Sign in with
Your question

Black screen when trying to load vista

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 18, 2012 2:45:36 PM

I have tried to load Windows Vista 32 Bits and keep getting a black screen in doing so. What can I do? I have formatted the hd to load Vista and have two separate windows Vista's on it.
October 18, 2012 3:02:10 PM

rickspoohbear said:
I have tried to load Windows Vista 32 Bits and keep getting a black screen in doing so. What can I do? I have formatted the hd to load Vista and have two separate windows Vista's on it.

What do you mean by "load vista" ? Are you saying you have two versions of Vista installed, but when you turn the system on, Vista will not startup ? Do you have it setup to dual boot ? Checked for memory and HDD errors (realize you can't do this now, if you cannot boot) Tried startup repair ?
m
l
November 27, 2012 10:21:45 PM

If your bios does not support dual 32/64 bit OS then you cannot have both x32 and x64 Vista on different drives.

If you bios has options for x32 and x64 and it is set to x64 then you have to change it to x32 so that Vista x32 can be installed (if dual x32/64 is not available) but you will not be able to access the Vista x64 if it is installed on a different drive if you change the setting to x32 only.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2012 10:27:27 PM

TenPc said:
If your bios does not support dual 32/64 bit OS then you cannot have both x32 and x64 Vista on different drives.

If you bios has options for x32 and x64 and it is set to x64 then you have to change it to x32 so that Vista x32 can be installed (if dual x32/64 is not available) but you will not be able to access the Vista x64 if it is installed on a different drive if you change the setting to x32 only.

Not even close. There is no such setting. 32-bit and 64-bit will coexist just fine as long as the processor is 64-bit.
m
l
November 28, 2012 4:30:16 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
Not even close. There is no such setting. 32-bit and 64-bit will coexist just fine as long as the processor is 64-bit.

No, you are in error, the motherboard bios has to have an option for x64 for a 64 bit OS to be installed, either dual mode or an actual 64 bit enabled mode.
m
l
November 28, 2012 11:57:07 AM

TenPc said:
No, you are in error, the motherboard bios has to have an option for x64 for a 64 bit OS to be installed, either dual mode or an actual 64 bit enabled mode.

Son, I've been doing this since before you were born. You are wrong on almost everything you post. Go away and gain some knowledge and experience.
m
l
November 28, 2012 8:16:59 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Son, I've been doing this since before you were born. You are wrong on almost everything you post. Go away and gain some knowledge and experience.

If the bios does not have an option for 64 bit then a 64 bit OS cannot be installed.

My knowledge is gained from hands on experience, and though it may not apply to other countries, it applies to pc's in Australia. Perhaps things are different in your country but here, the things I state are true and correct.

What I stated was that 64 bit Os could not be installed if the bios did not support 64 bit Os however a 32 bit OS can still be installed but only if the option in the bios is dual 32/64 and IF he already installed 64 bit Os and is trying to install a 32 bit version on a separate hdd. If the instruction is set to 64 bit only then the 32 bit OS will not install.

The Asker may be trying to install on a separate partition, he needs to use a separate hdd.
m
l
November 28, 2012 8:18:16 PM

TenPc said:
If the bios does not have an option for 64 bit then a 64 bit OS cannot be installed.....

Provide a direct link to such a machine or stop your drivel.
m
l
November 28, 2012 9:21:39 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Provide a direct link to such a machine or stop your drivel.

The option for 32 bit and 64 bit OS was only available on some motherboards manufactured between 2005 and 2006 (Asus and Gigabyte), and (it seems) only in Australia. Nowadays, the option is no longer present and relies on the CPU processor bit technology to determine its presence. The options do not seem to be present in motherboards made available to other countries as I have had this conjecture many times and it is with astonishment that no one else has had these options in their bios.

When I was fitting up my 64 bit Windows 7 PC (3 years ago), I was advised by many professional PC techs to ensure that the bios had 64 bit "Enabled" otherwise I would not be able to instal x64 OS.

All I'm saying now is that the Asker at least go check for the option in the bios.

m
l
!