Replaced MOBO...XP starts to load...CPU shuts off

nab0610

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Replaced the MOBO, Processor, RAM. Plugged in the old HDD turned it on entered settings in BIOS, then tried to boot into windows, it starts to load and about the time the mouse shows up in the center of the screen the CPU just shuts off, same thing when I try to boot into safe mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

daship

Distinguished
You cant upgrqade to a new mobo and use a old HDD with Windows on it. All the drivers and registry are set to the old motherboard and when it cant find what its looking for it shuts down.

You have to do a fresh install of windows and then install all your drivers fresh.

A fresh install will delete everything, so if you got stuff on there hook it into another computer and back it up.

JOC469

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
I had a similar problem when I was moving a HDD between two similar machines. One had been setup in the BIOS for AHCI, and the other had been IDE.

I just moved my current setup from an older E7500 to a newer i7 920. The only problems I've had to date are my antivirus software and ms office getting upset thinking i had reinstalled them on a different computer and so wanting new product registration codes