gigabyte GV-NX86T512H cooling problems

greasymonkey

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
hi,
i ave a problem with my graphics cards (gigabyte 8600gt 512mb). when ever it try to run a game like COD4 or even the Sims2, i get lock ups after 20minutes. both the graphics cards are passively cooled and i was wondering if there is a way to cool these cards without having to buy an aftermarket cooler for both of them. pls help thx

you sure its your video cards and not the psu or other system components?

greasymonkey

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
well i took it to this computer shop and they told me that its the video cards that are causing the lockups they ran RAM tests and all and they said that the PSU was capable of handling all these components (570w)

Most computer shops are hopeless

PSU - what they prolly ment is if it was in good condition and branded, then 570w would be sufficent, and prolly didnt even test the unit.

RAM tests - big deal, memtest fails to pick up all sorts of memory-chipset issues and configuration issues.

Ok, not to say its not your video cards after all that, heres what you can try - get a 8+cm fan and somehow trap it, tie it, stick it (whatever) to the side of the two video cards so it blows fresh cool air between them and download a program called ATiTool and tell it to do a scan and give it that 20 minutes (should be less) and see what it comes up with.

BTW heating sometimes gives you "artifacts" before a total hang - anything?

Post back to me with some results, and some more extended details on your system (CPU, memory with brands etc, motherboard, psu, overclocking etc)

greasymonkey

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
ill get with teh tests asap i need some fre time for that cus i gotta study 4 exams in skool but here r my pc details:
AMD Athlon 64X2 4000+ (brisbane)
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
Western Digital WD3200AAKS (320gb)
Keian GAIA KEP-570w PSU (itsa japanese company)
2x Gigabyte GV-NX86T512H