Thermal Limitations of Athalon x2 4200+

Preclude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
I currently have an Athalon x2 4200+ overclocked to 2.8Ghz on air. Idle it runs at 43C. Full load (Produced by running 2 instances of Pime95, 1 on each core) it runs at 63C-65C.

My question is this too hot for this particular CPU, and if not what is my real limit.

I do know how to get temps lower, and I also know how to repaste/lap my CPU if I need to. I would just like to know what my limits are as far as temperature.

Here's AMD's technical specs for Thermal limits on the AMD X2 units (this document is for AM2 chips).

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/33954.pdf

Actually, page 18 Lists AMD Part # ADA4200IAA5CU
Tcase Max @ 55°C to 70°C
Thermal Design Power @ 89.0 W

So your absolute max temp is 70c. Considering you push up to 65C at full load now, I personally wouldn't push anymore without increased cooling ability. Considering that 4200+ is rated @ 2.2Ghz stock, you've got a 600Mhz increase as it is. Doing the math, I think that's about a 27% increase? Correct me if I'm wrong.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
wait, Prime 95 is extreme stress, see what temp you get from maxing out your computer with stuff like encoding. Prime 95 is quite ? heavy and creates quite alot more heat than normal...

? = forgot what it was called