External Enclosure for 2.5 SATA HDD not recognized by Windows

ruster_88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Rosewill RX81U-ES External enclosure. I upgraded my laptop hard drive so I had an extra 2.5" SATA drive which is what the enclosure is for. After inserting the drive and plugging it in via USB the led lights came on but nothing came up in windows. No drivers were installed and I couldn't see it in My Computer or Disk Managment.

I e-mailed Rosewill technical support. Here is what they said.

"Dear Valued Customer, Thank you for contacting Rosewill. Perhaps you need to set the jumper on the drive to slave them go to disk mgnt and activate the drive that should make it accessable in windows"

I am not sure what they mean by set the jumpers to slave as the SATA drive i have doesn't have jumpers (standard for SATA as i understand)

So my questions are, Has anybody ran in to this before? And how do you set a SATA drive to slave?

Had this problem. Most common cause is lack of drive current on the USB port. It has been a mixed bag for me. I have two laptops and 3 enclosure - 1 USB and two USB/esata. Normally they provide a USB cable that will plug into two usb ports which may/maynot work. I've resorted to using a powered usb hub. Any way simple check is to try a powered USB hub.

ruster_88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

Thank yo for the suggestion however this did not seem to work. It did the same thing the lights came on but windows did not come up saying I had plugged something in.