downloading SR 2 to burn to CD

Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a
folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on
another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up
connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed.
Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
George
15 answers Last reply
More about downloading burn

    Hi George,

    Sure, just download the network version:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    It's a whopper at 266MB. The Auto-update version (aka the Express version)
    will be smaller as it will only download the parts you need. The full
    network version contains everything, including all critical updates since
    XP's original release, many of which you probably already have.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
    > burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
    > computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
    > and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
    > DSL connection . . . is it possible?
    > George

    You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.

    george2002 wrote:
    > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a
    > folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation
    > on another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial
    > up connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that
    > speed. Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
    > George

    You mean "Windows XP SP2"..?
    (Service Pack 2..)

    Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
    http://snipurl.com/8umo

    You can download all updates and burn them to CD..

    You can download each update manually - based off the KB Article number,
    etc. That way you can back it up/burn a CD of them in case you need them or
    use them to keep a slipstream/integrated (updated) Windows XP CD.

    How to use the Windows Update Catalog
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166
    (In order to use the Windows Update Catalog, you must use IE to get the
    patches..)

    Windows Update Catalog
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/en/default.asp
    (In order to use the Windows Update Catalog, you must use IE to get the
    patches..)

    Creating an Integrated Installation
    http://snipurl.com/el43

    Integrate software updates into your Windows installation source files
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828930

    Really customize your CD..
    http://unattended.msfn.org/

    You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
    month using the following:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms##-***.mspx

    At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
    with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
    abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
    for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
    the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
    fine) - note that future months will not work.

    As an example...

    December 2004's patches..
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-dec.mspx

    March 2005's patches..
    None released.. so that one will fail...

    May 2005's patches..
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-may.mspx

    July 2005's patches..
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms05-jul.mspx

    Once you get on the page with each month's list of patches.. You can go to
    the related KB articles and grab the appropriate files from there.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    In addition to the network download recommended by Rick you consider also
    using it to make a slipstreamed cd that gives you the same XP cd you would
    buy in the stores today. Go to
    http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.html
    which has all the instructions and the links for SP2 and Autotstreamer. You
    upgrade your Windows to XP SP2 with the downloaded SP2 file and then make
    the cd so that you can repair your XP installation later if needed.

    "" wrote:
    > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2
    > to a
    > folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and
    > installation on
    > another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a
    > dial up
    > connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that
    > speed.
    > Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
    > George

    If by SR 2 you mean SP2 then yes, I have no idea what SR 2 is.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-downloading-SR-burn-CD-ftopict408336.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1355451

    Sparda wrote:
    > "" wrote:
    > > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2
    > > to a
    > > folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and
    > > installation on
    > > another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a
    > > dial up
    > > connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that
    > > speed.
    > > Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
    > > George
    >
    > If by SR 2 you mean SP2 then yes, I have no idea what SR 2 is.

    If you mean SP2, I did it, saved it, and then burned it
    to a CD. SR2 I don't recognize.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Jerry wrote:
    > You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.

    Microsoft sent me one free. Didn't charge for shipping or anything else.
    I don't know if it's still available at that rate though.

    RobertVA wrote:
    > Microsoft sent me one free. Didn't charge for shipping or anything
    > else. I don't know if it's still available at that rate though.

    Jerry is what is known as "mistaken". (Unless there is in fact some country
    thatgets charged where no one else does.)

    Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
    http://snipurl.com/8umo

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Wrong.
    I had to pay shipping and handling when I ordered the SP2 CD.

    > Jerry wrote:
    >> You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.
    >
    > RobertVA wrote:
    >> Microsoft sent me one free. Didn't charge for shipping or anything
    >> else. I don't know if it's still available at that rate though.
    >
    > Jerry is what is known as "mistaken". (Unless there is in fact some
    > country thatgets charged where no one else does.)
    >
    > Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    > http://snipurl.com/8bqy
    >
    > Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
    > http://snipurl.com/8umo
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Received mine two days ago -- free -- including shipping, handling and/or
    postage.
    Ordered directly from MS site.
    Took a week from order to receipt.
    Came FedEx ground.

    Jerry wrote:
    > You can also order the SP2 CD from Microsoft - costs $5.

    I cannot be "wrong" when I clearly stated "Unless there is in fact some
    country that gets charged where no one else does."

    Where do you live Jerry? Why would you get charged for the FREE CD
    including shipping and handling found at the link above when it seems no one
    else does? A link that the first sentence clearly states:

    "Thank you for your interest in the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD. Microsoft
    will ship the CD to you free of charge. This CD includes the same Service
    Pack 2 software that is available for download from Microsoft Update."

    ".. ship the CD to you free of charge."

    Where do you live or did you get your CD from someone other than Microsoft
    and the web page above, Jerry?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Hi, George, go to Microsoft.com , on the left pane under product Families,
    click on windows, & go down to " 10 reasons to install windows XP sp2, click
    on that, on the right side pf the screen click on order cd, & follow the
    instructions, you should get a sp2 cd within 5 to 7 days, I got one. Hope
    this helps, Bill.
    "george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
    > burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
    > computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
    > and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
    > DSL connection . . . is it possible?
    > George

    George,

    I also ordered XP SP2 on cd and got it about 2 weeks ago - completely free.
    --
    Mara Jade

    "Bill Summers" wrote:

    > Hi, George, go to Microsoft.com , on the left pane under product Families,
    > click on windows, & go down to " 10 reasons to install windows XP sp2, click
    > on that, on the right side pf the screen click on order cd, & follow the
    > instructions, you should get a sp2 cd within 5 to 7 days, I got one. Hope
    > this helps, Bill.
    > "george2002" <bythesea687502@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a folder,
    > > burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on another
    > > computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up connection
    > > and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed. Here I have a
    > > DSL connection . . . is it possible?
    > > George

    Sorry George..

    Seems you meant SR2...Thought I saw SP2. In case anyone's interested, PC
    Magazine has a great article called 'Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disk"

    Mara Jade

    That works but so does this http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Mara Jade" <MaraJade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry George..
    >
    > Seems you meant SR2...Thought I saw SP2. In case anyone's interested, PC
    > Magazine has a great article called 'Build an XP-SP2 Recovery Disk"

    > Mara Jade
    >

    > "george2002" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to download XP SR 2 to a
    >> folder, burn it to a CD-RW and then use it to update and installation on
    >> another computer. I am working on a computer that only has a dial up
    >> connection and it takes an entire day to download SR 2 at that speed.
    >> Here I have a DSL connection . . . is it possible?
    >> George

Burner CD-Rom Windows XP