Sign in with
Your question

2SATA+1PATA+Vista=Auto RAID configuration?

Last response: in Storage
August 14, 2009 5:28:03 AM

I read on a random forum that Vista has a... bug... that involves the automatic configuration of a RAID 0(?) array when at least 2 SATA drives and 1 or more PATA drives are physically installed, WHILE installing a fresh version of Windows Vista. That describes my situation more or less to the 't'.

I have a 250g Samsung SATA drive with an existing version of Vista Home Premium, and 1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5 TB SATA 32 MB Cache, with the intention of performing a clean install to replace my 250g. I also have several IDE 120g drives(one of which was installed) that have random DATA from various family members that i periodically back up for them. I formatted the 1.5tb using EASEUS Partition Master 4.0.

With all 3 drives physically installed (2SATA/1IDE), I loaded my Vista install disc and promptly installed a fresh version onto the 1.5tb drive. Little did i know, the bootmgr was apparently installed onto my 250g (god know's why, i don't). So the only way i can access Vista on the 1.5tb is by booting the 250g and selecting the OS entry from the 'new' bootmgr that somehow configured itself. At this point, i'm basically stumped. I was curious if i could just straight copy the "bootmgr" from my 250g, along with any config files, and hope it would make the drive independent. For some reason or another, i thought that sounded like a disaster waiting to happen, so here i am :) 

EDIT: A piece of vital information... When booting to the 1.5tb directly, i get the "bootmgr is missing" error.
a b G Storage
August 17, 2009 4:27:28 AM

I suggest you try building a hardware RAID array. Routing everything through a RAID controller would be more expensive, but at least you'll have less issues like the one above.
August 17, 2009 9:01:07 AM

Thanks for your reply, r_manic.

My goal was not to create a RAID array at all, i just want 1 Windows Vista OS to be bootable from my 1.5tb SATA drive. The issue is that the bootmgr was installed to my 250gig instead of my 1.5tb, due to the bug that i explained.

Is there any way to "reinstall" a standard bootmgr? or can i just copy the necessary boot files from an existing OS installment? Thanks for your help in advance.
Related resources
August 17, 2009 3:36:26 PM

Hi,

unplug all hardrive except your 1.5tb.

Boot from Vista install DVD.

Select "repair my computer".

It will scan you vista installation and "repair" the bootmanager (reinstall it).

As always, don't do it without a good backup of your data.

Regards,

Brad
August 17, 2009 3:44:52 PM

Reinstall Windows on the 1.5 with no other drives attatched, end of issue!
August 24, 2009 5:14:49 PM

I appreciate all of the feedback, and I understand that reinstalling would solve the issue... As i said before though, are there any tools, other than the repair feature, that i can use to rebuild the bootmgr? I'm trying to avoid reinstalling the OS.
!