X58i Memory Problems and OC

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hello guys:

Since the day I booted my XFX X58i Mobo I have had problems making it post with more than 1 (2gb) dimm of tripple channel PC1333 (10600) Corsair XMS Memory. Here is what I've done in chronological order, just to try and see if any of you are kind enough to help some of the people with this same problem who have posted here:

System:
Proc : Intel Core I7 920 2.66ghz.
Memory : 3 x 2gb dimms (PC 1333) Corsair XMS.
HD : Seagate Barracuda.
Video Card : Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 (896 mb) PCI-E.
PSU : Agiler 750W ATX Power Supply.

1 - Assembled PC, Installed all components, installed 3 x 2gb dimms on GREEN slots, as stated in mobo documentation.
Result: Would not boot, stuck at code 88 on onboard LED.
2- Removed 3 x 2gb dimms and installed 3 x 2gb dimms on BLACK slots.
Result: Computer booted, posted, went into BIOS to set date / time; exited BIOS, reset, computer would not post again, stuck at step D4 on onboard LED.
3- Reset CMOS, reset BIOS, attempted boot.
Result: No post or boot.
4- Checked cables, connections, etc.
5- Removed 1 x 2gb dimm, set the other two on black slots, in dimm slots 2 and 4.
Result: Computer posted and booted, went into BIOS to set date / time; exited BIOS, reset, computer would not post again, stuck at step D4 on onboard LED.
6- Reset CMOS, reset BIOS, attempted boot.
7- Removed another 2gb dimm, leaving the system with 1 x 2gb dimm on the #2 slot.
Result: Computer posted and booted, went into BIOS, set date / time, reset, installed Windows XP Pro SP3 (I hate Vista), installed drivers, antivirus, software for video card, etc.
8 - Tried looking for an upgrade to BIOS but could not find one on the official XFX site, read mentions of an upgrade on OC forums.
9 - Read guide to OC Intel Core I7 920, and attempted a slight increase on QPI speed through BIOS, took it from 133 to 140.
Result: Computer would not post or boot.
10- Read about setting manual memory voltage, looked up the corsair memory voltage needs, set it like so in BIOS (1.5v) and attempted to boot with 3 and 2 dimms installed.
Result: Computer would not post or boot.
11 - Reset CMOS, BIOS, reset date / time.
Result: Computer Working with 2gb of ram and very stable.
12- Tried each of the memory sticks individually to scratch off bad ram, and they all worked on their own.

Now the problem seems to be that any measure of memory beyond 2gb hangs the post sequence at D4, which is a check of the 540kb of memory or something like that. I have not been able to boot with more than 1 dimm installed. The OC attempt was to see how much of a slight change the mobo would stably allow, which is NONE.

What really vexes me is the fact that the board booted with 6gb installed once, and then with 4gb too, so the randomness leads me to believe im facing a SOFTWARE problem on the BIOS end. Also, finding any sort of information online is a great hassle, and the documents available at XFX are mediocre at best. The Support Tickets posted at their site take long to be addressed.

To be honest, I dont see how much of a problem it can be to address this issue, but if XFX does not address it soon I see a lot of Returns going their way, and possibly a future Class Action Suit because of misleading specifications regarding this product, which is stated to support up to 12gb of RAM. Its sad that those of us who went out on a limb to purchase this cutting edge technology will not get to fully enjoy it but by the time the prices for it have gone down.

I bed anyone out there who has found a solution to this to post it here, it is killing my office designer to be without a computer, and business is losing money to it. (I live in Venezuela, purchased the card in Miami and took it back with me, so returning it, for me, is a great hassle).

Thank you and hope this helps anyone who is experiencing this problem too.

E.
P.S: The board doesnt allow any tweaking to OC, at least in the attempts I've done. Any tips regarding a safe way to OC it to around 3ghz will be greatly appreciated. (Like, step by tep ways of doing it, im not very knowledgeable on OC'ing).

Mondoman

Splendid
I know it's frustrating, but an intermittent problem doesn't necessarily mean software. The most common problem (and my guess for what you have) is buying so-called "performance" memory that is in fact factory-overclocked RAM. This often causes incompatibility problems on initial setup because it needs a higher-than-standard memory/DIMM voltage setting in the BIOS.

Just having the system boot up is not a good test of memory function. Download the freely available bootable CD image of memtest86+ and run that for a number of hours to rule out major memory errors. Once you have no errors there, you can run one or more stress testing programs under Windows, such as Orthos or similar Prime95-based programs.

What exact model number RAM do you have, and what voltage is printed on the side of each DIMM? The DDR3 standard voltage is 1.5V, so a slightly higher DIMM voltage may cure your problems, but that voltage varies from DIMM to DIMM so you need to look at what is printed on the side.

Good luck!

PS - "Bleeding edge" technology such as the i7 often has such issues, so if tech support is hard to get in your location, you might consider going with the high end of the previous generation for greater stability/maturity. Alternatively, use only specific part numbers of memory that have been tested by the MB manufacturer to work on your MB model. These can be found in a "qualified vendor list" or QVL on the web site of the MB maker.

PPS - Of course, make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed.

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hey Mondo! Wow man, thanks for the reply... I guess you're right about the fact that the memory "could" be the culprit, I will try your advice and see how that goes... The memory I have is Corsair XMS3 type TR3X6G133C9, according to the Corsair site it runs on 1.5V, which is what im forcing the mobo to use... maybe if I throw more juice at it it might work?.

Funny, I have tried the slightest overclocks today with no luck... like changing QPI frequency to 166 and lowering memory freq to 1066, nothing else, and the PC wont boot... I guess XFX sucks for OC'ing... if u have any tips in this regard, I would duly appreciate them.

Thanks again for the info friend... hard to find people who really want to help out.

Enrique

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Well, weekend went by and I didnt hear a word from XFX, their support sucks badly, like, you'd think they're located in Ghana. Anyway, I still have not been able to make my computer post or boot with more than 1 stick of 2gb of ram in it. I did a memtest86 check on every single stick by its own, and it didnt show errors. I am perplexed by this. Also, CPU-Z is showing my system to be running according to specs when I boot with 2gb. Is there anyone out there who has run into this problem and solved it? (BTW, my board came with bios version 1.1 and there are no current updates anywhere for the BIOS).

Mondoman

Splendid
Go ahead and try setting the DIMM/RAM voltage to 1.6V, then trying the 3 sticks installed. If that doesn't work, try 1.7V. I wouldn't go any higher than that if the RAM is rated at 1.5V.

I wouldn't go any higher than that either because the Intel memory controller is only rated for 1.65V, so you could damage more than just the RAM by overvolting too far.

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Well, I updated the bios, and although it works, and the new bios seems to have a lot more overclocking options, I am still unable to make it work regardless of what voltage I set the ram to... the problem of the post sequence getting stuck at d4 with more than 2 sticks of 2gb 1333 memory keeps happening. Also, memory still running at 1066 instead of 1333, adjusted qpi to 166 and downgraded memory to force 1066 to make it all run at 1333 and computer would not boot, reset cmos, still at a loss here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Bump...

Any suggestions here? I live in Venezuela, an RMA is not an option for me... please, if anyone has had luck with Overclocking or fixing the memory problem on an XFX X58i motherboard please post.

Thanks.

ELFC

ghost_shell

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I also have this board, and was trying to get the ram up at least 1333, or more so towards 1600. Im prety much a noob when it comes to over clocking. But I will post a support ticket Ive had with xfx suport in hopes that it shed some light on how to overclock the ram and the cpu. Mark is the customer suport person. Hope that helps some.

System : core i 7 920
Ram: corsair dominator 2gig x3 pc12800 1600mhz
Psu:antec 850 psu
Video card: evaga graphics card 8800 gts x2

When I try to change the setings of the bios such as Qpi Frequency from 4.800gt to 6.400gt or auto it stays at 4.800gt and memery frequency to the option Force DDR3-1333 it stays at 1066. Also when I change the Qpi Ref clock to try and get the memory to 1333 it fails to boot up and I have to press the cmos button on the back to reset it. I ve read on vairous web sites that other customers are having the same problems I have. I was woundering if there will be any bio update any time soon? And if so when? Other than those problems the mother board works fine. Thanks in advance.

[MARK_C_W 2/28/2009 4:51:17 PM] Hello, I will email you the latest BIOS update for this board. The QPI frequency on the 920 and 940 are locked at 4.8 by Intel. Only the 965 has the ability to change between the two. The memory multipliers for the 920 and 940 are also by default 6 and 8 but I believe they are updating the BIOS to include a 10 multiplier and increase the overclockability of the board which we expect soon. I will email you that BIOS as soon as I receive it. Thank you. Mark

[ 3/1/2009 4:52:40 AM] Thanks for sending me the bios, I in stalled them and got some new overclocking options, wich Im going to have to do some research to figure it out since Im not so overclocking savy. Also when I set the option for Force DDR3-1333 it still stays at 1066. Thanks again.

[MARK_C 3/10/2009 5:11:50 PM] Hello Big, The 920 and 940 CPUs memory multipliers are locked at 6 and 8. There is no 10 multiplier for those CPUs. I guess the 1333 option shouldn`t be there with those CPUs and I have metioned it because it is just a 10 multiplier. Thank you. Mark

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Hey Ghost:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I have installed the bios update myself. Since I did I have a slightly more open set of OC options, however, I have not gotten any of them to work. Also, I cannot make the board post with more than a single stick of 2gb ram in a dimm, or 2 x 2gb sticks in dimms 1 & 2, meaning my memory is running in single channel mode, which sucks. But anyway, if you managed to OC the board to the slightest degree, I would appreciate whatever you can provide as info. Also, did you not have any problems with the memory?

Thanks again.

E.

ghost_shell

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
If I remeber correctly something about if the ram was above 1333 the mother board will only reconize only 1 stick if you put it in the green slots, i think wich are the tri chanel memory. i have all 3 of my 6 gigs of ram in all the black slots and works fine. Wich are slots 1 3 and 5 but i think if you download the manal its the reverse? so 2 4 and 6? anyways put them in the black slots only and should work. When I 1st tried to install the memory i put them in the green slots and it wouldnt boot up till i mess around with it so much that the black slots were the only ones that would take the memory. Like ive said im a noob to ocing so if I ever find out how oc anything ill let you know.

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Nah ghost, I tried that, in fact, I got it to boot ONCE with the dimms in the black slots... it is tripple channel memory, but that only works if you actually have 3 sticks in there, doesnt do anything but run on single channel. Anyway, keep in touch with the OC thing...

ghost_shell

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=212711
Found this go to the 2nd page about the center of the post. Tried the settings and acutly got the qpi frequenecy to 6.4gts. Only last a miniute but im guessing its because i didnt have a better psu, currently using a 850 watt. The guy on the post even had his ram over clocked too. Hes using a 940 i7 though. Still worked on my i 7 920 but like I said it didnt last long. But damn cant mess withat blck block thing or it wont boot up..... Hope that helps you out.

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Heya Ghost:

Well, last night was very boring, the PC, which had been stable with 2 x 2gb of RAM in dimms 1 & 2 suddenly started rebooting itself. So I spent the night doing a memtest check on all my sticks, which turned up with no errors except when I put those 2 dimms in slots 1 & 2.

With regards to this slight OC, I had read this and have it bookmarked. The guy posting said he did a slight "mod" to the NB. He then said he didnt want to post an incomplete or misleading guide to the Overclock, I've been checking the post out for the last week and a half and the guy hasnt posted again... also, there is no way to register in those forums (that I can find) to actually ask the guy for help.

Im gonna link what I've found online for you to check out... maybe it helps you more than me. I wrote an email to a guy called DocOc at motherboards.org, he did an OC and a review of the board and im hoping he replies with a guide. If I get it I'll be sure to send it to you.

So yeah, The VapourWare guy in that post you found posted some very nice pics, only hoping he makes good on that guide he mentioned. Thanks again man, and good luck.

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Ok, today I finished testing my memory with memtest86... this is kinda strange, whenever I place a single dimm on the board, and test it, they can all get well past the 40 passes without fliching. When I place 2 sticks on the board, one in dimm 1 and one in dimm 2, the test fails at Test 0 and the board resets. I dont know what this means, if anything I know that my ram is working correctly on their own... I dont think the board's configured to use single channel dimms 1 & 2 anyway, but it did work for more than a week.

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Im RMA'ing the board... too much fuss... I bought an MSI which I found in Venezuela, not too cheap, cost me like 280, but hey, it would've cost more to buy it in the US and have it sent here. Anyway, good luck... I plan to sell the XFX X58i in its box with the plastic still on when I get it... If I do find something I'll post it here... Cya

lucafett

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Heya Kaiza... not yet. I sent it to them 10 days ago, cost me $50 to get it there... I got what seemed like a "way too fast" diagnosys saying the board was faulty, after that, they said they were sending me a new board, after that, they said they'd provide tracking information. Its been around 9 days and still havent heard from them again. To be honest, when I get the new board I plan to sell it without even trying it out, like, with the plastic and all.

kaiza

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Ok lol well I prefer if they sent me another board of equal performance instead of this one. I have never seen a board with so many problems and of its class