Sign in with
Your question

I am losing one two monitors.

Last response: in Windows XP
September 14, 2010 3:01:49 PM

Hi all. I have a few users here at work that are running XP with a dual monitor setup. When they shutdown or remove from the docking station and then re attach, only one monitor is active. They have to go into display settings and re enable the second monitor. When they just restart, this does not happen. I find it unusual that three people are having the same problem. Any ideas?

More about : losing monitors

September 14, 2010 3:21:32 PM

That should read: "I am losing one of two monitors"
m
l
September 14, 2010 10:37:11 PM

Are these all Laptops (you talk about a docking station). If so, I'm guessing its a "Primary Display" issue. If the users are setting the second monitor (the one plugged into the dock) as the Primary Display, this can cause problems when that display is no longer present. This can be checked via the desktop properties (right-click on desktop -> Display PRoperties -> Settigns tab -> Use This device as the primary monitor)? You can click "Identify" to see which monitor is which. If the users are setting the external monitor to Primary, the settings will be lost when that monitor is no longer present. It's just a guess.

And someone else has a similar problem, might want to follow this thread too:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251253-45-windows-rem...

EDIT: If its not a primary display issue, it could be the drivers or the software suite that comes with the drivers (i.e. ATI Catalyst). This software might be over-writing the changes they are making. Don't know why it would happen on a shutdown but not a restart, but basically, the graphics drivers or softare might be reverting to some settings (especially if they setup some sort of profile or something).

As for why it happens to three people, do they know each other, did they each just get new comps, did someone install new drivers on each of their machines. Sometimes, the link isn't always clear, but is usually there.
m
l
Related resources
September 14, 2010 10:53:20 PM

Thank you for your reply. All the computers are laptops and all are the same model. They do not use the laptop display, rather the laptop is connected to the docking station and the lid is closed. There are two monitors connected to the docking station. I will read the thread associated with your link when I get home tonight. Thanks again.
m
l
September 15, 2010 12:34:32 AM

bostonmike said:
Thank you for your reply. All the computers are laptops and all are the same model. They do not use the laptop display, rather the laptop is connected to the docking station and the lid is closed. There are two monitors connected to the docking station. I will read the thread associated with your link when I get home tonight. Thanks again.

Don't go running to the other thread, its nothing I haven't posted here (I just linked it in case the other guy got a solution from someone else).

As for not using the laptop display, this could be an issue with the computer and the dock. I have a feeling the computer is somehow not seeing the external monitor at a pivotal moment and is thus defaulting to something safe (and losing the external monitor settings). Still, Google (as I'm sure you've seen) doesn't seem to have many solutions to your problem. Not really sure what can be done.
m
l
September 15, 2010 2:42:25 AM

When this happens, One of the monitors still works. So it's something to do with extended desktops. Maybe I'' try to find updated drivers tomorrow.
m
l
!