCore one step at a time.
Retest between each drop until you start getting errors.
At this point, raise your VCore two steps and call it stable.

Best luck