downloading SR 2 to burn to CD

August 13, 2005 3:41:33 PM

Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a
folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on
another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up
connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed.
Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
George

More about : downloading burn

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:34:45 PM

Hi George,

Sure, just download the network version:

It's a whopper at 266MB. The Auto-update version (aka the Express version)
will be smaller as it will only download the parts you need. The full
network version contains everything, including all critical updates since
XP's original release, many of which you probably already have.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
> burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
> computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
> and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
> DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> George
August 13, 2005 5:51:27 PM

You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.

"george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
> burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
> computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
> and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
> DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> George
August 13, 2005 7:57:51 PM

george2002 wrote:
> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a
> folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation
> on another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial
> up connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that
> speed. Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> George

You mean "Windows XP SP2"..?
(Service Pack 2..)

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
http://snipurl.com/8umo

You can download all updates and burn them to CD..

You can download each update manually - based off the KB Article number,
etc. That way you can back it up/burn a CD of them in case you need them or
use them to keep a slipstream/integrated (updated) Windows XP CD.

How to use the Windows Update Catalog
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166
(In order to use the Windows Update Catalog, you must use IE to get the
patches..)

Windows Update Catalog
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/defaul...
(In order to use the Windows Update Catalog, you must use IE to get the
patches..)

Creating an Integrated Installation
http://snipurl.com/el43

Integrate software updates into your Windows installation source files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828930

Really customize your CD..
http://unattended.msfn.org/

You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
month using the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms##...***.mspx

At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
fine) - note that future months will not work.

As an example...

December 2004's patches..
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04...

March 2005's patches..
None released.. so that one will fail...

May 2005's patches..
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05...

July 2005's patches..
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05...

Once you get on the page with each month's list of patches.. You can go to
the related KB articles and grab the appropriate files from there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

In addition to the network download recommended by Rick you consider also
using it to make a slipstreamed cd that gives you the same XP cd you would
buy in the stores today. Go to
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/u...
which has all the instructions and the links for SP2 and Autotstreamer. You
upgrade your Windows to XP SP2 with the downloaded SP2 file and then make
the cd so that you can repair your XP installation later if needed.

"george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
> burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
> computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
> and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
> DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> George
August 13, 2005 11:35:43 PM

"" wrote:
> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2
> to a
> folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and
> installation on
> another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a
> dial up
> connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that
> speed.
> Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> George

If by SR 2 you mean SP2 then yes, I have no idea what SR 2 is.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-downloading-SR-burn...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1355451
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 11:52:51 PM

Sparda wrote:
> "" wrote:
> > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2
> > to a
> > folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and
> > installation on
> > another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a
> > dial up
> > connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that
> > speed.
> > Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> > George
>
> If by SR 2 you mean SP2 then yes, I have no idea what SR 2 is.

If you mean SP2, I did it, saved it, and then burned it
to a CD. SR2 I don't recognize.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous

Jerry wrote:
> You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.

Microsoft sent me one free. Didn't charge for shipping or anything else.
I don't know if it's still available at that rate though.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:21:48 AM

RobertVA wrote:
> Microsoft sent me one free. Didn't charge for shipping or anything
> else. I don't know if it's still available at that rate though.

Jerry is what is known as "mistaken". (Unless there is in fact some country
thatgets charged where no one else does.)

Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
http://snipurl.com/8bqy

Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
http://snipurl.com/8umo

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
August 14, 2005 4:21:49 AM

Wrong.
I had to pay shipping and handling when I ordered the SP2 CD.

news:o oV6EhIoFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Jerry wrote:
>> You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.
>
> RobertVA wrote:
>> Microsoft sent me one free. Didn't charge for shipping or anything
>> else. I don't know if it's still available at that rate though.
>
> Jerry is what is known as "mistaken". (Unless there is in fact some
> country thatgets charged where no one else does.)
>
> Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
> http://snipurl.com/8bqy
>
> Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
> http://snipurl.com/8umo
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 14, 2005 6:10:38 AM

Received mine two days ago -- free -- including shipping, handling and/or
postage.
Ordered directly from MS site.
Took a week from order to receipt.
Came FedEx ground.

> Wrong.
> I had to pay shipping and handling when I ordered the SP2 CD.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o oV6EhIoFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Jerry wrote:
>>> You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.
>>
>> RobertVA wrote:
>>> Microsoft sent me one free. Didn't charge for shipping or anything
>>> else. I don't know if it's still available at that rate though.
>>
>> Jerry is what is known as "mistaken". (Unless there is in fact some
>> country thatgets charged where no one else does.)
>>
>> Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
>> http://snipurl.com/8bqy
>>
>> Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
>> http://snipurl.com/8umo
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

August 14, 2005 6:14:11 AM

Jerry wrote:
> You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.

I cannot be "wrong" when I clearly stated "Unless there is in fact some
country that gets charged where no one else does."

Where do you live Jerry? Why would you get charged for the FREE CD
including shipping and handling found at the link above when it seems no one
else does? A link that the first sentence clearly states:

"Thank you for your interest in the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. Microsoft
will ship the CD to you free of charge. This CD includes the same Service
Pack 2 software that is available for download from Microsoft Update."

".. ship the CD to you free of charge."

Where do you live or did you get your CD from someone other than Microsoft
and the web page above, Jerry?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Hi, George, go to Microsoft.com , on the left pane under product Families,
click on windows, & go down to " 10 reasons to install windows XP sp2, click
on that, on the right side pf the screen click on order cd, & follow the
instructions, you should get a sp2 cd within 5 to 7 days, I got one. Hope
this helps, Bill.
"george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
> burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
> computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
> and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
> DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> George
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:44:05 PM

George,

I also ordered XP SP2 on cd and got it about 2 weeks ago - completely free.
--
Mara Jade

"Bill Summers" wrote:

> Hi, George, go to Microsoft.com , on the left pane under product Families,
> click on windows, & go down to " 10 reasons to install windows XP sp2, click
> on that, on the right side pf the screen click on order cd, & follow the
> instructions, you should get a sp2 cd within 5 to 7 days, I got one. Hope
> this helps, Bill.
> "george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
> > burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
> > computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
> > and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
> > DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> > George

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:45:46 PM

Sorry George..

Seems you meant SR2...Thought I saw SP2. In case anyone's interested, PC
Magazine has a great article called 'Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disk"

Mara Jade

"george2002" wrote:

> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a
> folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on
> another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up
> connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed.
> Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
> George

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:36:07 AM

That works but so does this http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm