New Build with GA-EP43-DS3L will not post...Help!

Poma

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
I have just received and put together new build with the following specs:

Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L
Intel Q6600
ZALMAN CNPS9500
2x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
SILVERSTONE ST75F 750W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V
COOLER MASTER RC-690

Once i booted the system up for the first time it would not post and kept restarting every 10 seconds or so, also the CPU Phase LEDs that this mobo has were all on.

After removing all the non-essentials and reseeding CPU, RAM, Video Card, and clearing the BIOS it posted and I was able to install Vista x64 and reconnect everything back in the case.

The system worked for about a day, while I was testing the new system by playing CS:Source it gave me a IRQ-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL BSOD and restarted, after which it now keeps doing what it did after the build.

I tried everything I did last time and still the same happens, a few times it posted and said it was recovering the BIOS after which it continued to restart...the weird thing is that when there is no RAM in the mobo it gives no beep codes and just keeps restarting o_O

I saw many topic relating to Gigabyte boards and this happening that turned out to be a dead board..just want to confirm if that is true or if you guys might have some other ideas.

Thanks.

P.S...there was on OC done, all BIOS values were default.

eckosof

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
i have exact problem, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251155-30-help-build .

Even the IRQ-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL BSOD.
Some were able to update bios to F6 and get it working, Not me. When ever i tried to flash bios it would flash to f6 once, then bsod or endless reboot cycle and revert to F3 bios. Also had Dual bios failures. Some of the things i tried, Using only one stick of ram. trying x32 xp instead of x64.(most success). unplugging everything except essentials. another thing that helped was a feature in bios power management.

HPET Support
(Note)
Enables or disables High Precision Event Timer (HPET) for Windows® Vista® operating system.
(Default: Enabled)
HPET Mode
(Note)
Allows you to select the HPET mode for your Windows® Vista® operating system. Select 32-bit
mode when you install 32-bit Windows® Vista®; select 64-bit mode when you install 64-bit
Windows® Vista®. (Default: 32-bit mode)

This gave small success was able to install to 32% before crashing.

On giga site it also says to * Please remember to "Load Optimize Defaults" (in the BIOS Setup) after updating new BIOS.
This didnt help me at all either.

Good luck!

Poma

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I would love to try and flash the bios only problem is that it doesn't even post for me to be able to boot to anything, not vista, nothing, no signal to the screen at all... I am starting to think its a bad mobo and that I should RMA with Newegg while I still have time. :(

eckosof

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
yes i have same problem, as not posting. first it would take about 5 seconds to show post screen, then just no posting, and since there is no onboard video you cant eliminate the vga as a problem other than trying a different card, have you tried different ram combinations in different spots? or tried no ide and making sure cpu fan is plugged in? and you have tried with only one stick of ram? have you tried reset cmos jumper?

GenKhan2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I would recommend turning off the psu, removing the battery, and clearing cmos. That stands a decent chance of getting you to the boot menu. The BSOD has got me stumped however.

mxcrowe

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Has anyone confirmed that HPET needs to be enabled? I have had similar problems with my EP45-DS3L and 2x2gb ram. Is not stable in dual channel mode, but reasonably ok in single channel. I had set HPET to x64 in my earlier tests, but once I started setting to system defaults, I left it at x32. I'm running Vista x64, so probably I'll change it, but I wonder if HPET is needed at all?

Pixaloop

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Clear the CMOS (clears the looping reboots)
Download the latest BIOS onto a flash drive (vF6)
Use one memory stick (no dual channel).

Check for stability.

I manually set the timings to 5-5-5-15 2.0v on one PQI 2GB stick.

I havent figured out the dual channel yet.

I've tried the following combinations of memory

DDR2_1 DDR_2 DDR2_3 DDR2_4 STATUS
X 0 0 0 Loads (2 gigs)
X 0 X 0 no post
X X 0 0 Will Try tonight

-----------------
My setup:

Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L
Intel E6600
ZALMAN CNPS9700
2x PQI 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
XFX Tech GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
Antec 850 Quattro PSU
Antec Twelve Hundred

darose

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008

I'm having the same problem with my new GA-EP43-DS3L. I bought some pretty plain vanilla Mushkin DDR2 800 memory (2x2G - see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146693 ). Boots fine with one 2GB stick. But with both sticks it goes into the same reboot cycle others described here.

Anyone know what the prob. is and/or a workaround? It'd be a real shame if I only was able to use half my memory.

BTW, I upgraded the BIOS to F6, but no improvement.

Pixaloop

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
F6 is there but the BIOS was s still buggy. Not using Dual Channel seems to help the situation but I gave up on this board. making a simple change not timings related, made it go into the loop. Which was the last straw for me. Exchanged it for an MSI P45 Neo-F. Hasnt given any issues after a bios update.

Good look guys.

darose

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008

FYI - looks like I've found a solution! (w00t!) As suggested by the moderator on the Gigabyte Support board over at Tweaktown ( http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/problems-ga-ep43-ds3l-2x2gb-memory-27287/#post256049 ) I changed the DRAM voltage to 1.9 and the MCH core voltage to 1.3. Everything's working like a charm ever since!