New build, vista freeze on install.

Scuba Hood85

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Hi All.

I just build a new PC with the specs below (signature). Im trying to install a copy of Vista 32 Bit. It freezes mostly when I get to expanding files between 5-50% and then i restart. I built a similair PC and it works fine. When it reads the CD it seems the power kicks in, then it will go quiet for a bit and if I move my mouse the power kicks in again. Here is what i've tried:

Put my other hard drive with vista on in this pc, i can log in, then it will freeze.

I replaced the GPU and i get the same problem.

I ran MEMTEST86 on this PC it always fails, but if i use the same ram on another PC it works. I even put some other ram (OCZ reaper 4GB) in and it still failed on this build.

I put in another PSU (Corsair 620 HX) and it managed to log in but then froze.

I just understand what the problem can be. I pretty much tried all I can think of. Even tried installing XP and it froze. Firstly i thought maybe PSU dodgy rail or something. I did get a new mobo and sent the old one back, but that seems to be ok. And i replaced the CPU with an identical one i have in another PC.

If anyone have any suggestions, id greatly appeciate it. Sorry for the loong post

Well, first you cannot move a hard drive with an OS install from 1 PC to another, that simply won't work. I would expect it to freeze and crash.
Sometimes you get lucky if the hardware between the 2 builds is close to the same, but even if it loads the OS, things can still be flakey.

So lets get to the problem of trying to do the fresh install of Vista.
Do you have the drive set to "native IDE mode"?
Have you tried with only 1 stick of memory?

Scuba Hood85

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Oh, the 2 pcs are identical builts. i connected it with sata in port 0. the bios was load optimised settings. I tried with 1 stick of ram same problem. I am about to try the ram in the new build with my other pc and run memtest see if it passes.