Thermal Grease Cleaning Question

johnnymac13

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
When putting my new rig together last night I had a problem with the stock Heatsink on my Q9450 not fitting on my board (P5K-E WIFI-AP). the legs weren't long enough to clear the transistors around the CPU and still snap fully into place without the fins resting and putting pressure on the transistors.

So, I pulled it off and used a q-tip to clean the thermal grease that had been pre-applied to the stock HS and wanted to make sure it would be OK. There is a bit of a stain where I cleaned off the TG from the CPU but I can read the text on the CPU so I belive its pretty clean. Going to get another HS today and finish my build but wanted to know if I needed to use any special cleaning product on the CPU before appling more TG and a new HS.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
A higher percentage is also preferred, say 90% instead of the 70% that you usually find in your medicine cabinet. But 70% should be fine for most cleaning jobs.

-mcg

sailer

Splendid
I use 91-95% isopropyl alcohol and it cleans things fine. There are a couple commercial cleaners out there, but I think they're a waste of good money. Yeah, avoid the lower quality alcohols as they contain a lot of impurities, oils, and junk that are not good for computer chips.

You can get 100% at a drugstore. 70% is OK. Avoid something called "rubbing alcohol". It's usually 70% isopropyl, but it has lanolin in it - leaves a film. A piece of a clean coffee filter works well for cleaning - doesn't leave lint behind.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I use a mixture of Heptane and Isopropyl Alcohol.

Carefully, with a Q-Tip.

Edit: AKA Contact & Circuit Board Cleaner. $3.00 a can. Available everywhere.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
personally, i don't use alcohol at all... i use the thermal grease remover from artic silver.

http://articsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

works great for me :) and i wouldn't use a q-tip either. small cotton strands could come loose from it...i personally use a lint free cloth, such as those in eye glasses cleaning or you could pick some up from your local electronic store.

johnnymac13

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
luckily since I was just putting the machine together the thermal grease had never been heated up and it came right off with the q-tip...i picked up an Arctic pro 7 today and a little tube of xigmatex grease sicne they were out of artic silver. Hopefully the system will post and boot smoothly tonight after I put in the new HS and finish connecting everything.