Sign in with
Your question

Question regarding power consumptions ???

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2009 2:09:15 AM

Since I'm not electrician I really dont know if my psu runs properly, i mean everything runs smooth, but just please if you could see if there is any dysfunction.

Thanks

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 26, 2009 6:54:26 AM

Yes, indeed. Your system would'nt POST. The PSU would not generate a control signal called something like "PowerOK" and your CPU wouldn't even try to boot.

If you don't have DMM, you can check to see what your BIOS reports the voltages.

With a DMM at the main power connector:
Orange wires: 3.3 volts
Red wires: 5 volts
Yellow wires: 12 volts
Purple wire: 5 volts, always on
Blue wire: -12 volts

Gray wire: Control signal from PSU. Should go to around 5 volts within 1/2 second after pressing case power switch. Must be present to boot.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2009 1:44:34 PM

Come on guys. Yes the volt meter is the most accurate way to check, but software can give you a rough idea. The problem with speedfan is the lack of updates, so while it took the readings, it put them in the wrong place. He does have a 3.3V reading, its the second Vcore value. (the E6600 has only one power plane, so can't be two vcores.)

Assuming these are at load values, you should be alright. The 12V is a little low, but again if this is at load your not to bad. 11.7 is still within spec. If this is at idle, then I would get a volt meter and check it under load. If it gets near 11.4v, you have a problem.

If these are idle values, your temps are high. My E6600 gets to 45c at load, I've never seen it higher. (idle temp is in the low 30s.) 48c won't kill it, but it seems high to me, very high if this is at idle.
February 26, 2009 2:02:33 PM

According to software my 12V is off over 1V, but it is actually very close to 12V. I wouldn't call that a rough idea.
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2009 5:41:41 PM

His isn't that off. Anything that off should be double checked. Anything boardline should be double checked. But if the values look good/close, why go through the hassle of confirming?

We've had this argument before, I'm not going into it again. You feel that only volt meters are good enough, I disagree. I'm not saying volt meters can't be used, but I see no reason to use one if the software says all my values are good, and I'm not having any weird issues.
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 26, 2009 6:22:48 PM

4745454b said:
You feel that only volt meters are good enough, I disagree. I'm not saying volt meters can't be used, but I see no reason to use one if the software says all my values are good, and I'm not having any weird issues.

I agree with this. I wouldn't bother checking the voltages of a working PC. But there's certainly nothing wrong with knowing how to.
!