2x HD4850s and Discrete Sound on an x48 Rampage Formula?

jtwpm3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I am building a new rig in the next couple of weeks. A few of the many parts that I will be putting in are the following:

Asus x48 Rampage Formula
2x Radeon HD4850 Crossfire
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (which is the pci-e version)

I am ordering the parts from newegg.com, so I cant really get a clear idea of whether or not the expansion slot area is going to be really crowded. From the pictures of the mainboard, it looks like filling the two pci-e x16 2.0 slots with the 4850s and then filling a pci-e x1 slot with the X-Fi is going to be close.

I know that the 4850s run hot. What kind of heat will these three cards right next to eachother be producing? Does anyone know for sure if they will actually fit together on the rampage formula? I know the two video cards will fit just fine, but is this sound card going to give me trouble?

Everyone on these forums has been so helpful that I think I am tying up the final loose ends on my new build. Thanks once again for all your input.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
That is a lot of heat, 85+C idle and 95+C load. Especially since 4850s use single slot coolers that vent the hot air inside your case instead of outside. Get lots of case fans, and don't put that sound card between them no matter what. :p