celopmuh

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I forgot to connect the power supply to the card (8800 gs). After turning on it made a loud beep, and I cut the power to the system right away. Now the card seems to be malfunctioning, shows artifacts (even the first text screen, 'NVBIOS' etc. is garbled). So, is this connected? Did I fry the card or is it just overheated?

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
never heard of anyone frying anything due to lack of power. you might have a defective card, or you might just need to check your cables to make sure they're plugged all the way in.

celopmuh

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
that's good... i was afraid i destroyed the card... anyway I will try to plug it again later, maybe it's defective.
Also, I noticed that 8800 GS is noisy as fsck (well maybe not, but I was used to the onboard 6100 which has no additional cooling at all). From what I heard, 8800 GT unlike the GS actually has fan control, would that make a big difference in noise levels when I'm not running anything GPU-intensive?

marvelous211

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
You probably bought the XFX version without variable fan. This has been mentioned quite a few times if you checked the forums before you bought your card.

As for your problem your card might be defective or you might have handled your bare electronic board without care. You can't damage a card by not hooking up the PCI-E connector.