Sign in with
Your question

New Server or NAS?

Last response: in Storage
August 13, 2009 6:58:17 PM

Are there any issues when attempting to replace a server with a NAS?

Situation: Small Business, Dell Power Vault server running SBS2003 w/Exchange, 6 workstations XP. 99% of files are MSOffice or .PDF. The server is buggy, raid mirror broken twice. Takes up a lot of my time give only 6 workstations. I'm thinking of moving email to our internet service provider and buying a NAS for files. Has anyone had issues running file sharing off a NAS? Seems simple on paper. Anything i'm not taking into account?

More about : server nas

a b G Storage
August 14, 2009 9:51:45 AM

I don't think you'll encounter any issues, other than setting up the drive to properly coordinate with your network. You should also consider if a NAS will make you lose certain functionality, such as printer-sharing,
August 14, 2009 2:09:08 PM

Heh, gmail for domains ftw! In house email servers are always a headache. The company I work for has been selling gmail for domain setups like crazy.

Are there any enterprise level NAS with printer-server capabilities?
Related resources
August 17, 2009 3:47:09 AM

We just put in a couple of Buffalo NAS at work and they run pretty well, but there are still things that having a server are good for. Printer drivers, any client-server type software, scanner drivers, any attached USB backup or storage drives, etc. etc.
a c 114 G Storage
September 18, 2009 2:31:57 AM

indyflyr said:
Are there any issues when attempting to replace a server with a NAS?

Situation: Small Business, Dell Power Vault server running SBS2003 w/Exchange, 6 workstations XP. 99% of files are MSOffice or .PDF. The server is buggy, raid mirror broken twice. Takes up a lot of my time give only 6 workstations. I'm thinking of moving email to our internet service provider and buying a NAS for files. Has anyone had issues running file sharing off a NAS? Seems simple on paper. Anything i'm not taking into account?

Same setup here running off an Infrant NV+ for 3 years (Infrant was purchased by Netgear). Proprietary X-RAID is great. Only issue is sometimes it decides that I as owner of the files, no one else should be able to edit them. Check a box in setup and it rests the whole volume. Tho as temp fix if it won't let you save silly.doc, you can save it as sillyone.doc. Then you can save sillyone.doc as silly.doc.
!