huge problem: tearing and flickering when playing games.!

cooolr

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hey I have a serious problem

Long time ago I bought some good graphic card for my good new pc and then I started playing games
Well after playing for 1 month I started to see some tearing and some annoying flickering when playing games
(It was deffinatly not overheating and I did not need a new driver)
Well the more I played the worse it got till it started to happen everywhere, not only in games but on my desktop there were these little blue dots

So I bought a new graphic card called 8600 GTS BUT I quit playing games and only used it for internet and such but later on I wanted to play games so badly that I started playing games and this happened again.
(there is NOTHING wrong with any other parts of the pc, they are being upgraded everywhere in the middle of the story, I remember sometime getting a new powersupply, later getting 2 2GB sticks and later getting a new CPU but this graphic annoyance was still happening) And this just got worse and worse so lol I started to think that I let all my cards overheat so I bought a new one and I was not going to let it overheat.

So I now have an 8800 GT lol and I start playing games and this starts happening, (drives me mad, I just want to be ABLE to play games and I don't have this kind of money to buy constant graphic cards)

(I'm a little lazy to take screenshots and find a host for it and upload it and link it so I just googled pictures and found some that were exactly like mine)

http://img393.imageshack.us/my.php?image=15677984nj2.jpg
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/6240/19210941fn5.jpg
(ok first you start seeing theese things, and some really annoying flickering, so some black stuff flickering all over the screen)

(then this comes:)
YOU MUST SEE THIS:
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7006/wow2007020213545703lo6.jpg

the more I play the worse it gets and this is exactly what I'm having
And since I'm so unlucky with this and I have not found any way to fix this I'm giving up on pc's when gaming, I want an Xbox or a playstation, I'm getting so damn tired of this. Spent money on 2 very good new graphic cards that didn't change anything so I just waisted a lot of money (O and I live in Iceland where everything costs a fortune and graphic cards cost almost twice as much and I'm not lying, and I must add in, I'm only 14 so it is kinda much for me to buy 2 graphic cards)

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
that last pic looks really ugly. please post the rest of your pc's specs along with os and nvidia driver versions. for general screen tearing you can usually fix that by just turning v-sync on. however, this looks more like artifacting which could be overheating, a bad card, or even a bad driver version. i remember a lot of people were having similar issues with bf2 and nvidia 6800gt's back in the day and a new driver fixed the issue. does this happen with all your games or just a few?

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
also if you can get you 8800gt's temps during gameplay, please post them as well. you can use rivatuner or ntune to get the temps.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I would be willing to bet it's either a driver issue or heat. Have you tried leaving the side off your computer and see if it does it? When I get good and pissed off at driver issues, I just reinstall Windows and remove all doubt. Before the re-install, try using a program like driver cleaner (free) to make sure you have removed all remnant of previous driver then install latest driver from Nvidia. With your computer doing the same thing with so many cards it almost has to be one of these 2 issues. However it would be nice to know all your specs. CPU, Windows version, PSU wattage and brand, etc.

cooolr

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
(v-sync does not work at all, and yes this happens in ALL my games, not maby 100% the same but very simular in each game)

Well since I'm only 14 I don't know a whole lot about computers but I have asked many people in my family many things, I don't play games because it's just too ugly and it gets worse and worse when I play and then it stays that way and doesn't ever get better so its like permanent damage that comes the more I play BUT before when I was playing I checked the tempetures A LOT and I think they were about 60-70C when playing games but mine is right now 45C, it is really out of the question that it is overheating I think, and also the last pic would have a different kind of tearing if it were overheating.

It might be a driver issue so I will check that now but when I was playing a game called World of Warcraft I saw other people on the forums having these troubles, many could not fix it by getting the latest driver and blizzard couldn't help them at all. Some said turning on Opengl works but it doesn't here. Some said not enought power supply going to the card but mine must be fine. So I will now install the latest drivers (I think I have done that already, mine are atleast not that old)

I don't really know where to get all my computer info so if you could help me on that one, but I can probably find that out but just when I'm done installing the newest drivers.

edit: driver cleaner is no longer free, now they charge 10 dollars, how do I clean out my drivers?

cooolr

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
uhumm it's not cold in Iceland, not even in the winter, the ocean and the heat underground heats up the country.
And no its not nearly close to a heater.
I have had 3 graphic cards
The first one I had was with another motherboard than I use today but the graphic card teared
The next one I had first with the old one and then with my new motherboard but still the same
The newest one I have with my new motherboard and it still teares
So I don't think it's my motherboard

I know what motherboard I had and wich I have because I still have the boxes

The old one was a K8 Triton series, nforce 4sli series (well it says that) edit: o and PCI-express/dual channel DDR400 motherboard
New one is....wth, isn't there just a name for the motherboard? It's hard to see, well it says S-series motherboards
GA-P35-DS3L
is that it? well tell me how I can see all the info from the inside of my comp

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Ya thats the DS3L. What are your exact specs? Please list them because this would really help us help you.

Here's an example list:
P35 DS3L
2gb A DATA DDR2 800 RAM
Gigabyte HD3850 512mb
E8400 w/ Xigmatek s1283
Antec Earthwatts 500

cooolr

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Do I get that info from the inside of the comp? or on the box? can you tell me what I press to get my computer info, I know there is some place in the computer where there is a list of all things you have.
Thank you very much for your help and please continue :D

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Download CPU-Z and GPU-Z (google), CPU-Z will give you all the info you need for the CPU, the Mobo and Ram, GPU-Z will give you the info about the videocard.

By the way, check the 6-pin power cable is connected from your PSU to you videocard, when I saw the third picture I instantly thought of the card being underpowered.

cooolr

Distinguished
May 31, 2008

Okay I will now download CPU-Z and GPU-Z

I checked the 6-pin power cable and it is connected

cooolr

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
from CPU-Z

Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 4 per processor
Number of threads 4 per processor
Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Code Name Kentsfield
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA
Family/Model/Stepping 6.F.B
Extended Family/Model 6.F
Core Stepping G0
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 1600.0 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 6.0 x 266.7 MHz
Rated Bus speed 1066.6 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache (per processor) 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache (per processor) 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache (per processor) 2 x 4096 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory

Northbridge Intel P35/G33/G31 rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801IB (ICH9) rev. 02
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 4096 MBytes
Memory Frequency 400.0 MHz (2:3)
CAS# Latency (tCL) 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 15 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T

System

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Name P35-DS3L
System S/N
Mainboard Vendor Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Mainboard Model P35-DS3L
BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
BIOS Version F6
BIOS Date 11/05/2007

Memory SPD

Module 1 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, STT
Module 2 DDR2, PC2-6400 (400 MHz), 2048 MBytes, STT

Software

Windows Version Microsoft Windows Vista (6.0) Business Edition (Build 6000)
DirectX Version 10.0

(Yes I have vista, (it sux))
---------------------------------------------
from GPU-Z

Graphic Card:
I can't copy this so I will just write it:
its GeForce 8800GT,
CPU = G92, Revision = R2
Technology = 65nm, Die Size = 330mm((2))
BIOS Version = 62.92.16.00.04
Device ID = 10DE - 0611, Subvendor = Undefined (0000)
ROPs = 16, Bus Interface = PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16
Shaders = 112 Unified, DirectX support = 10.0/SM4.0
Pixel Fillrate = 9.6 GPixel/s, Texture Fillrate = 33.6 GTexel/s
Memory Type = GDDR3, Bux Width = 256 Bit
Memory Size = 512 MB, Bandwith = 57.6GB/s
Driver Version (here it comes, I thought I had uptaded it to a very new version, we will see):
nvlddmkm 7.15.11.7516 (ForceWare 175.16)/Vista
GPU Clock = 600 MHz, Memory = 900 MHz, Shader = 1530 MHz
Default Clock = all same as above
NVIDIA SLI = Disabled

-
Good gaming rig or no?

The artifacts like the ones in the last picture normally mean one of the following

*Drivers - Rare, but it happens. Doubtful in your case since you say it got worse as time went on
*Low Power - Make sure the power connector is firmly connected
*Heat - This normally happens after playing a bit and gets worse as you play.
*Bad video ram or damaged core - This is the most likely cause.

Is the card under warranty?

You can try to underclock the card a bit if it gets better its most likely a bad card.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
RMA that sucka (given it's under warranty).

Try using a different PSU if you have an extra or putting the GPU in someone else's PC.