Sign in with
Your question

Help With New Home built system (lock ups)

Last response: in Systems
May 14, 2008 11:43:07 PM

Hello,

I'm in dire need of help with my system please. I first built my current system back in january which consists of (4) Corsair CM3X1024-1800C7DIN, Asus Maximus Extreme, Q9650 processor, hitachi deskstar 1TB, Tagan BZ 800w PS, EVGA 8800 ultra video card. This setup was working for about a month and then i started to get BSOD's quite a bit and random lock ups. It got to the point it would happen so frequently i couldnt start windows up. Since then i have had the hard drive, CPU, motherboard, and power supply replaced. Now after having everything swapped i'm still having the same problems but worse. I can't even install windows without my computer locking up and requiring a reboot. If windows does install i get a BSOD every single time it loads up and end up having to remove it. I have tried just using 1 ram stick at a time and still have the same problem. I have tried to install Windows XP Professional 64 bit, Windows Vista Ultimate 64/32 bit, and windows xp home basic. All 3 operating system result in the same problems. I've tried a different CD Drive and removing my sound card. neither were the problem. I've tried using a different mouse and keyboard also. I've tried using different BIOS setings. I did run memtest back in january and did not have any problems with any of the 4 sticks. Any help in this matter would be greatly apprecaited as i have not had a working computer in 4 months now.
May 15, 2008 12:21:24 AM

try flashing your bios.
May 15, 2008 3:26:35 AM

I've already updated the bios so i know its not that.
Related resources
May 15, 2008 4:03:26 PM

uneekone said:
Hello,

I'm in dire need of help with my system please. I first built my current system back in january which consists of (4) Corsair CM3X1024-1800C7DIN, Asus Maximus Extreme, Q9650 processor, hitachi deskstar 1TB, Tagan BZ 800w PS, EVGA 8800 ultra video card. This setup was working for about a month and then i started to get BSOD's quite a bit and random lock ups. It got to the point it would happen so frequently i couldnt start windows up. Since then i have had the hard drive, CPU, motherboard, and power supply replaced. Now after having everything swapped i'm still having the same problems but worse. I can't even install windows without my computer locking up and requiring a reboot. If windows does install i get a BSOD every single time it loads up and end up having to remove it. I have tried just using 1 ram stick at a time and still have the same problem. I have tried to install Windows XP Professional 64 bit, Windows Vista Ultimate 64/32 bit, and windows xp home basic. All 3 operating system result in the same problems. I've tried a different CD Drive and removing my sound card. neither were the problem. I've tried using a different mouse and keyboard also. I've tried using different BIOS setings. I did run memtest back in january and did not have any problems with any of the 4 sticks. Any help in this matter would be greatly apprecaited as i have not had a working computer in 4 months now.

well now,,you built this system in january,,right??,and it worked fine for a month,,did you install any funny stuff or anything new to you,have you checked all your connections thourghly?? ,,probably you have,then you might consider,,removing the mobo from the case and testing outside the box,plus it is easier to get at stuff,you have replaced everything,what about the power cord does it fit nice n tight???
it might be that that mobo does not really like 4x1 ram,you should google it.i have heard/read where some mobo's not not work well with 4x1 of ram,should but they don't..keep us informed,eh,,hope you fix it soonest....:) 
May 17, 2008 11:56:53 PM

I've tried all the connections and everything is fine with those. I've tried just using 1 ram stick and i still end up with the same problem. I want to assume that the mobo or cpu i got sent back is defaulty but i have no way of figuring that out. I'm stuck trying to diagnose what the exact problem is.
!