Trying to replace a graphics card on an older Dell Mobo

Squelch

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Okay, I'm pretty much a noob with this stuff, and am learning slowly and getting into building my own computers. That known, I have a couple of questions.

My father is slightly into gaming and has a 3+ year old Dell Dimension 3000 desktop. He recently bought CoD 4 but his graphics card will not run it. It's an older Radeon 256MB card that came stock with his computer. He went to Best Buy to get a new card, and the employee helping him told him that the Motherboard on factory ordered Dell's is unique and if a new card needed to be ordered, it had to be ordered through Dell. I have never heard of anything like this, and thought that all PCI cards were universal, therefore any GC should fit. Any ideas? Thanks.

Is it a PCI card ? a PCI-E card or a PCI-E x 16 card ? Some Dells came with integrated graphics and no AGP or PCI-E x 16 socket. See if you can look up the motherboard with the model number and check to see what it supports, or post it here. PCI and PCI-E cards are not good gaming cards, but they are sold at Newegg.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
If you post the service ticket number then we can determine exactly what the machine is including all factory installed parts

The other option is to post the exact model number/part no, but that does not provide as much info as the service ticket number, normally a white label with black lettering, found on the back of the machine

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah, that's a load of you-know-what.

However, the options are not good. That computer has PCI slots only, so even with the best PCI video card available, it won't be running CoD4.

Time for a major upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS